1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone please help me understand Comcast's logic about this billing issue?

Discussion in 'Comcast' started by thecentury303, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Razilo

Have you tried asking another way to get it removed. It is a very small amount and it was paid as soon as you found out. Could you ask them in a different way? Tell them you and your roommate thought it was all paid and left the country before receiving the $37 bill. tell them you paid it as soon as you found out and could they consider removing it from your credit since it is such a small amount and has been paid.

You can also contact the credit reporting bureaus and add your own comments to the $37 bill. Basically explain left country, thought it was paid off and paid it as soon as you found out.

jsn55 likes this.
  2. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Your friend admitted that he opened the account in your name. Ask him how he did it.

If you want to know what you need to open a Comcast account, call and pretend you are your friend and start setting up service. That will give you an idea of how this could have been done.

Neil likes this.
  3. thecentury303

No, he did not admit that he opened the account under my name. He claimed that he opened an account under his name, using his ID. It was until the first bill came that he realized the name was not his (i.e., it was mine). He tried to correct it a few times but it ends up too annoying for him (for example, he was asked to fax in some documents, he did, but they claimed they never received them) so he decided to let the bill be under my name since (from his perspective) there was no downside to him that way.

4. Christina H

I am having a hard time understanding this.

The OP never lived with the friend yet the friend had the info -- social security number must have been used otherwise the late payment would not be on credit report.

So friend gets a bill in OPs name and does not tell OP? And says that it was too much work to get it changed?

Could Comcast be holding back because of the entire ID theft issue? OP says not my account. How did the OP know it was the friend who had the service? From the address?

Neil likes this.
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Your friends story has holes in it I am sorry to say. Your name just cannot “appear” in his account. You really need to take this up with him and perhaps need to seriously considering filing an identity theft report. He withheld all of this from you - a good “friend” would not do anything his. Perhaps once you file that report Comcast will give you more information. The fact you won’t file makes it appear you were complicent. You can try to call the police dept. where you lived or he lived to see if the van do a report over the phone.

sas80 likes this.
  6. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

The rep on the telephone doesn't know your name. This cannot happen unless your friend SPEAKS your name to the rep.

this is complete and utter bull. your friend is lying to you

But what he did NOT do was tell you about it so that you could decide what YOU wanted to do. He continued to use your name.

This was his intention from the start. He knew from the beginning that there would never be a downside to him by keeping the bill in your name AND not telling you that it was in your name.

7. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

This

And that is why Comcast is stonewalling you about everything.

Neil likes this.
  8. thecentury303

I have a copy of my credit report printed in 2014 showing that there was no soft/hard inquiry from Comcast around the time the account was opened.

I suspect Comcast use my SSN from my own account to report the collection. Although I opened my own account in 2012 when I did not have SSN, I naively update them my SSN once I obtained it some time in 2013.

Yes. I know it sounds super suspicious but I can actually see his point of view. We were both graduate students and let me tell you that we did not have much time to sleep. I will probably do the same thing (stop changing the name on the bill) if I was treated the way he claimed (getting several runarounds). Nevertheless, if it were me, I would have told the person whose name appeared on my bill.

That's possible but if it is the case, why would they not tell me that? I would have understood if they told me that they could not supply me the document/evidence due to the concern of identity theft. However, they just told me that they are not willing to supply them and the burden of proof is on me.

Yes. My friend was the only person who lived at that address at that time.

9. thecentury303

I agree with this sentence: "He withheld all of this from you - a good “friend” would not do anything his."

However, I still have a hard time understand your (and sas80's) suggestion. I acknowledge that my friend is suspicious (based on the way he withheld information from me). I also would like to emphasize that I have no problem accepting that he stole my identity if Comcast can provide me single piece of document/evidence that the account was opened under my name

You (and sas80) also seem to question my decision not to file the identity theft claim. Please allow me to explain why. Doing so could have severe implications to my friend, as a foreigner. Identity theft is a felony and, I know it is rare but, if the police escalates my report or tries to investigate it, it would create a lot of trouble to my friend (because he now lives in a rural area, even getting in touch with him is not that easy). Also, in the worst case, it might even affect his US Visa. Therefore, I really don't want to file the police report until I am reasonably sure that he used my name to open an account intentionally. Withholding the information from me is bad but it does not cross my threshold yet.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  10. thecentury303

But how is that possible without my ID? Are you saying he can just use my name without any identity verification? That is even worse (as it could happen to anyone).

It is the fact that my friend cannot access any of my IDs and he does not know my SSN, that I am 100% sure.

11. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Your friend didn't give a *hit about that when he created this situation for you.

12. thecentury303

I think it is a bit pointless now to argue my friend's state-of-mind. We can only speculate what he thought. You have your opinion, I have my own opinion, and they do not seem to be reconciled any time soon. However, that is not the point here.

The point is, because my friend sounds suspicious, I am not entitled to get any document/evidence that he is, and should just file a police report (which may cause severe implications as explained above) against him? So he is definitely guilty until proven innocent?

I don't think Comcast withheld the requested document/evidence due to identity theft concerns for two reasons:
    1) They did not even say it. They simply say that, because the first billing statement was under my name, the burden of proof is on me. As a result, they don't want to supply any document/evidence.
    2) There are several ways to address the identity theft concern. They can verify my identity over the phone. They can also send the physical copy of requested document/evidence to my address on the record.

13. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I think you need to face facts that your friend willingly opened this account in your name and using your information in an effort to deceive Comcast. THAT is why you are afraid to file the police report, and want to make Comcast pony up proof first - because you already intuitively know that the situation will resolve down to your friend actually having committing a crime.

Let's look at it the other way - you file a false identity report and both your friend and Comcast have to pony information up.

Your friend tells his story about opening the account in his name and he has NO idea how the bill got in your name, and he tried correcting it, but communication was poor and he got lazy. If this ends up being true, if Comcast made an error, your friend is absolved.

Comcast produces documents that show your friend, in fact, had you full name and drivers license information, personal information, social security number, possibly old addresses, etc - and your friend is HOSED.

One more thing I will add. There is such a thing as a 'soft credit check'. Soft Credit checks don't appear on your credit history. Comcast performed a soft credit check. That's why you don't see it on your credit history. Bottom line - your friend did steal your identity. Regardless of when he realized the mistake, he failed to correct it. Because of that, he absolutely did this on purpose.

A soft inquiry is an inquiry that occurs when a person or company checks your credit report as a background check, like when you check your credit score or a mortgage lender preapproves you for a loan. Soft inquiries can occur without your permission, but don't worry – they won't affect your credit in any way

14. thecentury303

Soft inquiry appears on the credit report. It just does not affect credit score. My report have tons of soft inquiries (from insurance, phone companies, etc.)

15. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

File the identity theft report and you will have your answer. Comcast will have to prove the situation one way or another.

There WILL be a police investigation before your friend gets charged with a crime. The charges will be "alleged" until the investigation is complete. Your friend will only have to respond to the detectives inquiries in the interim.

Your friends story is that he provided HIS name an information to Comcast and he has no clue as to how they got your information. This is what he tells the detectives. simple.

Comcast then provides the telephone logs of the initial call, the paperwork with the signature of the person that accepted the installation of the equipment, the person who signed the contract, etc.

You do realize that your friend forged your name when the Comcast tech came over to install the equipment, right? The account holder needs to be present and sign for the equipment & contract. Your friend knew that moment exactly what was going and he should have shut it down at that point.

but he didn't shut it down, and he didn't even tell you about it

Comcast is going to produce that documentation for the police and your friend will go down.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  16. Christina H

I do not ever remember having to prove who I am to a cable company -- as in go to an office or submit photo identification.

I do not know how common your name is for the cable company to just look up your social security number -- if one is namesd John Smith there must be many, but a more unusual name may be found.

If I am friends with (made up name) Debbie Jones I would have to actively say my name is Debbie when opening up a new account --there is no way that a customer service representative would get to Debbie from Christina.

Your friend could have said he was you and gave your address or something of the sort. If you were in good standing as a customer there may have been no need to run a credit check. Have you asked your friend how the account was opened. Not that I think the friend would tell the truth.

For the entire time studying your friend paid the bill under your name and never once mentioned it to you.

Neil likes this.
  17. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Comcast didn't pull your name, drivers license number, social security number out of thin air.

18. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

that's the real problem, any way you slice this, it IS identity theft. and his "friend" WILL get charged with it if he opens a police report.

19. thecentury303

Comcast has my name, driver license and SSN from my own account that I opened with Comcast in 2012.

In addition, Comcast never soft-check my credit when the account in question was opened.

20. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Comcast didn't pull your name out of thin air, your friend told them he was you in an effort to open an account. Your friend committed identity theft.

If you firmly believe this was Comcasts mistake, open a police report. the truth will come out.