British Airways : Buh-bye bag

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 30, 2018
Even though there’s a little humor in my homage to the 1990s SNL skit, there is nothing funny about the nightmare that British Airways has put me through.

I have been in Europe for 15 days, and British Airways still has not delivered my personal luggage. They have told me multiple stories:

1) Your bag never left Atlanta
2) Someone stole your bag at Heathrow
3) Your bag is in Barcelona
4) Your bag is at Heathrow and it will be on the next flight to Brussels

I was one of the first, if not the first people to the baggage claim belt in Heathrow. I was flying business class and paid $200 for excess baggage fees. I was also traveling with $60,000 of equipment. Those two cases made it.

If someone stole my bag, I would have seen them do it in baggage claim. I filed a claim, but no one will call me back. British Airways just keeps kicking the can and they clearly have no desire to take responsibility for their failure in customer service.

I have shared my story on social media and the number of similar stories being shared is eye watering. I can only imagine what the number of others around the globe have experienced.

I thought this may be an interesting story topic for you to consider.

Best,

Ethan Stokes

Attachments

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Stokes1978 Your assumption would be that it was stolen at baggage claim. Unfortunately, there have been multiple stories of behind the scenes employees stealing luggage from the secured area. Hopefully your bag will show up. If not, be ready for them to pay you pennies on the dollar. Make sure you save every receipt for temporary replacements while you are waiting.

Jan 30, 2018
Day 16: Still no bag from BA but Lisa from the BA social media team called me. She repeated the BA playbook of not being responsible of my bag being lost because someone stole it. When I pressed on how she knew this and what was her evidence, did she have camera footage, she stated that the bag was scanned in Heathrow so it must have been stolen. When I asked if they have video footage of this, she said I’d need to contact the police — this was after I told her I was the first person at the baggage claim waiting to catch my luggage coming out. Also, I told her that their website still states my luggage never left Atlanta BUT somehow, according to BA customer service, it’s been to Barcelona and London on way to Brussels. Hhmmmmm ... interesting how reading the playbook of how NOT to provide customer service is starting to come to light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 30, 2018
Here is Lisa’s twitter response, continuing the BA party line:

“Thanks for your time on the phone this evening, Ethan. I'm sorry I didn't have the outcome you were hoping for. As advised, because the bag was delivered to the reclaim area, we wouldn't be liable for any claim. Sorry for any disappointment. ^Lisa”

Last edited by a moderator: