1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Cancelling Flight After Booking With Third Party

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Kera, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Kera

For the last few years, every time I needed to book a flight I would use SkyScanner. It hasn't let me down yet. I haven't had a problem with my tickets and Ive even been able to choose my seats outside of the 24hr departure time. When I was booking my flight for Paris, I was redirected to a site called Hop2. I didn't really think anything of it. The ticket was cheap and Ive used Skyscanner a million times. I went ahead and paid for my tickets and things went....relatively smoothly. It wasn't the same process that I usually take but the end result gave me my itinerary and confirmation number.

Fast forward a few weeks and I find out that I can not get on my flight. I review their costumer relations tab and although the ticket is non refundable it does state, in so many words, that it is possible. I immediately try calling their customer service number to no avail. An automated voice recording would pop up and say that the next representative will assist you then the line would go silent. I tried that quite a few times. After I realized that I want getting anywhere I decided to email the company. They responded relatively fast. Less than 24 hours. I was told that the ticket was strictly non-refundable but she could help me with an exchange. I emailed her back and told her that, that wouldn't work. A day later I was sent this email:

Dear Kera,

We are really sorry to hear, that you are unable to complete your trip as scheduled. However, the airline's fare rules must be applied in any case as this is the way your fare has been issued.

But we may still try to check with the airline if they can offer us a waiver, we need to know exactly what is the reason, that stops you from taking the flight. The waiver can not be guaranteed by our travel agency, as it is a subject of Airline's decision.

We may also check with the airline if your reservation can be canceled for the future exchange.

We are looking forward to hearing from you

I will be emailing them back later today.

2. John Galbraith

Staff Member Advocate

Hi Kera

Welcome to the forum!

What wording our you looking at that suggests it might be refundable?

On Hop2's FAQ's it says " to one of our agents who will help you determine if the tickets fare rules will allow changes or refunds"

I am sorry to say that normally a non refundable ticket is just that (save the 24hr rule which does not apply here) but we can see if there is anything we can do.

3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Why couldn't you fly? A non refundable ticket as honest says is just that- non refundable. The policy also doesn't say it is possible for all cancellations - it says it may be possible if you cancel within 24 hours of booking.

See the copied terms below.

What some airlines do as a courtesy is they will give you a credit to use within a year of booking less a cancellation fee. It sounds like the rep. is trying to help you get the cancellation fee waived but she needs to know why you didn't get on the plane to see if it is a valid reason to request the waiver. Did you cancel or just not show up? If you were a no show you usually cannot even get a credit.

This is what their website says about cancellations (and if you booked directly with the airline the same thing would have happened with s nonrefundable ticket.)

CANCELLATIONS

All airline tickets are fully non-refundable after 24 hours. In certain cases, Hop2 will allow for a refund within the first 24 hours of booking for a fee of USD 50. In certain cases where the Airline may allow cancellations, a credit may be available for future ticket purchase with applicable penalty and a fare difference if any, with travel valid on the same airline. Usually the credit is valid with time constraints and a specific expiration date and should be discussed with the customer service agent. All such bookings where the cancellation may be permitted must be cancelled prior to the scheduled departure time of the first flight segment by calling our customer service agent. We do not guarantee any cancellations. A cancellation fee of USD 50 must be paid to us at the time of canceling the booking. We retain this fee. The credit will be held for a very limited time period, please ask the agent for the specific date by when you must use this credit or you will lose the credit amount. When you are ready to make the new booking, you will have to pay fare difference (if any), applicable airline penalties for that fare and Hop2 exchange fees. All such changes are governed by the airlines rules and regulations, Hop2 does not provide any representations or guarantees on changes or fees.

Kahhss and John Galbraith like this.
  4. AMA

AMA

"The policy also doesn't say it is possible fir sny trcybd" Gremlins in your keyboard? :D

John Galbraith and jsn55 like this.