Bogus BRG Guarantee by Choice Hotels

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 28, 2017
I have been able to submit several successful BRG claims in the past. Lately ,however, they have been consistently denied. I am able to find a lower price but it seems the other websites have a different cancellation policy which ranges from a day to a few hours.It seems that Choice has done this for the sole intent on not honoring their widely publicized offer of a Best Rate Guarantee. Despite a price difference , Choice reps insist that this is not "apples to apples" and will not honor the BRG.I say shame. I especially have an issue whenever 'Greg" responds online. He seems to be hell bent on honoring the BRG policy for whatever reason. On a recent claim ,his response was that my address was unkown despite that I filled out their form correctly.I also have had Choice adjust their price to the competitor within the time my claim was submitted and denied. Why have an adverised BRG policy? Oh, to dupe the consumer,of course.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They have the policy because they do guarantee their prices are lowest including the cancellation policy. It has to be an apples to apples comparison - All terms must be the same. They are encouraging you to book directly and trying to stop booking through 3rd parties with lower prices. Why can they do it? Because it’s their policy. And they are saying their prices and terms have to be exactly the same.

It seems if you are seeing this many discrepancies you are playing the system instead of doing homework beforehand to make sure you have the best price. This is why they are so strict and they most likely know exactly what you are doing so they are going to scrutinize your “claim”.

If it were me- I don’t think I would continue playing this because you might find yourself banned from staying at all of their hotels. Just book it elsewhere if you find it cheaper and the cancellation

Sep 19, 2015
My travel plans can change a lot so hotel cancellation policies are very important to me. I have seen different policies with the same rate -- and I chose the one that has the most flexibility.

Basically I am saying that I agree with Neil that the cancellation policy has to be exactly the same for it to be an appropriate comparison between rooms. I do not think that requiring the comparable room to have the same cancellation policy as an attempt to dupe the customer.

Nov 28, 2017
They have the policy because they do guarantee their prices are lowest including the cancellation policy. It has to be an apples to apples comparison - All terms must be the same. They are encouraging you to book directly and trying to stop booking through 3rd parties with lower prices. Why can they do it? Because it’s their policy. And they are saying their prices and terms have to be exactly the same.

It seems if you are seeing this many discrepancies you are playing the system instead of doing homework beforehand to make sure you have the best price. This is why they are so strict and they most likely know exactly what you are doing so they are going to scrutinize your “claim”.

If it were me- I don’t think I would continue playing this because you might find yourself banned from staying at all of their hotels. Just book it elsewhere if you find it cheaper and the cancellation
Playing the system? Because I travel and require 100+ hotels nights a year,I do MY research. Manipulating their prices and cancellation policy simply by tweeking times does not offer the consumer a Best Rate Guarantee situation. IMO, they have no right make such a guarantee if they are simply playing a shell game.Many other chains have similar guarantees but offer a reduction and when proof is provided,they DO the right thing and remain competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Realitoes

I have been able to submit several successful BRG claims in the past. Lately ,however, they have been consistently denied. I am able to find a lower price but it seems the other websites have a different cancellation policy which ranges from a day to a few hours.It seems that Choice has done this for the sole intent on not honoring their widely publicized offer of a Best Rate Guarantee. Despite a price difference , Choice reps insist that this is not "apples to apples" and will not honor the BRG.I say shame. I especially have an issue whenever 'Greg" responds online. He seems to be hell bent on honoring the BRG policy for whatever reason. On a recent claim ,his response was that my address was unkown despite that I filled out their form correctly.I also have had Choice adjust their price to the competitor within the time my claim was submitted and denied. Why have an adverised BRG policy? Oh, to dupe the consumer,of course.
Many of the "Price Guarantees" including those offered by booking companies, require that the bookings (product) to match exactly, (room type, dates, cancellation policy...).

By design to minimize instances where the guarantee can be invoked, hotels probably will not advertise or permit other booking sites to offer bookings that have the same cancellation policy. While OTA sites may have a lower price, in most cases the terms are going to be more restrictive than those offered on their own site. In any case, the product you are comparing is considered different (different terms), therefore, not eligible for the guarantee.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
c thompson we do have company contacts on top of our pages. You can write to them and express your displeasure.

But I still say book where you find the lowest price and best cancellation policy. The programs are put together in the hotels favor - but if the cancellation policies are not exactly the same it is not an apples to apples comparison.

Sep 19, 2015
C Thompson I am not sure why you call the guarantee a shell game. There are times that I want to be able to cancel even on the day of arrival -- and I think many business people want the same. Cancellation policy is a big factor is my decision process.

I am not sure why it is being called a shell game.