Brake System Factory Rejects on Ford F150 Trucks

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 31, 2018
I agree..actually my other vehicle is a 2011 subaru Forrester with 40k miles which was also at the subaru dealer for inspection recently and they told me that the brakes and rotors are fine.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am not sure that you can get any relief because you already had the truck repaired and you don't have the old parts to prove there was nothing wrong with them. You would need the parts to prove your case there was nothing wrong.

May 31, 2018
I am not sure that you can get any relief because you already had the truck repaired and you don't have the old parts to prove there was nothing wrong with them. You would need the parts to prove your case there was nothing wrong.
Actually, since it was Ford's own "certified expert technicians" that determined the parts failed and needed replacement should help in a case against Ford for premature failure due to factory inferior parts or assembly.

Jun 30, 2017
Actually, since it was Ford's own "certified expert technicians" that determined the parts failed and needed replacement should help in a case against Ford for premature failure due to factory inferior parts or assembly.
The parts did not "fail"; they wore out prematurely. Brake pads, rotors, wiper blades, and tires are all parts that wear. They are not warranteed (except for some tires) for a specific mileage. Without having the removed parts, a claim of defective parts is not likely to be successful. Some types of driving (which you do not seem to do) will wear out pads and rotors in 20000 miles (or less). Unless you can find information that this type truck has routinely required brake service at such a low mileage you will likely not make headway with Ford.

Simply avoid this dealer except for warranty work. My five-year-old car with 25000 miles has been to the dealer only once.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
My car is low mileage (still less than 25K miles) and yet two years ago I needed new front pads. Reason being that I had to let the car sit in a tropical climate while deployed to Afghanistan for 9 months. This essentially dorked the front driver brake and the passenger brake was pulling the load. So it wore down very quickly. The mechanic even showed me the car on the lift, so I knew it was legit. New pads and a greasing of everything and the issue was solved. Even the mechanic was stumped as to why a newer low mileage car had this issue until I told him it was parked for so long in a tropical climate.

Check Ford's website with your VIN to see if there are any recalls. There was one for 2013 F150s for master cylinder rear cup seal leaking. Why your dealer wouldn't have known about the recall or looked it up I don't know. The recall number is 16S24. But you should have the master cylinder replaced if the recall covers it.

Personally, I think the dealer pulled a fast one with your rotors too. I would suggest not going back in future.

Nov 12, 2016
You’ve had the truck almost 5 years and never replaced the brakes? It doesn’t matter that there’s only 20,000 miles- the breaks are still 5 years old with miles on them.

I’m not sure you have a valid complaint but I’m not a car expert. One of my colleagues will be able to weigh in better.
Brakes are not time sensitive, I have a 2009 F150 with 204000 Km (127000 miles) and they have never been changed, and are still serviceable, so mileage is not always a factor either. My dealer was also after me every oil change to service the brakes because of the time and miles. Have an independent inspect the brakes, unless you have been driving with your foot on the brake I suspect he will find that the brakes are still serviceable. I am a licensed (but not practicing) heavy duty mechanic.

Aug 9, 2017
You’ve had the truck almost 5 years and never replaced the brakes? It doesn’t matter that there’s only 20,000 miles- the breaks are still 5 years old with miles on them.

I’m not sure you have a valid complaint but I’m not a car expert. One of my colleagues will be able to weigh in better.
I'm a long ago auto mechanic and a mechanical engineer and because of my career I know a fair amount about automotive brake systems. The OP is referring specifically to "brake linings and rotors". Brake linings don't use rotors by the way; brake pads do. Excluding the mileage, just talking about chronological time, linings or pads can last five years easily. Chronological age is not necessarily a criteria for a brake system overhaul. On the other hand, we do not know the driving habits of the owner. He could be one of these people who drive with the left foot resting on the brake pedal. He could have moved from the country where he rarely hit the brakes, to a city type environment where he hits a stop sign every mile. There are just so many extenuating circumstances, none of which we really know, that could explain why "linings and rotors" might be needed but generally chronological age is not one of them. Having said that, there are some people that would argue that the adhesive bond on the pad or lining might suffer due to age.

Warranties generally state that wearable items are not covered. Having said that the best advice is to "Go have your brakes looked at by an independent brake shop" as johnbaker has stated.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a really tough situation. I happen to think the dealer cheated you, but I have an extremely low opinion of them. I got into trouble with an Olds dealer when I was about 24 ... I won the battle, but I've avoided dealer service departments ever since. I keep my vehicles forever (Our F250 is 24 years old and has never had anything other than routine maintenance, he just runs and runs.) so having a good independent mechanic is always a priority for me. Plus, being a girl is a tough one at a dealership!

While I think there's a tiny possibility you could win a fight with Ford, it would take forever and drain you dry emotionally. You can certainly try and submit a polite, concise request for compensation from Ford; they may have other complaints about this dealer, you never know. I'm sorry you had to go through this. Do some research and find a good full-service independent mechanic who will become your instant best friend.

May 31, 2018
This is a really tough situation. I happen to think the dealer cheated you, but I have an extremely low opinion of them. I got into trouble with an Olds dealer when I was about 24 ... I won the battle, but I've avoided dealer service departments ever since. I keep my vehicles forever (Our F250 is 24 years old and has never had anything other than routine maintenance, he just runs and runs.) so having a good independent mechanic is always a priority for me. Plus, being a girl is a tough one at a dealership!

While I think there's a tiny possibility you could win a fight with Ford, it would take forever and drain you dry emotionally. You can certainly try and submit a polite, concise request for compensation from Ford; they may have other complaints about this dealer, you never know. I'm sorry you had to go through this. Do some research and find a good full-service independent mechanic who will become your instant best friend.
Exactly the way I feel. I will send a letter to Ford. I used to always go to the local independent but over the years his workload went out of site and the wait times for me to get service increased dramatically. Consequently, I began just going to the dealer since I bought the F150 new in 2013, because of convenience and quick service. I also been going to the Subaru dealer in the same fashion with my 2011 Forester with no problem. Anyway, I am very wary about the honesty of this Ford dealer now.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Exactly the way I feel. I will send a letter to Ford. I used to always go to the local independent but over the years his workload went out of site and the wait times for me to get service increased dramatically. Consequently, I began just going to the dealer since I bought the F150 new in 2013, because of convenience and quick service. I also been going to the Subaru dealer in the same fashion with my 2011 Forester with no problem. Anyway, I am very wary about the honesty of this Ford dealer now.
Absolutely agree with you about being wary of the dealer. I drove a Navigator for 13 years. He had congenital electrical problems but I had purchased an extended warranty (stupid, right?) so took him in about six times over several years. Each experience was the same: kept the truck all day, called the problem by a new name, didn't fix it and charged me the $100 deductible. Never again! When he died I bought my first non-USA vehicle which killed me, but I had paid my dues to Detroit long enough.