CarFax

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 28, 2021
I'm looking at a car that is supposed to be new 2020, leftover, Demo. I felt something might be amiss so I paid for and ran a CarFax. It shows a first owner and registration, along with an odometer update.
Would it be normal for the dealership to be listed as the "first owner". I would think the first actual purchaser would be the recorded as the first owner. I've never seen a Carfax before this so I don't know what it should look like for a new car. Any answers would be appreciated.

Edited by a moderator to move to new thread from this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 28, 2021
detailed-history.svg
Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.
My report from Carfax Canada. Looks nothing like the ones pictured in the link. Mine shows no records for anything except in detailed history. Does this pic look normal for a new, never sold car? There was 3589 KM on it on July 16, 2020. There is currently 3781 KM on the car, so only a couple of hundred KM from July 2020 to March 28, 2020.
The salesman is telling me there is not the full new car warranty because the warranty started on the "in service" date. He hasn't been able to tell me what that date is which makes me think something is fishy. I have this feeling that the car was sold on 2020 Jan 13, driven until it was returned, repossessed or bought at auction or whatever on 2020 Jul 16 and the odometer reading was recorded when the car checked in to the dealer inventory on 2020 Jul 16. Does it seem normal for the dealership to be listed as the first owner and government registration issued or was the vehicle actually sold before and is being presented to me as new?

Detailed Historycarfax kia.jpg

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you asked the dealer why there are so many miles on the car? Is the dealership shown the same dealer you are purchasing the car from?

You should check with your Department of Motor Vehicles and ask if they have a ruling on how many miles a car is considered new? Your laws in Canada may be different than our in the US and here, every state has their own rules.

I wouldn’t be buying a car without an explanation from the dealer on why there are so many miles on the car. If it seems fishy to you, it might be.

Reactions: VoR61
Mar 28, 2021
Thanks Neil, appreciate the advice.
I went in this morning and confronted the salesman with the CarFax. He almost fell over. Yes, it's the same dealer. I was going to be charged the price of a new 2020 that was 15 months old. Even the bill of sale was written up stating it was a "New" car. I firmly believe that had I proceeded that they would have taken my money, then told me I had to contact Kia Canada to transfer the warranty. Then I would have found out that I was getting 15 months less warranty. Thankfully buying the CarFax saved the day but who runs a CarFax on a new car. You shouldn't have to. I've since learned that, worldwide, the 2020/2021 Kia Soul, along with a couple of other Kia models are using a new design CVT that they call an IVT. It's having a high failure rate and at low mileage. Seems Kia is having trouble keeping up with demand and it can take weeks to months to get a replacement. This might explain the mileage on the car, perhaps it was returned by a disgruntled customer who had an early transmission failure and that's when Kia recorded the odometer reading. I'll never know for sure but I told them to keep there vehicle.