1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveat Emptor not enough with Oceania

Discussion in 'Cruises' started by frank morris, Mar 16, 2015.

1. frank morris

First problem is that this cruise line isn't honest in their advertising. Specifically they have Pitcairn Island as a stop (not scenic cruising) on their Chile to Tahiti cruise. They don't tell you that they have never actually landed a passenger there in the three years they have had this listed. When they parked offshore and some islanders offered to take us to their island in a longboat, we were told we weren't allowed to go ashore. My complaint letter was answered with "Captain's discretion". In their brochures the possibility on not landing is never mentioned.

Another Oceania trick is selling you their airline tickets . You do not know the routing until maybe 50 or 60 days before the cruise. This is within the "no-refund" 90 days. We requested Tahiti to Honolulu which should have been a 5:50 non-stop on Hawaiian Air. Oceania routed us through LAX: 9 hours there, 5 hours waiting and 6 to HNL. Since I was with my 92 year old friend we called and requested our $1100 airfare returned., Oceania said OK but would charge us a $900 penalty! We didn't go to Hawaii as you might have figured - easier to make a seperate trip.

So avoid the anxiety deceit and dishonesty vcruise on some other line.

Grant Ritchie likes this.
  2. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

Oceania and other cruise lines offer two ways of booking airline tickets through them. One is to let them pick the flights and the other is to pay a deviation fee and you pick the flights. This isn't new and as Oceania states on their website, they recommend you working with a travel agent, who would have assisted you with all this. There is no dishonesty or deceit involved, just that you were not aware of your options. If you handle your own arrangements, not using a professional, there are many little nuances that you can miss, just as in any DIY project.

3. frank morris

Thanks for you thoughhs...
    Oceania stated when we tried to cancel that they never used Hawaiian Air. If we were aware that all they used were worn-out (broiken seats) always loate Air Tahiti Nui we would not have ever thought of paying them for air-travel. This was not know by Americvan Discount Cuises (travel agent to you) and never communicated when they took our money - not until it was non-refeundable.

I normally do independent travel and have done so for 50 years including working for the airlines. A passenger should not have to a lot of reserarch to trust a cruuise company.

The deciet and dishonesty referred to the phoney Cruise stop. The air nonsense is merely disreputable.

4. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

I have never heard of the cruise company your booked with, but if they handled your arrangements, they should have provided you with your options of booking your air. It is them, not the cruise line that you should be upset with. If presented with the options in booking air and you decided not to pay the deviation fee, then the flights are what they booked based on contract, how many seats are available for the number of passengers from the same departure airport to handled transfers.

As for that island stop. Any port of call can be changed, limited, restricted by the Captain.

5. McNeal

ear Frank

I'm sorry for your difficulties with Oceania, especially considering I'm a top tier cruiser with NCL and have been looking forward to trying Oceania (and Regent 7 Seas) since their recent merger with NCL.

That said, I can't tell from your post whether you are just "venting" (venting is a good thing) or whether you are asking for help and advice on resolving or rectifying problems you encountered with Oceania.

If you're venting, I'm delighted Elliott's Forums have been able to provide a shoulder to lean on and a caring ear to listen to your troubles.

If you are looking for advice on redress of greviences, I would suggest the following steps.
    1. Take a deep breath and force your intellect to take over.

2. Post the exact wording of the brochure (or internet link) used by Oceania which you believe created a false itinerary. (Assuming Pitcairn is a tender port, rough seas, surf or weather are always a deciding factor on any cruise line. I've booked cruises on NCL & RCI that have been unable to land at their own private islands half the times. Regarding the idea of having local natives take you ashore might violate the local tourist/visa laws and/or be dangerous to your personal safety)

3. Your complaint regarding air transport is not uncommon. It's one of the reasons I always book my own transport to and from cruises. (I'm uncertain from your post whether you live in Hawaii and were returning home after the cruise or whether you live on the mainland and were trying to set up a post cruise vacation in Hawaii.)

4. When you think you're ready to appeal Oceania's initial response, make sure everything is in writting (no phone calls).
    You will find Elliott Corporate Contacts Info: http://elliott.org/contacts/oceania/

Primary contact
    Victor Gonzalez
    Executive vice president of passenger services
    VGonzalez@oceaniacruises.com /* */

Secondary contact
    Bob Binder
    President
    BBinder@oceaniacruises.com /* */

Chief executive (*)
    Frank Del Rio
    Pres. and CEO of NCL Holdings
    fdelrio@NCL.com

I'll look for your follow up post, so we can continue to be of assistance.

John

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  6. frank morris

7. McNeal

Frank
    This reply post of yours seems to only quote my post and that of another poster but does not appear to have any verbiage offered by yourself. Did you forget to type in your reply?

John

JVillegirl541 likes this.
  8. frank morris

9. McNeal

Frank
    You are not posting any of your own thoughts or ideas.

I think it's because you are clicking on the "Quote" button.

Intead click on the "Reply" button and then type in your reply ideas or statements in the box at the bottom and then click on "Post Reply"

John

10. frank morris

Responding to NCL fan...
    It's not easy when you "arrive" at a given cruise line. NCL has the good dock at Cozumel ask remember. Oceania, despite my bad experience, is different the the RCL, Celebrity, Princess crowd. They are more expensive to start, have really good beef, good free drink parties (not just cheap champagne) but on the other hand have no "dressy" nights at all. My friend and I think that not even 10% of the men had even a tie. This included New Year's Eve!

A pathetic duty free shop without liquor, figs or eye-drop. You needed to see the Doctor to get eye-drop ($145). Also two open smoking areas on the pool deck which allowed cigars! Also an annoying buffet where you have to ask for every item and often explain (like what a taco is).

So check out whether you in. Personally I think Celebrity is ahead i

11. frank morris

Thanks John - it's not my favorite intuitive website. I thought I was responding to the NCL person and I think I only wrote to myself. I'll try a few moire vtimes then i'm out-of-touch fore a month.

12. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Mr Morris, there is no "NCL Person" on this forumn. Just advocates that want to assist you in solving your issue.

PS: though we do have an Advocate who is a frequent cruiser on NCL :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  13. frank morris

There was a message to mine from someone who liked NCL. I couldn't fiond it.
    Thanks again for the addresses at Oceania but I think since they have responded I don't need the basic thoughts.

Frank

14. Leslie

Advocate

For future reference, the one thing to understand about all cruise lines regarding their air - they specialize in cruises and not air. They offer air as a courtesy, but they don't look at the best routing, specific airline, etc, unless you pay for an air deviation/customization. This is the only way you can guarantee your preferred flights/airline/routing.

Grant Ritchie and JVillegirl541 like this.
  15. frank morris

Thanks for your thoughts. The problem was they wouldn't or couldn't tell us the routing until it was non-refundable. They claim to have an in-house air operation.
    If we weren't trusting people we should have cancelled the air 91 days in advance and retrieved our $1100 when we still could.
    Neither American Discount Ceruises nor Oceania disclosed that they didn't use Hawaiian Airlines. or we could deviate in any way. Condidering their callousness in the matter, I guess we are lucky they didn't route us via Sierra Leonec with a three day layover in Ebolaville.

16. johnbaker

johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I think the answer here is to not use American Discount Cruises in the future. I don't know any TA that recommends that you use / purchase the cruise line's air package simply because you have no control over the routing or the airline plus its normally more expensive than booking on your own. (I'm sure a TA will now pop up and prove me wrong).
    In short... I think its time for you to find someone else to book your cruises.

JVillegirl541 and Grant Ritchie like this.