1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

British Airways faulted reservation and shields managers

Discussion in 'Suggestions?' started by b rappaport, Oct 27, 2017.

1. b rappaport

British Airways admitted to changing my reservation in error and despite 8 attempts via phone calls and speaking to representatives at two airports never addressed the change in any reasonable way despite assurance by representatives that I would be notified before original flight departure and they would reinstate my original booking. I never was successful in speaking with a "duty manager" when I requested at each contact. I was also told because the error had occurred by the Newcastle call center, that other call centers could not make changes. Consequently I did not recapture the seats I had booked months before, arrived at the airport to find I was not confirmed on the original flight nor offered upgrade to be in seats that met the needs of my partner who has some orthopedic and claustrophobia issues. Sent letter to British Airways on return and have received no response in a month's time.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

We can't understand what happened. Can you give us details instead of generalities? Did you book online or on the phone? When did you book, when were/are you traveling, what changes did they make?

We need the entire story to be able to help you.

jsn55 likes this.
  3. b rappaport

I appreciate your assistance. Confused since non-forum wanted less of story.

Details: booked via Orbtiz online May 23, 2017. Confirmation WN36BN Around 9.9.17. called B.A. to inquire about cost of change and said twice not to change. Rep affirmed she had not changed it. Went to check in on 9.16 (for flight originally leaving on 9.17) and discovered flight departure now showing 9.19. Called B.A. 9.16 and was directed to Orbtiz who cited phone call. Called B.A. again and was told everything would be reinstated including seats due to their error and I'd receive email and phone call in 4-5 hours. 6 hours later called B.A. again and was told they could do nothing nor was duty manager available and to show up at airport. Refused to give me new confirmation number. On arrival 9.17 at EDI, departure on 9.19 still showing. Rep made hasty change, told us to speak with reps at Heathrow about seats. Spoke 2 four reps to no avail. including asking for upgrade due to no aisle seats available as originally booked.

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

So a few more questions-

1. Did they charge you for changing the flight to the 17th? If they did, you are be reumbursed for any extra costs.

2. You had seats in the flight but not thevauaje seats you had originally booked- is that correct? But you were seated on the plane? Did you originally pay for seats on the original flights? If so you are owed that too.

Now here is the problem and where it might get sticky- you booked through Orbitz so that's who you should have called to ask about changes, not BA directly. I hope they don't direct you to Orbitz now for resolution.

Let us know how much money you are out if they charged you to change the flight back to the right day and if you paid for seat assignments.

5. b rappaport

thanks for working on this. i appreciate it.
    1. no, not charged that i have seen.
    2. yes i booked twin seats in back of boeing craft i purposely selected (that flight and airplane). had two middle seats in a middle row of plane. my husband has some orthopedic issues and claustrophobia so i book aisle or window always. i don't recall if i paid for those seats. believe i did unless no charge on international flights? my orbitz receipt doesn't break that out.
    3. well i see the sticky problem and the first b.a. rep told me to call the travel agent i booked with. i did speak with orbitz and described the problem and they said i had called b.a. to change. i explained i requested not to change. they said i had to speak with b.a.
    4. the issue for me is 1. being given a tremendous run around including false info about it being reinstated ( i made the rep tell my husband what he told me as a last ditch effort to have some form of "witness"; also have rep's name but think he was doing bidding of b.a. as he was on and off talking to manager several times as was another rep.. 2. the refusal of b.a. to never let me speak with a manager, 3. their lack of giving me a real confirmation before i showed up at airport, 4. the discomfort for my husband. is there any way to get satisfaction when it's not strictly about money? thanks.

6. b rappaport

sorry - i do recall a rep at heathrow saying they'd refunded what we paid for seats but i don't see any refund on my credit card and i think they were trying to fob me off.

7. b rappaport

sorry again - you must get a little frustrated with some of us being a little confused . i do see a charge of $272.00 to B.A. separate from the ticket price charges. that might be seat fees. thanks. perhaps i need to call orbitz and ask them if they have a break out? or british air? the orbitz confirmation does not list the 272. thanks again.

8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

What date is the charge from? The day you arrived at the airport? If so, it might be a price difference in the flight and you should request compensation from BA. But I would ask Orbitz if you should go directly to BA.

If you didn't pay for seat assignments, there is no compensation due.

What you can ask BA for is mileage for the inconvenience of the seats. Even if you had assigned seats, that doesn't mean you are guaranteed those seats. Believe it or not. That is in your Buyers Rights in the US- seat assignments aren't guaranteed.

9. b rappaport

The charge was incurred May 23 - the same day I incurred charges for the tickets. I now am thinking I did pay for seats, recall thinking about ticket price increasing to ensure aisle. would orbitz have itemization do you think? worth contacting them? thanks for sticking with this.

10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

So it was the day you bought the tickets originally? You can ask Orbitz about it. But I would still ask for compensation for it , it probably is a charge for seats.

No need to thank us for sticking with it. This is what we do. We just need to clearly understand what happened so we can give you the right info.

jsn55 likes this.
  11. b rappaport

Thank you. I will contact Orbitz to see if they know what the $272.00 was for. If they don't know, I will try British Airways. Then I'll pursue compensation. Any tips in that regard?
    You also mentioned the possibility of getting miles for the aggravation. You are referring to a loyalty type program? Am feeling very loathe to fly with them again.

12. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

BA owes you for any extra costs you incurred when they rebooked you and if you paid for seat assignments on your original flights, they owe you any money you paid for those seats.

Above and beyond that they don't owe you anything monetarily for the inconvenience you went through. If they got you from point A to point B, that's all they owe you.

That's why we recommend asking for miles for a future flight for the inconvenience. You won't get anything else in most cases. So we recommend asking for miles because they don't have to give you anything for inconvenience.