Call from ASCI for Sprint debt - never done business with Sprint

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2016
I just got a call from ASCI about $3,000 debt from Sprint. I have never done business with Sprint (I don't have any debt other than house and car). I told her to send it to me in writing. She argued this was a recorded line. She wanted the last 4 of my social. I wouldn't give it to her. She eventually hung up.

Anything else I need to do? I pulled my credit report last month due to a false inquiry from T-mobile.

You need to send a written letter to ASCI [which means you need to call them back unfortunately to get an account number]

Dear ASCI:

re: Acct #

I deny that owe you or your principal anything.

I have never done business with Sprint, or you.

I demand an copy of any document through which your principal claims that I owe them money, along with billings, applications and other documents through which you or Sprint claim a debt is owed.

I wish a written assigned of the claim from Sprint to you, if applicable.

I will refuse to pay anything and demand that if you claim I owe you or Sprint that you sue me immediately so the matter can be resolved.

I insist on all of my rights under the Fair Credit Billing and Collection Act.

VTY - Name

Now- to be absolutely certtan, you NEVER agree to cosign a phone contract for a child, girl friend, ex-spouse or girl friend, friend, relative or anyone else? Just because you did 'do business' does not mean you may not have signed a debt for someone who defaulted?

Don't know what state you are in but the statute of limitations can run 3-6 years -

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I had a similiar call last year and tried to get an Acct # and info and while they wanted $1200 from me they would not provide any proof.

Scam! Is all I can say, at least in my case. I told them to send me a letter and no I would not give them my address. I figured if they had more phone # then they had the resources to locate my address ;)

You guessed it, 18 months and no letter! But there is someone in Calif who has my husbands name and they owe over a $150,000 in child support. Those calls are getting old!

The worst part is getting collection calls from the guy who had my phone number in 2007.

They ask for Mr Perkins and I ask if they are a debt collector. They have to say yes.

I then aka to speak to the boss. I get their Id number. I then tell them that they are calling in violation of fair credit billing and collection act trying to collect an invalid debt

That they are calling a number in violation of the do not cal list and they owe me $1000 for the 2 violations.

The tend to be all haughty until I identify myself as a lawyer. And they realize I have them dead to rights.

They get real nice at that point but I always collect $250 and a written agreement to never call me again unless they are calling for someone in this household.

They violated it twice. Both times looking for mr Perkins on a 10 year old debt. Different debt. Same company. I just keep cashing the checks. The last one was for &750.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2016
They just called again. They said if it isn't me, the. I have to file a police report or else they are reporting it to credit agency .

I have never cosigned anything. But this could be related to someone tries to take out a T-Mobile using my name they they refused. I thought I had credit protection with AllSafe or whatever that Target company they hired was.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you owe them money it's up to them to prove it. You don't need to even give them an address, if they can call you, then they can darn well find your address. You do not need to file a police report either

Unless.... You pull up your credit report and find someone has applied for credit in your name.
It's very possible they are simply looking for a dead beat with the same name and your name is one of many who pops up.

Tell them you are more than happy to pay IF they can supply proof you owe the money otherwise to STOP CALLING immediately.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
PS do not give them any portion of your SS #.

These idiots tried to get me to send them a copy of my husbands drivers license. They wanted to show the mom and ask her if this is the guy ;) ya sure I'm going to do that! Not ...

Sep 19, 2015
Do double check if someone opened an account with your information. As someone tried it with Tmobile with your info, I am concerned that an identity thief was successful with Sprint. Either get a credit report or call Sprint Fraud management. And do write the cease calling letter.

They just called again. They said if it isn't me, the. I have to file a police report or else they are reporting it to credit agency .

I have never cosigned anything. But this could be related to someone tries to take out a T-Mobile using my name they they refused. I thought I had credit protection with AllSafe or whatever that Target company they hired was.

One last comment - you need their address - threatening you with adverse credit filings to collect a debt is illegal as hell -

yes - it sure sounds like an effort at a scam. If they refuse to produce proof of the debt - its a) a violation of FTC debt collection rules and b) most likely a scam.

Feb 6, 2016
I found the # for Sprint's fraud line and found a nice person there. I did give her my SSN and she found where there was a fraudulent account setup. It was setup before the T-Mobile credit inquiry that caused me to freeze my credit. She believed and pulled my file back from the collection agencies. told said she'll send me a settlement letter and that will be the end of it. She does not need a police report.

After her call, my old police department called me back (I had left a message). She told me this is happening a lot, especially to Sprint, because they mail you phones with just an address . She says they order them to houses that are vacant, and hideout waiting for the delivery truck. Point to note, the date this happened was 2 days after our moving truck departed.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Ignore it. It is a scam. Report the calls to your local police department's cybercrime officer, and put a freeze on your credit. If they call again, don't answer or hang up.

Edit: Wrote before I read. You've done both. Good!

Feb 6, 2016
I had some time today and pulled my Experian credit report. Sure enough, I saw the Spring hard inquiry that the person at the Sprint told me about. I do not understand why Credit Karma did not show it (the Sprint person said she has heard the same thing from other people that Credit Karma does not seem to show all Experian inquiries).

I also put a security fraud alert with Experian. I was surprised they did not tell me about the Transunion fraud alert I placed on 4/1/2016. Don't all the three bureaus have to share that?

I am going to remember that if I know anyone who is planning to move, to recommend they put a fraud alert before they move.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I had some time today and pulled my Experian credit report. Sure enough, I saw the Spring hard inquiry that the person at the Sprint told me about. I do not understand why Credit Karma did not show it (the Sprint person said she has heard the same thing from other people that Credit Karma does not seem to show all Experian inquiries).

I also put a security fraud alert with Experian. I was surprised they did not tell me about the Transunion fraud alert I placed on 4/1/2016. Don't all the three bureaus have to share that?

I am going to remember that if I know anyone who is planning to move, to recommend they put a fraud alert before they move.
To be safe, report it to all 3 credit bureaus.

And if Credit Karma didn't catch it I'd be getting my money back and canceling my subscription because they appear as big a scam as this ASCI. What are you paying them for? You did all the investigation yourself.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
You need to send a written letter to ASCI [which means you need to call them back unfortunately to get an account number]

Dear ASCI:

re: Acct #

I deny that owe you or your principal anything.

I have never done business with Sprint, or you.

I demand an copy of any document through which your principal claims that I owe them money, along with billings, applications and other documents through which you or Sprint claim a debt is owed.

I wish a written assigned of the claim from Sprint to you, if applicable.

I will refuse to pay anything and demand that if you claim I owe you or Sprint that you sue me immediately so the matter can be resolved.

I insist on all of my rights under the Fair Credit Billing and Collection Act.

VTY - Name

Now- to be absolutely certtan, you NEVER agree to cosign a phone contract for a child, girl friend, ex-spouse or girl friend, friend, relative or anyone else? Just because you did 'do business' does not mean you may not have signed a debt for someone who defaulted?

Don't know what state you are in but the statute of limitations can run 3-6 years -
He didn't need to agree. Is there anyone in your household with access to your credit cards? They don't open an account without a credit card, do they? Do any of your cards have a series of $1 attempted pending charges, if no charge ever posted? I would call all your issuers and confirm.Your credit report would not reflect this unless sprint reports you for collections.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I found the # for Sprint's fraud line and found a nice person there. I did give her my SSN and she found where there was a fraudulent account setup. It was setup before the T-Mobile credit inquiry that caused me to freeze my credit. She believed and pulled my file back from the collection agencies. told said she'll send me a settlement letter and that will be the end of it. She does not need a police report.

After her call, my old police department called me back (I had left a message). She told me this is happening a lot, especially to Sprint, because they mail you phones with just an address . She says they order them to houses that are vacant, and hideout waiting for the delivery truck. Point to note, the date this happened was 2 days after our moving truck departed.
Is that what happened here? Does sprint day they mailed a phone to an address that is not yours? How irresponsible. I assume they had your actual address and phone # on file since they reached you. Did sprint say a phone was mailed and there was an account in use? If not, why would anything be owed at all? Where did it send the phone? Can you log in to the account and see if you recognize any numbers ?

Sep 19, 2015
I am glad that you called Sprint and cleared it up with them. Clearly someone got your social security info and used it for cell service. I doubt that there is still an account in use, as once something is sent to collections the line is usually terminated -- especially with a $3,000 bill.
Make sure all credit agencies note the frieze on your info, as scammers just keep trying. What a pain that this happened to you. Make sure that Sprint sends you the documentation on the identity theft.

Feb 6, 2016
To be safe, report it to all 3 credit bureaus.

And if Credit Karma didn't catch it I'd be getting my money back and canceling my subscription because they appear as big a scam as this ASCI. What are you paying them for? You did all the investigation yourself.
I don't pay anything for Credit Karma.

He didn't need to agree. Is there anyone in your household with access to your credit cards? They don't open an account without a credit card, do they? Do any of your cards have a series of $1 attempted pending charges, if no charge ever posted? I would call all your issuers and confirm.Your credit report would not reflect this unless sprint reports you for collections.
I do not believe it was charged to a credit card. None of my credit cards had any unauthorized charges (and I download from Quicken every day). What the police told me is that Sprint has deals on TV where they will send the phones to you for free and bill you later. The number you can get is based on credit score which for me was good. According to police and Sprint, the phones are never activated and instead sold on Craigslist. Never a single call. That's part of why the Sprint person believed me, is because she could see that. Sprint gets hit more because they do less checking up. It appears a week later they tried it with T-Mobile, who denied it because they couldn't answer enough questions to verify identity, resulting in a letter of credit denial to me, causing me to fraud alert my accounts back in late March.

Is that what happened here? Does sprint day they mailed a phone to an address that is not yours? How irresponsible. I assume they had your actual address and phone # on file since they reached you. Did sprint say a phone was mailed and there was an account in use? If not, why would anything be owed at all? Where did it send the phone? Can you log in to the account and see if you recognize any numbers ?
Police said they watch for when a house is vacant, and then mail it to that address. We moved out March 5. The Sprint account was opened March 8. Sprint did not tell me if it was in-store or mail, and I had talked to police after Sprint.

I am glad that you called Sprint and cleared it up with them. Clearly someone got your social security info and used it for cell service. I doubt that there is still an account in use, as once something is sent to collections the line is usually terminated -- especially with a $3,000 bill.
Make sure all credit agencies note the frieze on your info, as scammers just keep trying. What a pain that this happened to you. Make sure that Sprint sends you the documentation on the identity theft.
All three now have a fraud alert. Once I get the paperwork from Sprint, I'll use that plus the FTC affadavit I created to get an extended freeze with all three bureaus.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I don't pay anything for Credit Karma.

I do not believe it was charged to a credit card. None of my credit cards had any unauthorized charges (and I download from Quicken every day). What the police told me is that Sprint has deals on TV where they will send the phones to you for free and bill you later. The number you can get is based on credit score which for me was good. According to police and Sprint, the phones are never activated and instead sold on Craigslist. Never a single call. That's part of why the Sprint person believed me, is because she could see that. Sprint gets hit more because they do less checking up. It appears a week later they tried it with T-Mobile, who denied it because they couldn't answer enough questions to verify identity, resulting in a letter of credit denial to me, causing me to fraud alert my accounts back in late March.

Police said they watch for when a house is vacant, and then mail it to that address. We moved out March 5. The Sprint account was opened March 8. Sprint did not tell me if it was in-store or mail, and I had talked to police after Sprint.

All three now have a fraud alert. Once I get the paperwork from Sprint, I'll use that plus the FTC affadavit I created to get an extended freeze with all three bureaus.
Why would you want your credit reports frozen? I feel like you are gettig advice that seems all over the place bc there is confusion as to what exactly happened. If you are happy with result then I am happy for you. If No collection was reported and no credit card was breached- I don't see the point in freezing. I would just move on. I once found a 5k charge on my Amex that wasn't mine. Called, cancelled the card, Got the new one in the morning. Forgot about it until this moment.
Sprint sounds ridiculous. I would avoid and block Sprint from charging any of your cards. They sound very shady.