Car Rental Toll Road Charges in Orlando

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 2, 2018
I traveled to California last summer and not my first time so was quite surprised to find the Golden Gate Bridge no longer had toll booths, all electronic- I was in a rental car so I was charged later, in my case justified. Had a similar experience on Florida last year going to Destin Beach, there was no toll booth there. I just paid Alamo when they got the bill and forwarded it to me. Sometimes you just don't know ahead of time.

May 5, 2018
I have had similar issues with rental cars and tolls in the past. I have found that the toll transponders for EzPass that are mounted on the window do not provide 100% shielded protection when in the closed position.

I have two basic solutions. Use a lane that has a real person and can provide you with a receipt when paying with cash. Also tell the toll taker that you are paying with cash and not with the electronic transponder. Even after getting a receipt(s) you are charged for the toll plus the rental company toll service fee the receipt(s) is / are your proof of paying with cash and this should help in getting the charges removed.

My second solution is to carry some aluminum foil with you, probably about two feet that you can fold up and place in a travel bag for quick access. Once you pick up the rental vehicle wrap several strips of foil around the case when in the closed position. Keep in mind that TSA may ask about the foil.

Another issue you need to be aware of is that the rental companies will charge the toll service fee for every day you have the vehicle after the first time an electronic toll charge occurs. Foe example if you plan on renting a vehicle for seven days and on the second day an electronic toll charge is made you will be subjected to paying the service fee for six days, even if you do not use any more toll roads, including bridge fee use. As in this case, it appears the driver was charged a service fee of $25. If the vehicle was not returned until six days later the additional service fee would be $150.

May 5, 2018
In reply to "amzarsmi" posting on 4 May 2018. I live in California (Sunnyvale near San Jose) that uses Fastrak, which is a must have item for drivers as there are no toll takers at the bridges.

Fastrak is also used for the car pool and express toll lanes in California.

If you are a frequent traveler to California, from out of state, I would suggest going to the Fastrak website (https://secure.thetollroads.com/customer/enroll.do?cmd=goto) and create an account to have the transponder mailed to you. You can also request the EzPass transponder by mail. The other solution would be to have a friend pick up a transponder from an authorized location and mail it to you. Keep in mind your friend will have to pay a $25 fee at the time of pick up, which is then credited to your account once you open and register the transponder.

Teri Bergin

Staff Member
Advocate
Mar 12, 2016
Just a warning: EZ Pass (used in the Northeast) does not work in Florida. In Florida, you need either a E-Pass (sold by the Greater Orlando Expressway Authority) or a SunPass (sold through the state). Both work throughout the state.

May 5, 2018
I am aware that there are at least three different electronic toll systems in the country. EzPass is in numinous states in the northeast from Maine down to Maryland then west along the great lakes to Illinois. Fastrak is in California and then there is the system in Florida. As for EzPass the only way that I know when using a rented vehicle is to close the box but the problem remains is that the closed box does not guarantee that the signal will not be sensed by the readers at the tollbooths. Hence I wrap the box in foil and use the toll lane with a real person and get a receipt.

Since I live in California I have the current Fastrak transponder that has the switch for one and more than one occupants. For the few times I have gone on business travel in California the rental car was equipped with the open and closed box. Fortunately while on travel in California I did not have to use Fastrak.

I have also been to Florida for both business and personnel travel. I was told before the first time I flew to Orlando on business travel to not use the transponder to pay the tolls but to use a lane so I could get a receipt and avoid the rental company service charge.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We bought a $5 Sunpass when we arrived in Florida. There is no way to turn it off I can see. You can only use it on one card. There is also a $21 transponder that is removable you can buy as well. I believe you can turn that one on and off

Aug 29, 2015
Florida has a sticker transponder as well as the kind that can be removed. The sticker kind is $5 and the other kind is more. When we drove to FL a couple of years ago in a rented large SUV, I ordered a sticker online and applied it, the. Scraped it off when we returned home. It was interesting going in and seeing how the charges were applied after each toll. I like that you can predict the tolls based on the route you plan to take.

The Florida one works in Georgia and South Carolina as well, but no where else.

Aug 9, 2017
Florida has a sticker transponder as well as the kind that can be removed.
A search of the Budget site seems to indicate that Budget has moved to the "sticker" type and it is often just above the state inspection stickers and sometimes behind the rearview mirror . Unless you examine the sticker carefully you might not even be aware it is present or its intended purpose. You can see the two different type of Sunpass devices at https://www.sunpass.com/howSunPassWorks