Captain doesn't let me re-board the Breakway in St Kitts due to...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015
Andrew, that's exactly the point. Your PCP is basing her opinion on knowing years and maybe decades of your history and test results. The ship's doctor had to make the call without the benefit of all that. And without all of that data, he had to be conservative. I would have done the same thing.

Sep 19, 2015
Royal Caribbean does do blood transfusions but only in life threatening situations.

http://rdcr.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2013-williams-blood-transfusion-on-cruise-ships.pdf

I would like to point out one issue on the donor consent form

"I understand that, as the ship does not carry blood onboard, my
only alternative is to receive a blood transfusion from a volunteer
passenger or member of the ship's crew. I understand that, as
the ship is at sea at the time of my transfusion, the blood provided
by the volunteer passenger or crew member will be unable to be
tested for the presence of communicable diseases, included but
not limited to, hepatitis and/or the HIV / AIDS virus, and/or any
other diseases which may be transmitted by or contracted
through the blood"

So the blood is not thoroughly tested although there is a mention of rapid tests, one would have to be in a life or death situation. Here is list of diseases that can transmitted via untested blood

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1389957-overview

Of the 37 people listed in the RC study, 5 died, one is thought to have had a transfusion related reaction.

RC disembarked a passenger with a broken leg so there is no certainty as to how your situation would have been handled

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...-on-cruise-ship-has-surgery-blood-transfusion

But you were not on a RC cruise, so what they do is a moot point.

And also what your PCP thought is also a moot point. Your PCP does not know what the health care capabilities were on that ship. The Dr on the cruise line was in charge and your situation was one that the Dr was not comfortable with. You may argue that the ship Dr was overly cautious but that is the prerogative of the ship's Dr. It is true the ship Dr. does not know your complete medical history and had to make a decision at the time.

I understand that you are upset, but I also think a blood transfusion on a ship should be done in absolutely critical situation given the limitations -- as I mentioned my father recently had one and I would not want him to have one on a cruise ship or in St. Kitts unless he was on the brink of death.

Feb 24, 2017
I stand by my position, so there's no need to continue to debate what's over and done with. If anyone has any helpful suggestions (other than those already provided) regarding dealing with NCL, I'd appreciate it. Ideally (and reasonably, although many disagree) I'd be given a pro-rata cruise fare refund and expense reimbursement. Finally, I think participant's in a forum such as this should focus solely on providing helpful suggestions and advice (vs mainly criticism) to help the poster potentially achieve his or her goal(s). Going forward, that will be my approach when it comes to others' situations were I can offer information or advice.

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
. Finally, I think participant's in a forum such as this should focus solely on providing helpful suggestions and advice
Hi Andrew - I agree that is the purpose of this forum to provide advice and suggestions. However my view is that includes provide a realistic view on what an outcome might be and that does sometimes mean pointing out the flaws in the persons arguments. In this case we all think that the Captain and the Dr were right to refuse you permission to re-board.

On that note if you do decide to write asking for some form of credit I would avoid mentioning you think you should not have been denied boarding or that you think the dr lied by omission. As CP556 stated "polite, short, succinct letters dealing with clear facts and not emotion."

hope that helps.

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry if my comments sounded overly harsh; but one thing that is positive about hearing the reaction from people is to have an idea what others may think, including the person reviewing your complaint and request.

I agree that calling the ship Dr a liar and saying you know exactly what the best course of action would have been (ie stay in your room) is not a good tactic; neither would pointing out that NCL is behind the times in not offering blood transfusions.

You are more likely to receive a travel credit rather than an actual refund for the days missed on the cruise but I am not certain if this is an option you would consider after your experience with them.

Did you ever use the submission form with your initial request?

https://www.ncl.com/case-submission

Feb 24, 2017
Yes, the first step I took was using the submission form. A Guest Services person responded, wrote some very nice and thoughtful things, but said NCL would not adj / refund / reimburse. So I moved on to senior mgmt. At this point I'll be patient and see what, if anything, happens. I agree with a previous poster that antagonizing people is not a good strategy, and hopefully I didn't come on too strong with my letters, e-mails and voice mails. We'll see. And although I didn't like or agree with some of the posts here (content and tone), I did learn some things.

TE="Christina H, post: 57031, member: 1669"]I am sorry if my comments sounded overly harsh; but one thing that is positive about hearing the reaction from people is to have an idea what others may think, including the person reviewing your complaint and request.

I agree that calling the ship Dr a liar and saying you know exactly what the best course of action would have been (ie stay in your room) is not a good tactic; neither would pointing out that NCL is behind the times in not offering blood transfusions.

You are more likely to receive a travel credit rather than an actual refund for the days missed on the cruise but I am not certain if this is an option you would consider after your experience with them.

Did you ever use the submission form with your initial request?

https://www.ncl.com/case-submission[/QUOTE]

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As an NCL Captain friend of one of my wife few friend said when he read your letter that was forwarded to him, they
absolutely cannot do blood transfusions in a ship. They do not keep stored blood on a ship (which is only good for a short time period) and a ship is not a hospital that can do cross matching and insuring the blood is sanitary. The Captain was 100% correct putting you off the ship as it opens up NCL to a possible lawsuit if they allowed you to remain. How would you have paid for a $70,000 medical evacuation if you remained in and something happened?

Good luck I hope you find a sympathetic exec who might offer you a credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.