Car Rental Toll Road Charges in Orlando

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 27, 2018
I rented a car from Budget for the first week in January, 2018. We always paid cash for our tolls.
Today, April 27,2018, I noticed a charge on my credit card for $25 for toll fees. I paid the toll fees in cash.
This doesn't make sense.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you turn the transponder off?

In the state of Florida, vehicles are equipped with a transponder tag. The transponder is located near the rearview mirror. To use the transponder, move the switch into the “on” position as you drive through the designated Sun-Pass Only, ePass Only or Leeway High-speed lanes. The following lanes will accept e-Toll: Alligator Alley (Broward/Collier), Beachline Expressway (Orlando), Cape Coral Toll Bridge, Garcon Point Bridge (Milton), Homestead Extension (Miami-Dade), Midpoint Memorial Toll Bridge, Northern Coin, Pinellas Bayway (St. Petersburg), Polk Parkway (Lakeland), Sanibel Causeway, Sanibel Causeway Toll Bridge, Sawgrass Expressway (Broward), Selmon Crosstwon Expressway (Tampa), Seminole Expressway (Orlando), Southern Coin, Southern Connector Extension (Orlando), SR 112 - Airport Expressway, SR 408, SR 417, SR 429, SR 414 & SR 528, SR 522 (Osceola Parkway), SR 551 (South Golden Rod Road), SR 836 - Dolphin Expressway, SR 874 - Don Shula Expressway, SR 878 - Snapper Creek Expressway, SR 924 - Gratigny Parkway, Suncoast Parkway (Tampa), Sunshine Skyway (St. Petersburg), Turnpike Mainline, Veterans Expressway (Tampa)

If you DO NOT want to use the toll service, place the switch in the “off” position.

You should be aware that throughout the country many road authorities are moving to systems that eliminate the ability to pay cash for tolls. These roads are called “cashless tolls” and drivers on these roads are not able to pay cash once they have entered these roads. If you are travelling on a road with cashless tolls, you will opt into using Budget e-Toll.

Note: Florida Turnpike (Homestead Extension) in Miami-Dade County (Milepost 0 to Milepost 47) is a cashless highway, you opt-in to use e-Toll.

When a renter utilizes these lanes, the toll system identifies the car and charges the standard cash fee for toll roads as published by the toll authority, plus the convenience fee of $3.95 per day ($19.75 maximum per month).

All toll charges will appear on the renter’s credit card statement as Budget Rent A Car Tolls, Great Neck, NY.

To obtain a receipt please visit e-Tolls.com or call 1-866-642-2

Jan 30, 2018
There are a few places in the Tampa area that you don't even know you are going through a toll. We have received bills in the mail - fortunately we were in our own car, so the administrative fee was only about $3 - this was a couple of years ago.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Try to get a statement that lists the charges. It could be a ticket for a violation. It could be etolls you weren't aware of, as others have said. You should only be charged for the transponder if you used it in which case you may be charged a daily fee for every day of the rental up to 5 days even when you didn't use it. Some companies have recently changed the policy so you are only charged the daily fee for days you used it.

Apr 27, 2018
As far as I know we didn't have a toll transponder. I do not have receipts because we paid cash and it was almost 4 months ago.
I think we only went through a toll when we went to and from the airport.

Sep 19, 2015
I think all cars rented in FL have a toll transponder. Neil listed the Budget info above.

States having these toll roads, and some without the ability to pay in cash, is a real problem for those renting cars.

Apr 27, 2018
I called budget e-toll line. There were three charges. Two where we paid cash and one where there was only electronic payment.
They waived the two tolls where we paid cash. I only have to pay for one of the charges. I explained to them that nobody told me that there was a transponder and I never touched it. I will be asking a lot more questions in the future. They were very helpful and I was satisfied with the results.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I called budget e-toll line. There were three charges. Two where we paid cash and one where there was only electronic payment.
They waived the two tolls where we paid cash. I only have to pay for one of the charges. I explained to them that nobody told me that there was a transponder and I never touched it. I will be asking a lot more questions in the future. They were very helpful and I was satisfied with the results.
I am very happy to read your post, Richard. It's good that Budget did the right thing. This toll thing on rental cars is being handled by the authorities about as badly as possible. What kind of idiot decided to put these things in rentals and not tell the renter? We are relying on the agent to tell us ... fat chance of that. If you come from a state without toll roads, you are completely clueless about what they're talking about unless you've been educated on Elliott I guess.

Teri Bergin

Staff Member
Advocate
Mar 12, 2016
If you leave the Orlando airport and head south (towards Disney on 417/Osceola Parkway) or East (towards Cocoa Beach on 528/Beachline), the roads are transponder/license plate only and the rental car company will be charged. If you head north (towards downtown Orlando on 436/Semoran Boulevard), there is no toll. If you head west (towards Universal on 528/Beachline), you can pay cash or use the transponder. It's almost as if we want to catch you doing something and charge you extra. As a resident of Orlando, I'm sorry. :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you leave the Orlando airport and head south (towards Disney on 417/Osceola Parkway) or East (towards Cocoa Beach on 528/Beachline), the roads are transponder/license plate only and the rental car company will be charged. If you head north (towards downtown Orlando on 436/Semoran Boulevard), there is no toll. If you head west (towards Universal on 528/Beachline), you can pay cash or use the transponder. It's almost as if we want to catch you doing something and charge you extra. As a resident of Orlando, I'm sorry. :(
Teri, welcome to Elliott!

No need to apologize- this happens all day over Florida. The problem is the car rental companies- they should all mention this when you rent in Florida.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Excellent, glad they resolved it for you. This will become more common around the country as they continue to replace manned tollbooth with electronic-only tools.

Sep 19, 2015
I think Barry is correct, more regions are installing cash less tolls, and it can be a surprise to the traveler -- it would be one thing is the system was same or there was a universal pass so people could buy one, instead it is a mish mash of different companies and policies and now "convenience fees" for having the toll transponder.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think Barry is correct, more regions are installing cash less tolls, and it can be a surprise to the traveler -- it would be one thing is the system was same or there was a universal pass so people could buy one, instead it is a mish mash of different companies and policies and now "convenience fees" for having the toll transponder.
Correct. We are driving to Florida and I reminded my wife as soon as we cross the border we need to stop and find a place that sells the Sunpass.

Apr 30, 2018
I do not understand about purchasing a Sun Pass and installing it in the rental car.
If the agent does not deactivate the rental car transponder you will then be paying the tolls with two transponders.
I have rented a car from Budget have not seen the transponder near the mirror.
The best thing to do would be to ask to agent to deactivate the transponder upon renting.
My agent neglected to tell me about a transponder.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I do not understand about purchasing a Sun Pass and installing it in the rental car.
If the agent does not deactivate the rental car transponder you will then be paying the tolls with two transponders.
I have rented a car from Budget have not seen the transponder near the mirror.
The best thing to do would be to ask to agent to deactivate the transponder upon renting.
My agent neglected to tell me about a transponder.

Buying your own and using it in a rental will save money because the car rental companies also charge a fee for using the transponder. Some are daily, sine are flat fee.

If you buy your own Sunpass you are saving the fee.

Teri Bergin

Staff Member
Advocate
Mar 12, 2016
Correct. We are driving to Florida and I reminded my wife as soon as we cross the border we need to stop and find a place that sells the Sunpass.
You can buy one at most convenience stores. Once you have the transponder, you just set up the account online with a credit card. Very easy!