1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Bouncing between Expedia and British Airways

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by William Dickinson, Sep 25, 2015.

1. William Dickinson

I lost my forum entry after the recent upgrade, so I am posting it again. I have followed the advice on this website and escalated my requests as advised, but I do not even receive a reply, so I hope someone has some helpful advice on how to proceed. So, here we go:

I have been waiting over three and a half months for a refund from British Airways.
    During that time I have contacted British Airways and Expedia at least two dozen times.
    Expedia tells me I need to contact British Airways and British Airways tells me to
    contact Expedia. The latest response (8/18/2015) from British Airways is that I
    need to contact Expedia. I called Expedia on 8/19/2015 and was told they will
    look into the issue. Both BA and Expedia have indicated that my refund was processed, but
    I have not seen it.

About eight weeks ago, a British Airlines representative indicated
    that I should see my refund by the end of the week. About seven weeks ago, I was told by
    a British Airways Customer Service Representative that I would receive a partial
    refund of $167.50 and that I needed to write to BA Customer Service to request
    a full refund. I have not received a refund from British Airways for my ticket.

In March of this year, I booked a flight from Chicago, O'Hare, to Pisa,
    Italy with one stop at London Heathrow (Booking Reference 2EC6RI) at a cost
    of $1600.50. I was booked to leave Chicago, O'Hare on BA flight 1543 at 4:35pm
    Central Time, to London Heathrow, then to Pisa on BA 604. From Pisa, I was
    to take a train to Carrara, Italy for a marble carving workshop which cost $3000.

Two days before the flight departure I received an e-mail from British Airways
    indicating I could select my seats on all four legs of the trip for about $100, so I did.

One day before departure I received another e-mail from British Airways indicating
    I could check in on-line. My attempt to check in on-line failed and I was informed
    that instead of British Airways flight 1543 from Chicago to London, I was assigned to
    American Airlines flight 86 and my new booking reference was VGGZIH. My Expedia itinerary
    number is 199438015532.

Flight 86 was scheduled to depart at 16:35 on June 9, 2015. At departure time,
    we had no plane. At 19:00, we still had no plane, and at that point I realized I
    would not make my connections in Europe.

A number of us on AA flight 86 expressed our concern about failed connections and
    were told by AA staff that they could not help us with connections, and that future
    flights for the next few days were all booked up, so we were offered a refund or we
    could wait for our plane and take our chances in London for connections. I chose
    the refund because I did not want to be stuck at Heathrow all day and night.

When I got home (6 hour drive from Chicago in Wisconsin) I called American Airlines (3 times)
    to get confirmation of my refund. No luck. I contacted British Airways (four times)
    to get confirmation of my refund. The fourth person I spoke with was a very helpful lady
    who attempted to re-book my flight. During her investigation she found a flight but noted
    that because I had been issued a refund (which I would see in about a month), she
    could not re-book my flight. I spent the entire rest of the week on the phone with
    American Airlines and British Airways about my refund.

I have a fixed income (social security) so every dollar is important. So, I lost the $3000 for the workshop, and
    the costs of getting to and from the airport, not to mention the time lost trying to get a resolution. Every time
    I call BA Customer Service, I am put on hold and get a different story. I was told that I would get a full
    refund by the American Airlines person, and BA Customer Service confirmed that I was due a full refund. Expedia
    tells me that I need to contact BA but they have on record that BA processed the refund.
    So, this is a run-around.

I would like to know when I will receive my refund of $1600.50.

Here is the latest response from British Airways:

Dear Mr Dickinson
    Thanks for getting back to us about your delayed flight AA86 from Chicago in June.
    Keith William has asked me to respond on his behalf. We're sorry for the delay in our response.
    After reviewing the case and your booking, I've found that there's nothing further we can do about your refund.
    As the booking was with a travel agent, in Expedia, you must contact them to get the full refund.
    We don't own the booking and therefore are unable to offer you the full refund.
    Expedia are in control of the booking and will be able to offer you the refund you deserve.
    The partial refund was processed on 30 July so you should've received this by now.
    We appreciate this process has taken a couple of months now and we're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.
    Once again, thanks for contacting us. We really do appreciate your support and feedback.
    If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us using the blue link below.
    Best Regards
    Christopher Green
    British Airways Social Media Executive
    Your case reference is:14168956

Also note the BA Contract of Carriage section dealing with my situation:

Refunds
    10a) General
    10a1) We will refund the fare and any surcharge for your ticket, or any unused part of it
    and any taxes, fees and charges, as set out in our fare rules and tariffs.
    10a2) Unless we say otherwise, we will only make a refund to the person who paid for the ticket.
    10a3) You must, if you want a refund, prove to us that you are the person who paid for the ticket.
    10a4) Unless you are applying for a refund on a lost ticket, we will only make the refund if you
    first give us the ticket and all unused flight coupons.

10b) Involuntary fare refunds
    10b1) We will pay fare refunds as set out below if we:
    -cancel a flight
    -make a significant change to a flight time which is not acceptable to you
    -delay a flight by five hours or more
    -fail to stop at your place of destination or stopover
    -cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you held a confirmed reservation or
    -refuse to carry you because a banning notice is in force against you.
    10b2) If you have not used any part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to the fare and any
    surcharge and any taxes, fees and charges you have paid.
    10b3) If you have used part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to at least the difference
    between the fare and any surcharge, taxes, fees and charges you have paid and the correct fare,
    surcharge, taxes, fees and charges for travel between the points for which you have used your ticket.

10c) Voluntary fare refunds
    10c1) If you are entitled to a refund of the fare for your ticket for reasons other than those
    set out in clause 10b, the refund will be as follows.
    10c2) If you have not used any part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to the fare and any
    surcharge and any taxes, fees and charges you have paid, less any cancellation and reasonable service charge.
    10c3) If you have used part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to the difference between the fare and
    any surcharge, taxes, fees and charges you have paid and the correct fare, surcharge, taxes, fees and charges for travel between the points for which you have used the ticket, less any cancellation and reasonable service charge.

2. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

Expedia is you agent and they are the ones to get the refund credited to your credit card. I am so sorry that you used an OTA as they provide zero service and give passengers the run around. They put in for the refund. I am guess that they are wanting the carrier to do it as then they can keep their commission.

Neil likes this.
  3. Realitoes

I agree with bodega - Expedia is the one that should be helping your resolve this situation since you purchased the tickets through them. With that said, British Airways could assist you in getting your refund also, if they wanted.

If you have been through all the contacts this site provides, I would then recommend filing a complaint with your state consumer protection agency and/or the BBB against Expedia (they are a member of the BBB - so they must to respond to your complaint to maintain their membership). At the same time, file a complaint with the DOT against BA. Hopefully one of those will get somebody working to resolve your situation.

If the above doesn't help, you might want to consider small claims court.

Good luck

Neil likes this.
  4. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

Your next step should be with your credit card. When did you purchase the ticket? Do you have proof in writing from BA that they did refund? If so, contact your credit card company and proceed that way. You would need the date and the amount of the refund from BA for your credit card company. Since you paid by credit card, the refund does not go to the issuing agency, but right to your card.
    Yes, BA could be more helpful, but since it was booked via an agency, carriers do direct passengers back to the place of purchase.

Neil likes this.
  5. AAGK

This is completely unfair. A couple of questions:
    1. On your credit card bill, does it say Expedia or BA?
    2. Did you receive that 167 BA promised? If not, call them back and ask them to provide you the refund code number- There is a code they use that is traceable between the merchant and your credit card. If they refunded that then they should be able to provide that easily. If they can't, they are lying. Bring that number to your card issuer and have them trace it.
    3. If you made it to the airport and were about to board, then @bodega3 correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that mean BA already had the ticket money from Expedia? So the refund would have to come from BA as Expedia no longer had the funds. Is that right?

6. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

Regarding question #3. When the carrier got paid will depend on when the ticket was issued. If this was a last minute travel, like a few days out, then the report hasn't been done and the carrier would not have charged the card...that is very possible. But the agency is on account for that payment regardless.

7. AAGK

Got it. My experience with this always involved my own cancellation so had to get my credit from the OTA, even though the airline was on my bill. @bodega3 in general for a ticket booked one month out, when does that official transfer take place- from OTA to airline? Or do you always deal with the OTA if you book through them?

8. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

An OTA would not give you credit unless they ran the ticket price through their inhouse credit card account. If a carrier is on your credit card, they credit you card back, not the agency.
    When a ticket is run in the GDS, the agency's books close at midnight on Sunday night, of every week. A report is done on Tuesday...unless there is a holiday involved and then it would be the next day. When the report is done, which is electronic, your ticket number is sent to the carrier with payment information and the carrier then charges your card. The agency only gets an approval code at the time of issue. If the ticket is charged via the travel agency's credit card account, it goes to ARC as a cash transaction. The charge is up to the agency on when they put it through, but usually they put the charge through with an approval code and then run the ticket in the GDS showing cash as the form of payment to the carrier.
    When a ticket is issued, that is when your cancellation period begins, not when the carrier charges the card. A ticket number is sent via your reservation in the GDS immediately to the carrier.

I hope I answered your questions.

LaurieB likes this.
  9. Eamon

It seems to me that you have been more than patient. Since your flight originated from Chicago you have some resources nearby that others may not have. Kent College of Law and Loyola both have programs that can help with alternative dispute resolution (ADR) you may contact them through their websites.
    Cook County has Mandatory Arbitration of many civil disputes less than $30000. See here for details. This does, as far as I can tell, require the filing of a civil suit and the filing fees are not inexpensive compared with other jurisdictions, however fee waivers are available. See here for fees, and waiver information.
    I'm not from Chicago so I don't know if there is a direct entry (without filing a lawsuit) into the civil mediation program. In my area there is, and its use is encouraged. Ask the Clerk of the Court if you can go directly to voluntary mediation.
    I've found medication arranged through the court very helpful when dealing with recalcitrant companies including airlines. The court sends a notice of hearing to the registered agent for the company which is of course sent to their legal department. Once the legal department investigates internally I've found problems are quickly resolved. In fact I've scheduled at least a dozen mediation conferences in the last few years, yet never had to actually go as it always have been resolved before the appointed hearing.

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  10. William Dickinson

Thank you all for your input. Will try a number of suggestions....

jsn55 likes this.
  11. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Eamon, you have just made my night with this typo: "I've found MEDICATION arranged through the court very helpful ... ".
    YES! Chloroform the jerks until they do the right thing. I'm sorry, but I've had a very bad 10 days and this made me laugh for the first time in days.

Neil likes this.
  12. William Dickinson

I filed a complaint with the BBB yesterday. Will see what happens and report back.

Bill

13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Bill, the BBB is useless. They cannot control anything that a business does. There was just a very big expose about how the BBB is controlled by the businesses that pay them for being listed.

I would suggest using our company contacts and contacting the executives at both companies to try ans straighten it out. They will do more than the BBB.

You can also get a better response by writing to the Attorney General in the State that Expedia is located in. That will go further than the BBB.

jsn55 likes this.
  14. William Dickinson

Thanks for your advice. I will follow up with the Washington State Attorney General.

Bill

Neil and jsn55 like this.
  15. William Dickinson

Well, a dead end I guess. Nothing has worked. Guess I'll have to chalk this up as a loss. I was hoping Chris Elliott could help...

16. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

That's just the point! Chris will likely help if you have followed all our steps and provide him with the paper trail showing you have exhausted all avenues.

Let us know exactly who you sent emails to and gather that email trail so we can take one last look before we request Chris look it over. Remember outside eyes may still see something you don't.

Grant Ritchie and Flywisely like this.
  17. Flywisely

@William Dickinson
    What was your original e-ticket number, just give me the first 3 digits? Was it 001 or 125?
    We need to be clear which airline owed you the refund.
    What was your original form of payment? Did you check that for the refund?
    It can take more than 2 billing cycles after your refund was supposedly processed.

After all these have been clarified and you still do not get a refund, then this is the time for Mr. Elliott to do his magic.

18. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@William Dickinson you need to help us to help you! Get @Flywisely the answers he needs and clarify what exactly "nothing has worked" for us.

19. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You haven't give the AG enough time. They need at least 2-3 months to get a response to you. You need to be more patient for the AG to see what they can do. They contact the business and give them a certain time frame to respond.

Did you receive an acknowledgement from the AG? That usually arrived within a month.

But don't give up yet.

jsn55 likes this.
  20. Realitoes

William,

What were the responses you received from Expedia thru the BBB and the State AG? As stated, if you have the paper trail and followed advise from this forum, then we can ask Chris to take a look.

Neil and VoR61 like this.