1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Rental damage issue

Discussion in 'Car rentals' started by Al43, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Al43

I have some questions regarding rental damage claims and would love feedback/advice.

I rented a car from Nü / Fasttrack Rentals (located at the Westin Hotel in LAX) in June for work. There was a $500 deposit charge done on my credit card before paying the rental fee and receiving the vehicle. Everything went fine until the last day of the rental. When I returned the car there was a small dent on the driver's door from an adjacent parked vehicle, so I went through the process of having insurance claims done for the damage. My car insurance is serving as my primary and my credit card (used to pay for the rental) is my secondary for coverage, but no damage estimate has been received by my insurance yet. My deposit is still being charged on my card, which is confusing because I don't know if I'm going to be double charged on both my deposit and my insurance for this. Again would really appreciate any help on this.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Did you call the rental place and find out why the deposit is still being held?

3. Al43

Nobody picks up the phone when i try calling so I emailed them, waiting for the reply atm.

4. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Oh, the rental car companies just love to hang on to your money. I would call, speak to the station manager, explain that you are taking care of the little ding and that you want your deposit refunded within 5 business days. Sweetly tell him/her that you will be disputing the $500 on your credit card if that doesn't happen. Don't buy into the "well it will take 30 days" baloney. It should have been refunded automatically the day after you returned the vehicle.

If you get blown off or referred to 'corporate', insist on an email address and handle it all in writing. You don't have to be a victim here, you acted in good faith to take care of the damage, and you deserve to have your deposit returned the day after you brought the car back. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Neil likes this.
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I have never heard of this car rental company so good luck.

If it's in the hotel have you tried calling the hotel to find out the desk hours? I know with the rental places in the hotels the desk is manned many times only if there is a reservation to be picked up.

6. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

LAX has literally dozens of rental car companies nobody ever heard of. I used one once, that was enough.

Neil likes this.
  7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You are right. The problem is that we don't have company contacts for those.

8. Al43

I got an email reply back today from the manager, who wrote that they sent the damage claim to my insurance and that the $500 deposit was being held to cover any insurance deductibles that may be on my policy. He said to contact my insurance adjuster to check if I have any deductibles, and if not the deductible would be refunded. I'll be contacting my adjuster as soon as I can in any event, but I'm definitely preparing to push strongly on this if it isn't properly resolved. I'll certainly be updating things as they come along, and many thanks for the feedback, it really is a big help.

Carrie Livingston likes this.
  9. Al43

So I spoke with the insurance adjuster today about the damage claim, the damage estimate by the rental company is priced just over $1000 for a door dent, which I am quite dubious of given my own experience dealing with body repairs and feel that they may be inflating costs. The adjuster said that my coverage does have a deductible of $1000, which would eat up into the deposit and some, but the adjuster also said that they would have someone check the damage and report back by a week's time to finalize the damage amount (and produce a more realistic cost assessment). I'm hoping that my credit card's secondary coverage helps reimburse the out-of-pocket cost for repairs, but it's a big headache nonetheless.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Tell them you want a copy of the repair bill to see what they are fixing. That sounds a little high for a door ding, but you want to see the detailed bill.

Al43 likes this.
  11. PhotoTraveler

"the damage estimate by the rental company is priced just over $1000 for a door dent,"

Which we all know will be claimed for, but not actually repaired.

It will be circled as a known damage spot on every subsequent renter's contract.

Claim, and repeat = Scam!

12. Al43

Finally have updates on the the damage claims, insurance knocked down the amount of the damage cost to $200 for the repair estimate for payment, so I just need to have my secondary insurance from my credit card company to reimburse the damage payments and also get my rental deposit back.

Aye, wouldn't be surprised at all.

sas80 likes this.
  13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Glad this is working out for you.

14. Al43

Just have to deal with the last headaches involved with the deposit refund and I can finally close the case. I really appreciate everybody's advice through this whole situation, it really helped me in working out on what I should do during difficult parts of the claims process. If there's any take away lessons I've learned from this whole experience in particular is that finding a relatively reputably rated rental car company should be a higher priority than simply finding a low price (which I happen to get through Travelocity), because at the very least better customer service goes a long way in facilitating handling and resolving possible issues. Collision damage waivers should also be carefully compared vs other types of coverage in order to better deal with potential vehicle issues. Many thanks again for everything.

Carrie Livingston likes this.
  15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

sas80 likes this.