1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Bump Puncture before I rented but not marked on paper

Discussion in 'Car rentals' started by Siddharta1979, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Siddharta1979

I just returned a car from Enterprise, and they are blaming me for a puncture in the rear bumper of a car. The puncture was already there when I took the car, it was very evident. As the employee was already recording other scuffs, and we both looked at the puncture, I think he even squatted down to touch it with his hand, I didn't ask if he had marked it on paper, which he didn't. I also didn't realize he hadn't before taking off. Unfortunately I have no evidence that I did not produce that damage.
    Is there anything I can do?

2. Ginny123

Hi Siddharta1979, I use to work for Enterprise during my college days and to me, it sounds like it was a significant damage, and it would be noted. You would have had to initial all the damages on the car on the contract before you can leave with the car. Did you do that?

What I would recommend is to call the branch and talk to the person who rented you the car. Ask if he remembers the bump puncture on the back of the car and if he can look at the contract of the previous renter to see if it was marked there. Since they are saying that you did it, they will have to fill out a DX report. Ask to see if there was a previous DX report.

3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

4. Siddharta1979

Thank you for your insight Ginny.
    It was hard to miss in my opinion, but it was not noted, thus I didn't have to initial anything. The guy squatted down to touch it (or so I recall), so I gave for granted he would have noted (I know, my mistake). The employee who reviewed the vehicle with me doesn't remember it (of course he doesn't). The puncture was already there, of this I'm sure.
    They did check the system for previous entrees, but they didn't find anything; however, it could have been overlooked. After all, they were going to hand me the car dirty from the previous renter, and just at the very last moment they kept me waiting while they were cleaning.

5. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

The only thing you can do is tell them the damage was pre existing and the enterprise employee didn't mention it on the paperwork for whatever reason, but you assumed the employee was following procedure and being professional, so you didn question him/her.

Then you need to tell enterprise you will be needing previous rental information, as you are sure the damage must have been assessed to the proper owner when it occurred, and enterprise just hadn't had time to get the damage fixed.

Follow the instructions in this thread
    http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

continue to state that the damage was on the vehicle when you rented, and continue to ask for the items in the link above. They are going to try to get you to pay by threatening collections, they are going to try to get you to pay by offering to settle for half of what they originally wanted. Keep asking for the documents, and the tapes from the lot where you rented. If they wont provide the documents/tape, keep asking them how they know for a fact the damage didn't exist on the car when you rented it.

Do everything in writing!

good luck and keep us informed.

6. Siddharta1979

Thanks, I will. Where do I find the right email account to write to? When I search online I'm always directed towards my local area branches as if it was a feedback to be left.

Neil likes this.
  7. VoR61

Advocate

And for future rentals, protect yourself by take pictures of the vehicle inside and out. Especially capture the license plate and odometer. Do this before you depart and just before you return the vehicle.

Be especially mindful of dents and scratches that only appear when the ambient light reflects at certain angles. Accordingly, always check the roof as well.

And make sure they record all the damage even if they don't wish to.

This is regrettable but necessary ...

8. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

@Siddharta1979 , we have company contacts at the top of the page. Start with customer service, give it a week or so, then move to the first on list, rinse and repeat. Don't email all the contacts at once and don't start at the top because if you do, you have nowhere else to seek remedy. If you would like to post your email here before sending, please do.

You might also search the forums for similar claims. We've had several others who have been able to resolve their situation favorably.

Good luck!

John Galbraith and Neil like this.
  9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

We have a thread on how to protect yourself when renting:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-protect-yourself-when-renting-a-car.1314/

10. Siddharta1979

Thank you all, this is really helpful.
    This is the very first time I find myself in this situation, and I'm not quite sure what I should do / have done. My credit card will act as my primary insurance, and following their advice I have already filed an online claim.
    Is there anything else I should do or I should have done? For example, I haven't taken any picture of the damage: is that something I should have done? I was caught off guard and I'm only starting to wonder about steps that should (have) be(en) taken.

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Use our post I linked to and follow it. You want to get out of this totally. And there may be a deductible using the insurance.

VoR61 likes this.
  12. Siddharta1979

Do I need to wait for the claim/paperwork by Enterprise first?

13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Are they actually charging you at this point or just threatening?

Start writing to the Enterprise contacts now and send copies of what you have received from the Enterprise office.

John Galbraith likes this.
  14. Siddharta1979

Just threatening, I don't have any paperwork or document from them, neither have I signed any form or anything.

15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Then reply to them through the email you received asking them for the information we tell you to ask for in the letter.

If they don’t drop it then you would move up to Enterprise Corporate.

You have enough information on what transpired that it appears you are being absolutely truthful.

John Galbraith and VoR61 like this.
  16. Siddharta1979

I have not received any email yet; I'm guessing I should wait to receive one then.

17. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

So this was only verbal? You haven’t received anything formally?

18. Siddharta1979

Correct, this was only verbal upon my returning the car to the branch.