1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

British Airways business seat selection

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)' started by Susy, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Susy

Why are seat selections costing approximately $100 for each leg before the flight departure time? Seats are available for no cost 24 hours before departure.

2. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@Susy, Welcome to the forum! Exactly what is happening? We are not BA and they don't answer questions on this forum.

We would be happy to assist but we need a bit more info.

AAGK likes this.
  3. Susy

I have business class tickets from the USA to Europe but seat selection costs to select. I just wanted to understand why that is so. What other information would you need?

4. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Many if not most European airlines do not allow advance seat assignments until 24hr prior to the flight. This is true for BA even when paying for Business Class seats. I am actually surprised that BA will even with a fee allow it ;)

We will need to get one of our Travel Agent Advocates to chime in with more exact details.

5. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Many European airlines do charge for advance seat selections depending on what type of ticket you booked. And don't think US airlines are going to be far behind.

If you booked a Business UK seat or any of the fully flexible seats, no charge. If not, there might be. You can go into Manage my Booking to see if the ticket type you booked requires a fee.

If it does, you are going to be in the same boat as a lot of others - you might want to consider just waiting until 48 hours before to choose your seat rather than paying that much extra.

Tickets with increased flexibility allow you to make certain changes to the date and time of your flight. They also include free seat selection:
    • Flexible fares, including Fully Flex, Plus Flex and Business UK – free seat selection from the time of booking.
    • Semi-flexible fares, including Semi-flex and Plus – free seat selection from 48 hours before departure.

You choose your flexibility when you buy your flights. If you’re not sure what type of ticket you have, you can follow the instructions above to choose your seat in Manage My Booking and we'll tell you whether you have to pay or not.

jsn55, AAGK, Patina and 1 other person like this.
  7. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

I knew we needed an expert, @Neil :)

AAGK likes this.
  8. AAGK

Just select your seat for free 24 hours before. You are confirmed for the flight either way.

9. Tanya

Just flew on BA club World, seat selection was available 24-48 hours before departure. Some of our seats were assigned before this. The way the seats are done on BA, no need to worry about sitting next to someone you don't like, lol.

AAGK, Neil and jsn55 like this.
  10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Alas, Susy, airlines charge for advanced seat selection because they CAN. These fees have become a huge source of revenue for the airline, with no effort at all on their part. $100 per leg seems outrageous to me, but I never fly BA. Where I sit is very important to me, but not that many people care, and I'm told that your chances of getting decent seats one minute after the checkin deadline are good. Sorry I can't be more help. Next time, fly Virgin Atlantic!

AAGK likes this.
  11. nativenewyorker

BA does permit free advance seat selection in business for any oneworld elite. So, for example, an American Airlines gold and above flyer is entitled to advance seat selection.

12. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I think we're all aware that elite frequent flyers are exempted from most of the annoying issues of travel. For instance, even if you just have an airline's credit card, you can usually avoid bag fees no matter what your status. I would never book a trip in business or first on an airline that wanted to charge me to select my favorite seat. The fact that people will put up with this is indicative of the sheep mentality.