Brake System Factory Rejects on Ford F150 Trucks

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 31, 2018
I purchased a new Ford F150 Truck in July 2013. At my recent inspection in March 2018 at the Ford dealer, I was notified that my truck will not pass inspection without complete replacement of all brake linings and rotors. I was shocked to hear this because my truck is garage kept and only had 20456 miles. I have never towed with this truck. I owned many trucks in my life and never had brakes fail at this low mileage. My claim is therefore that the brake system on this truck is factory defected and I would like some relief/reimbursement for the $972.34 cost I paid to replace the brake pads and rotors.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You’ve had the truck almost 5 years and never replaced the brakes? It doesn’t matter that there’s only 20,000 miles- the breaks are still 5 years old with miles on them.

I’m not sure you have a valid complaint but I’m not a car expert. One of my colleagues will be able to weigh in better.

Jun 30, 2017
Before replacing anything, get the truck checked by an independent service shop. Brakes should NOT need replacement after 20000 miles of regular non-towing use. This smells of a dealer trying to pull a fast one. Modern disc brake pads/rotors typically last 50,000+ miles unless used on high-performance cars (Porsche/BMW etc) or towing a trailer (which you do not do). I would be quite surprised if an independent dealer tells you that you need new pads/rotors.

Jun 30, 2017
Replacing brakes on a 5 year old truck is normal wear and tear. Unless you can prove a manufacturer defect I don't think you're entitled to any compensation.
Replacing brakes on a car/truck with 20,000 miles IS NOT normal wear and tear. Brakes wear when driven, not over time. There are other components on motor vehicles that are time-dependent; -brakes are not one of them.

Sep 19, 2015
Time to start searching for problems

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/...-150-pickups-for-potential-brake-problem.html

Ford is recalling about 271,000 2013-14 F-150 pickups with 3.5-liter V-6 engines because the brakes may malfunction, the automaker said on Wednesday. The company said it was aware of nine accidents but no injuries.
Ford said the brake master cylinder in the affected trucks could leak fluid, and as a result it was possible that the front brakes’ “effectiveness could be reduced.” The rear brakes, which use a different hydraulic system, would still work, but typically the front brakes provide the most stopping power.
The automaker said if a pickup lost too much brake fluid, there warning lights and chimes would go off.
However, many of about 120 owners who complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it felt as if they had lost all stopping power, and there was no advance warning.

Is yours the same engine size? Makes me wonder if there are more problems.....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/...-150-pickups-for-potential-brake-problem.html

Ford is recalling about 271,000 2013-14 F-150 pickups with 3.5-liter V-6 engines because the brakes may malfunction, the automaker said on Wednesday. The company said it was aware of nine accidents but no injuries.
Ford said the brake master cylinder in the affected trucks could leak fluid, and as a result it was possible that the front brakes’ “effectiveness could be reduced.” The rear brakes, which use a different hydraulic system, would still work, but typically the front brakes provide the most stopping power.
The automaker said if a pickup lost too much brake fluid, there warning lights and chimes would go off.
However, many of about 120 owners who complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it felt as if they had lost all stopping power, and there was no advance warning.

Excellent researching!

May 31, 2018
You’ve had the truck almost 5 years and never replaced the brakes? It doesn’t matter that there’s only 20,000 miles- the breaks are still 5 years old with miles on them.

I’m not sure you have a valid complaint but I’m not a car expert. One of my colleagues will be able to weigh in better.

Thanks for your opinion, but I don't agree.

May 31, 2018
Before replacing anything, get the truck checked by an independent service shop. Brakes should NOT need replacement after 20000 miles of regular non-towing use. This smells of a dealer trying to pull a fast one. Modern disc brake pads/rotors typically last 50,000+ miles unless used on high-performance cars (Porsche/BMW etc) or towing a trailer (which you do not do). I would be quite surprised if an independent dealer tells you that you need new pads/rotors.

I should've done that but unfortunately I was shocked and not thinking clearly and let the Ford dealer replace the brakes/rotors so that I can get the inspection sticker.
The brakes pads were wearing fast as evident of the measurements taken at each yearly inspection and I was starting to get some shuddering coming off the highway on to an exit ramp. The rotors were clearly unexpected and the Ford dealer up-charges significantly since they charged me $150. per rotor where aftermarket they are around $40. per rotor.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018
Replacing brakes on a car/truck with 20,000 miles IS NOT normal wear and tear. Brakes wear when driven, not over time. There are other components on motor vehicles that are time-dependent; -brakes are not one of them.
Yes that's what I think too based on my experience.

May 31, 2018

Yes it is a 2013 with 3.5 liter v-6. I have not experienced any master cylinder leaks but maybe there is more to the "brake" issues on those trucks than Ford is admitting at this point!

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@ljakes65 I used to work for GM as an engineer. Go have your brakes looked at by an independent brake shop. There are use conditions that could potentially lead to this (heavy towing, snow plowing, hill use, off road use, winter only use where salt was allowed to stay on the vehicle) and some components will degrade over time but it sounds fishy.

They'll also be able to tell you if it looks like the parts are defective...

May 31, 2018
@ljakes65 I used to work for GM as an engineer. Go have your brakes looked at by an independent brake shop. There are use conditions that could potentially lead to this (heavy towing, snow plowing, hill use, off road use, winter only use where salt was allowed to stay on the vehicle) and some components will degrade over time but it sounds fishy.

They'll also be able to tell you if it looks like the parts are defective...
Thanks. although I don't have access to the "defective" parts, I will from this point forward watch the brake system very carefully and consider your comments.

Jun 30, 2017
I should've done that but unfortunately I was shocked and not thinking clearly and let the Ford dealer replace the brakes/rotors so that I can get the inspection sticker.
The brakes pads were wearing fast as evident of the measurements taken at each yearly inspection and I was starting to get some shuddering coming off the highway on to an exit ramp. The rotors were clearly unexpected and the Ford dealer up-charges significantly since they charged me $150. per rotor where aftermarket they are around $40. per rotor.
Dealers routinely tell customers that the rotors need replacing when the pads are replaced even when the rotors are still within specs. Your rotors might have needed lathe turning ($15-25 each) based on the shuddering you noted, but unlikely that they needed replacement. The pads "might" have needed replacement but also unlikely. It is easy to have your local independent service center check the pads when you have the oil changed. Mine does without even asking. I just replaced brakes on my Toyota (admittedly not a truck) at 100K miles. The rotors were replaced although they might have gone more miles, but since the labor was not that much more and the rotors did not cost $150per, I did them too.

Jun 30, 2017

Unless there are other brake system issues, a master cylinder problem should not lead to premature pad/disc wear, unless the truck had been using the front OR rear brakes only, an unlikely scenario.

Jun 30, 2017
Also, if you are inclined to do so, replacing brakes pads is an easy do-it-yourself job (youtube videos abound). It is a simple afternoon project. Often you need to change only the front (usually) at one time, and the rear pads later. Your local garage can tell you the wear on front vs rear and likely the front pads will wear first. However, if you were to change pads, it is essential to have the wheel you are working on supported by a jack stand, not a vehicle jack.

May 31, 2018
Dealers routinely tell customers that the rotors need replacing when the pads are replaced even when the rotors are still within specs. Your rotors might have needed lathe turning ($15-25 each) based on the shuddering you noted, but unlikely that they needed replacement. The pads "might" have needed replacement but also unlikely. It is easy to have your local independent service center check the pads when you have the oil changed. Mine does without even asking. I just replaced brakes on my Toyota (admittedly not a truck) at 100K miles. The rotors were replaced although they might have gone more miles, but since the labor was not that much more and the rotors did not cost $150per, I did them too.