1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Brussels Airlines - No ticket; no refund. HELP!

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Mikaela Peters, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Mikaela Peters

I am studying abroad this summer through a program called American Councils. Originally, I was supposed to go to Russia, but based on my religious identity as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in conjunction with relevant political affairs going on in Russia at this time, the program decided it was unsafe for them to send me there. The day before I found out this information, I had gone ahead and booked my flight through Brussels Airlines, but I had bought travel insurance. However, the travel insurance only covers death of a family member. Exclusions are fairly absurd. For example, a terrorist attack is not considered a legitimate reason. Without reading all of the exclusions and regulations, I went ahead and canceled my flight. I received a left over tax amount of $70 back while the $812 remaining will not be returned back to me according to neither the airlines nor the travel insurance company. My flight was nonrefundable and since I have willingly canceled it, I now have neither a flight nor money. I have been calling them for more than two weeks, explaining the situation over and over again. Finally, I have put American Express up to the task since I bought my ticket with one of their credit cards. They are on the case at we speak. However, I need to get my flight situation squared away soon. The study abroad program begins in less than two months. As a student, I am in no fiscal position to purchase another flight without first rectifying this situation. My next plan of action is to reach out to some consumer protection agencies. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Your help is much appreciated.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

3. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Many airlines will offer a credit for the unused balance less a change fee. Did you inquire about this? You will not get a refund but can possibly still use the value of the ticket.

4. Tricia K.

I would certainly ask if you can have it applied as a credit minus the change fee (which can be significant), but it's better than nothing.

5. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

<bangs head against wall> So you were supposed to go this summer and instead of finding out if you could use the money to fly to a different destination or if you could even get a refund you just cancelled it? Usually when something like this comes up we tell people not to cancel until the very last minute. You are going to either lose the value or have to pay change fees, so why jump the gun. In the future please note that if the airline had changed the times on your flight by a few hours you could have said no and they would have had to give you a refund.

In this case as you had already cancelled and they had refunded you the taxes, I'm not even sure that they would be willing to issue you a credit. If I was one to beg, i would be asking for something like a coupon for a future flight.

6. Michael Anthony

There were several articles in papers yesterday on Russia banning Jehovah Witnesses. Several papers went into detail on events of the past month and how dangerous it is right now in Russia for this religious groups. I have no idea whether it will help you case, but it might, given the details provided. I would just do a Web search on articles.