Cancelled wedding=Cancelled flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 8, 2018
Had to cancel a United flight for me and my two daughters, when a childhood family friend unexpectedly had her wedding cancelled by the intended groom. We couldn't even go to visit because she was to distraught for visitors. We no longer had a reason to fly to this destination. Flight insurance won't cover cancelled events, even though this was a "unexpected" and "unforeseen" event. United will let me change the tickets, but only after paying a $200 change fee per ticket. This is practically the amount of our $268.40 round trip ticket. We did not change our mind, this pretty significant event was cancelled leaving us no choice. Airline was able to resell the seats on the busy Thanksgiving weekend, and AIG made their money on the flight insurance. The only one out of money is me, the customer, the one I thought flight insurance was intended to protect?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You needed a Cancel for Another Reason insurance policy to cover a situation like this. Unfortunately, the groom canceling the wedding is not a covered reason on a normal travel insurance policy. We ALWAYS advise our clients to buy CFAR when attending a destination wedding for just this reason.

But don’t give up- appeal to the Executives at United and ask if they could waive the cancellation penalty and give you a full credit. They might all answer no but you just might find that one will feel bad and give the credit for the fee.

Use our company contacts on top of our page- the cover page tells you how to write.

Good luck.

Feb 8, 2018
You needed a Cancel for Another Reason insurance policy to cover a situation like this. Unfortunately, the groom canceling the wedding is not a covered reason on a normal travel insurance policy. We ALWAYS advise our clients to buy CFAR when attending a destination wedding for just this reason.

But don’t give up- appeal to the Executives at United and ask if they could waive the cancellation penalty and give you a full credit. They might all answer no but you just might find that one will feel bad and give the credit for the fee.

Use our company contacts on top of our page- the cover page tells you how to write.

Good luck.
Will give it a try. Thanks Neil!

Jan 6, 2015
I support what Neil has said and will add that, for future travel, always know what Trip Insurance does and does not cover regardless of the purpose for which you are traveling.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a sad situation for your friend. All I can say is follow the advice of Neil and write a polite letter asking for the cancellation fee to be waived. Acknowledge that this a request for an exception but mention these are exceptional circumstances.
We have seen miracles on this forum, Kelsie! It may be helpful, on top of you being sweet as sugar, to mention a specific booking for a trip you're ready to take on UA. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.