Can direct tv just take money out of my account?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2015
Need advice with direct tv. I'll spare all the details as it is quite long but basically I left direct tv after 3 months of service. I left because they were dishonest and did not give me what they had promised when I first signed up. So after 3 months, I called and cancelled. Now, 3 months more have gone by and they took out 845.00 from my checking account.

Tried to work things out with them. Actually almost considered joining back since they promised to return all fees back to my account and reverse the charges. When I immediately realized after an email they sent me that I was not at all getting what I thought I had signed up for the 2nd time again. Of course now they just say the rep gave me wrong information and do not want to own up to their responsibility. But how is that my fault! So I refused to sign up again because they wanted me to pay ridiculous prices and pay for all their boxes again. And not to mention the principle of it...they lied to me just to get me to come back!

So of course now they will not refund any of my money and said they have the right to take it out of my account. Is this true? I am planning to go to my bank tomorrow and file a fraud report but could the bank possibly tell me they had the right to do this???? This is crazy! Please help!

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Need advice with direct tv. I'll spare all the details as it is quite long but basically I left direct tv after 3 months of service. I left because they were dishonest and did not give me what they had promised when I first signed up. So after 3 months, I called and cancelled. Now, 3 months more have gone by and they took out 845.00 from my checking account.

Tried to work things out with them. Actually almost considered joining back since they promised to return all fees back to my account and reverse the charges. When I immediately realized after an email they sent me that I was not at all getting what I thought I had signed up for the 2nd time again. Of course now they just say the rep gave me wrong information and do not want to own up to their responsibility. But how is that my fault! So I refused to sign up again because they wanted me to pay ridiculous prices and pay for all their boxes again. And not to mention the principle of it...they lied to me just to get me to come back!

So of course now they will not refund any of my money and said they have the right to take it out of my account. Is this true? I am planning to go to my bank tomorrow and file a fraud report but could the bank possibly tell me they had the right to do this???? This is crazy! Please help!
Dear Grisel,

First, review the "Related Questions" you'll find on the bottom half of this page:

You may find useful information there, or if you wish, ask a question.

If your question isn't answered, you may i
nitiate an appeal to DirecTV by completing and submitting the "Contact Us" form you'll find here:

Give them a week to get back to you. If they don't or you don't like what they have to say, escalate your appeal to the executives you'll find listed here:

Send short, polite emails to, one by one, with a week between each, the Primary Contact, followed by, if necessary, the Secondary Contact, then the Chairman.

Save all your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to complete and submit the Elliott.org "Help" form you'll find here:

Chris will review your case, and if he can help, he will.

Good luck!

Grant

Feb 19, 2015
This isn't going to be helpful right now, but something you might consider for the future: if you must allow AutoPay, consider using a prepaid debit card rather than giving them your bank account or credit card numbers.

Our service providers sure do like to encourage us to sign up for AutoPay. Some even offer discounts that apply only if you use AutoPay. A debit card gives you control over this sort of situation. When I switched pay TV providers, this was an issue for me. I've always been against allowing AutoPay because of the horror stories about companies helping themselves to your rent money. I went through my bank for the debit card, rather than paying all those fees for the ones on the kiosk at the drugstore.

As a customer in good standing, my bank was able to provide me with a branded debit card at no charge. While my checking account has overdraft protection (my choice), my debit card does not. Nor can it transfer money from my checking or savings accounts unless I manually initiate the transfer. If the money isn't there, the transaction simply is refused. I transfer money onto the card just before the bill is due. There can never be any surprise withdrawals.

There are some caveats to debit cards in general, so you are the only one who can decide if this is a good solution for you. In my case, it was an experiment which has turned out to be a great way to save a little extra money and still keep the TV people out of my bank accounts.

Last edited: