1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Cancellation Refund

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)' started by Mushtaq Rajah, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Mushtaq Rajah

I have booked my tickets on united airlines to go to America to spend Christmas with my family but unfortunately I fell ill and was unable to travel and had to cancel my tickets in these circumstances I am entitled to get my money back.

2. Flywisely

You'll probably have to fork out $300 and the difference in fares to get a new ticket.

AAGK likes this.
  3. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If you purchased a non-refundable ticket the best you will get is a credit for a future flight that would need to be taken within one year of purchase of the original ticket, minus a change fee that is stated in the terms of your ticket.

4. technomage1

Staff Member Advocate

I'm sorry to hear if your illness and hope you are better now.

If you purchased a non refundable ticket, then no, they don't have to refund your money. Having said that, it never hurts to ask. Sometimes they do have a heart and will offer a credit or refund. You'll need to submit some sort of documentation from a doctor, though, so be prepared to do that. What airline was it?

jsn55 likes this.
  5. Mushtaq Rajah

It was with United airlines.

6. technomage1

Staff Member Advocate

VoR61 and jsn55 like this.
  7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Did you buy travel insurance? That's the only way you will get your money back. Otherwise, all you will get IF you canceled the tickets is a credit to take a flight within 1 year from the date you booked the flights, less a cancellation fee, which I believe is about $300.

Getting sick doesn't entitle you to a refund - buying travel insurance that covers illness is the only way.

8. Michael K

@Mushtaq Rajah , use the link in #6 (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/reservations/refunds/refund.aspx#ContactRefundServices) and choose "E-Ticket Refund" and follow the directions for an "unplanned event."

There's no hard guarantee, but United has a more flexible policy than many other carriers:

Refund request for nonrefundable tickets — unplanned event
    United will refund change fees and tickets in certain cases. All requests must be received prior to the ticket’s expiration date and must be accompanied by proper documentation (see “Documentation requirements and processing” below). We will refund tickets only when the unplanned event prevents the use of that ticket within one year of the ticket’s date of issue. In all other instances, the fare can be credited toward future travel, though the customer may receive a refund for flight change fees (see “Change fee refunds” below).

If your refund request is approved, a refund will be provided to the original form of payment. Refunds for purchases made with Gift Certificates will be provided in the form of electronic travel certificates.

This policy applies in the following cases:

• Death of the traveler, traveling companion or immediate family member
    • Travelers in the reservation actively on jury duty during the dates of planned travel
    • Certain illness situations
    [...]
    Ticket refunds
    Ticket refunds will be provided in the event of death and, in some cases, illness and jury duty. This applies to all tickets, including revenue, MileagePlus award tickets, promotional, bulk and net fares.

Documentation requirements and processing
    In cases of death: Refunds require a copy of the death certificate. If your change is due to the death of an immediate family member, the request must contain the family member’s name and relationship to you.

Illness situations: Change fee refunds require a letter (on letterhead) from a licensed physician confirming that travel was not recommended due to the customer's illness. Ticket refunds require a letter (on letterhead) from a licensed physician confirming that travel was not recommended within the validity of the ticket (one year of ticket’s issued date) due to illness. If the request is due to the illness of an immediate family member, the request must contain the family member’s name and relationship to you.

VoR61 likes this.