Caller ID Name

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2016
This is a problem with my ATT landline, not a cell phone but I couldn't find a Forum for land lines. If you need to move this, please do.
Twelve years ago, I got married and changed my name on everything, including my ATT account. I got a voice mail yesterday regarding a problem I called 911 about and they called me by my old name. I used my home phone and called my work phone and it clearly showed my old name. Since people (including 911) use caller ID to see who's calling, it seems like a good idea to have this fixed.
Easy enough, right?
Right?!!
I've been on the phone with ATT four times in the last two hours. After 25 minutes of being on and off hold, the first representative said he fixed the caller ID. No, he didn't.
The second call, I asked to talk to a supervisor. I was told the supervisor was busy and would call me back in 5 minutes. No, he didn't.
The third call got routed by their automated system to billing. She was very nice and said she'd transfer me to the right number. She transferred me to business tech support, who couldn't help.
The forth call, the representative told me the only solution was to upgrade to ATT Universe. Yep, an upsale. I don't even want a landline. I just need it for our alarm.
Can you point me in the right direction to get this fixed? I must be missing something, because it seems like this would be a simple fix and clearly it's not.
Thank you,
Patricia Lenhart

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Pat Lenhart ... Give it a day and then check again. Some enterprise level databases take awhile to replicate changes across the board so the problem might already be fixed even though you're not seeing it. If not, here's the landline customer service number I found 800.288.2020

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
@Pat Lenhart ... Give it a day and then check again. Some enterprise level databases take awhile to replicate changes across the board so the problem might already be fixed even though you're not seeing it. If not, here's the landline customer service number I found 800.288.2020
I'll give it a day and see if it updates. The phone number you gave is the same one I've been calling.

Nov 21, 2014
If you only have a landline for your alarm system, most alarm companies now have digital ability and you no longer need the landline.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
You certainly shouldn't have to jump though hoops to get Caller ID updated !! That said, you only use it for your alarm. I hazard a guess that your alarm company's call center really doesn't need your correct name to effectively dispatch help. If they did, it would only be talking to them on a voice call where you could simply state that was your maiden surname if they ask.

I would leave well-enough alone. If ATT isn't competent enough to resolve this simple matter, who knows what they will mess up? For example your street address might be erased or munged....that *would* be a serious issue. Or, the change might put you into a "new and improved pricing plan" ! Also how much of your personal time do you want to spend on an issue that (hopefully) makes no difference?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a problem with my ATT landline, not a cell phone but I couldn't find a Forum for land lines. If you need to move this, please do.
Twelve years ago, I got married and changed my name on everything, including my ATT account. I got a voice mail yesterday regarding a problem I called 911 about and they called me by my old name. I used my home phone and called my work phone and it clearly showed my old name. Since people (including 911) use caller ID to see who's calling, it seems like a good idea to have this fixed.
Easy enough, right?
Right?!!
I've been on the phone with ATT four times in the last two hours. After 25 minutes of being on and off hold, the first representative said he fixed the caller ID. No, he didn't.
The second call, I asked to talk to a supervisor. I was told the supervisor was busy and would call me back in 5 minutes. No, he didn't.
The third call got routed by their automated system to billing. She was very nice and said she'd transfer me to the right number. She transferred me to business tech support, who couldn't help.
The forth call, the representative told me the only solution was to upgrade to ATT Universe. Yep, an upsale. I don't even want a landline. I just need it for our alarm.
Can you point me in the right direction to get this fixed? I must be missing something, because it seems like this would be a simple fix and clearly it's not.
Thank you,
Patricia Lenhart
Nothing with ATT is simple. I can't get my home landline repaired. The buzz on it is so loud the voices are drowned out. You can only talk to a computer and nobody fixes your phone. They insist that you deal with this online. I don't have a clue what my ID or password is, I set it up 20 years ago. My social is wrong in their records. My bill is paid automatically so I don't know my 3-digit code. Nobody will answer the phone. If someone does pick up, they can't answer your question, or you get cut off in the middle of the conversation and nobody calls you back. I only keep the cursed thing because cell phones are not reliable where I live. I just hope that if I die in a fire my heirs will sue ATT because emergency people couldn't hear me call for help. ATT is beyond pathetic. I wish you luck, but you probably should just leave it alone.

Nov 3, 2015
I'll give it a day and see if it updates. The phone number you gave is the same one I've been calling.
Pat, landlines are regulated through the state utility boards in whatever state you're in, and if you can't get the mess resolved soon, find out the state agency regulating telephones in your state and let them know.

Cell phone service, alas, is not regulated like landlines.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
Nothing with ATT is simple. I can't get my home landline repaired. The buzz on it is so loud the voices are drowned out. You can only talk to a computer and nobody fixes your phone. They insist that you deal with this online. I don't have a clue what my ID or password is, I set it up 20 years ago. My social is wrong in their records. My bill is paid automatically so I don't know my 3-digit code. Nobody will answer the phone. If someone does pick up, they can't answer your question, or you get cut off in the middle of the conversation and nobody calls you back. I only keep the cursed thing because cell phones are not reliable where I live. I just hope that if I die in a fire my heirs will sue ATT because emergency people couldn't hear me call for help. ATT is beyond pathetic. I wish you luck, but you probably should just leave it alone.
@jsn55 do you have good internet service? I've been using Ooma for my telephone for about 10 years now. It uses the internet service to handle phone calls.

When the power went out a couple of weeks ago, I was able to tell when it came back by calling. If the call went straight to voice mail, no power, ringing then the power was back.

Jul 27, 2016
Just to keep you updated. I got a automated call this morning from ATT. The said they had made my requested change. I was excited until they got to the part about updating the email on my account. I check and they didn't change anything, including my caller ID.
My husband thought he'd give it a try so he called. He was on the phone for 1/2 hour, 3 different people before being transferred to the DirecTV branch. He now understands my frustration. He gave out our phone/account number 10 different times. Spelled our name 6 times and spent several minutes trying to convince one man that our account number is what it is. He kept telling us that it starts with "1". No, it's right there on our bill. He's the one that transferred him to the DirecTV branch.
I sent a tweet this morning and got an answer from ATTCares. They asked for the account information and said they'd fix it. Would it be rude to tell him that I've heard that before. I'll let you know if it accomplishes anything.

In response to questions/comments:
Nancy, we're looking into updating our alarm. That's probably the best suggestion.
kenish, my concern is that 911 gets the wrong information. We had to call them last week (animal control was closed and we had an injured racoon) and when they called back they had the wrong name. I don't know it that could ever be a serious problem but I'd still like it fixed.
OR resident, we will probably contact he PUC when this is done or when it's not done.
Carrie Livingston, VOIP won't work with our alarm system.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
@jsn55 do you have good internet service? I've been using Ooma for my telephone for about 10 years now. It uses the internet service to handle phone calls.

When the power went out a couple of weeks ago, I was able to tell when it came back by calling. If the call went straight to voice mail, no power, ringing then the power was back.
Thanks for your concern, but we live out in the country; none of our utilities is totally reliable. Both the phone and electrical lines are antique ... there are repair trucks up on our hill at least three times a week. Both utilities could have replaced everything three times over with what they've spent on repair. We have a generator for backup power and I have a SkyRoam hot spot and if you go out in the yard to the SW corner, the cell phone usually works. Furnace runs on propane, so that's one thing that's 100% reliable. I will check out Ooma (sounds like a Swedish auntie) tho ... you never know.

Jul 27, 2016
@ATTCares got the problem fixed. It's a pain that it took all this just to fix their mistake, but it got fixed. I thought it was really funny that 5 minutes after I reported that it was fixed, they sent me a survey to fill out. I filed it out and was very honest. I don't think it will help.

Jul 30, 2016
DON'T GIVE UP YOUR LANDLINE! regardless of what anyone says
I could go on and on about unresolved problems I have with AT&T including cell phone gigs, internet speed, and landline overcharges, to say the least.
But I just want to remind people that landlines are truly the best communication method in the end. They can't be easily hacked and tapped by unknowns or turned off or restricted by those in control. They lack the health hazards of cell phones and their methods of service. And importantly, they operate during storms and disasters, when nothing else does (e.g. when there's no power and no open cell lines). During the Loma Prieta earthquake in northern California, I experienced this. How can people call 911 if there's no open connection?
"AB 2395 – a bill just defeated in California’s state legislature- would have allowed AT&T to dismantle the state’s landline network, costing the public our safety, health, jobs, and cutting off critical emergency communications access to millions of people. Similar legislation has passed, or is proposed in many other states. The public must remain vigilant, and defend our landlines." From: https://savelandlines.org/

May 17, 2016

And there's the problem with VoIP--no power, ergo no internet and no phone. If you live in an area where outages are almost expected and long-lasting (e.g., hurricanes) this is a real issue.

May 17, 2016
I could go on and on about unresolved problems I have with AT&T including cell phone gigs, internet speed, and landline overcharges, to say the least.
But I just want to remind people that landlines are truly the best communication method in the end. They can't be easily hacked and tapped by unknowns or turned off or restricted by those in control. They lack the health hazards of cell phones and their methods of service. And importantly, they operate during storms and disasters, when nothing else does (e.g. when there's no power and no open cell lines). During the Loma Prieta earthquake in northern California, I experienced this. How can people call 911 if there's no open connection?
"AB 2395 – a bill just defeated in California’s state legislature- would have allowed AT&T to dismantle the state’s landline network, costing the public our safety, health, jobs, and cutting off critical emergency communications access to millions of people. Similar legislation has passed, or is proposed in many other states. The public must remain vigilant, and defend our landlines." From: https://savelandlines.org/
You're absolutely right!

Jul 27, 2016
During the Loma Prieta earthquake in northern California, I experienced this. How can people call 911 if there's no open connection?
Actually, I lived in San Jose in 1989 and mine was the only phone that worked in our condo community. I let anyone use it to contact their families since their phones didn't work.

R

Realitoes

Landlines can go out also. During a recent storm our power was out for a few hours, but our landline phone was out for 5 days. Our alarm works off a wireless, which probably is more reliable (you can cut landline phone lines).

I have a backup power supply to my internet modem, so as long as internet doesn't go out itself, I can use it when our power is out with the laptop on battery or a tablet.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Guess we have the VoIP now as we have our 'landline' bundled w/Comcast.
Our server/laptops/etc are all connected to our generator so we should be ok unless the cell tower goes out or gets overloaded /everyone in SW FL calling in/out to check if everyone is ok during hurricane.
We can't actually use our landline for calls though because it isn't plugged into the Comcast supplied modem. Son, our IT, couldn't get past their firewalls to perform something so we bought our own modem w/out the phone jack.
Works for us though as we don't have to listen to phone ring, go see who is calling and then ignore it. Any legitimate call to us, the person can leave us a message and comcast converts it to text and emails it to me within a hot minute. If I need to hear the message, I can log onto XFINITY and hear it.
We love it, especially during political season when all those calls are so annoying.