1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Billed for DirecTV warranty I didn't agree to

Discussion in 'DirecTV' started by Maddam1, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Maddam1

I have also been being charged for a Sat Protection fee of $6.99 and when I spoke to Direct TV about this they have NO record of me having any protection on my equipment. ALSO, when I had signed up for the Direct TV I told the sales man that I did NOT want the protection and he said ok. The month after that I noticed I had been charged so I just assumed it was Direct TV and it might be worth it.
    Direct TV is looking into it and it may take 10-14 days. So, I did some searching myself. I looked on line and located a phone # for New Star Communications # 1-800-528-1999 (they'd been reported to the BBB) I called and told the rep that I had NOT signed up for this protection plan. She than tried to tell me that Tanner (whomever) called me and set it up over the phone with me. SAY WHAT??!! NO! I did not and would not had given my info over the phone! So I told her to cancel it now. I will be calling others to see how or if I can get my $ back. $6.99 adds up over months.

2. Bergman

Many Directv customers are billed via credit card. I’d suggest you protest the charges beginning with the first charge. Note that most credit card issuers have some limit as to how many months back may be protested so take action sooner than later.

Neil likes this.
  3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

If you're talking about a filing a dispute with the CC, it's important to try to solve the issue directly with the vendor first. Only after you've done everything possible to correct the issue should you file a CC dispute.

If you're referring to going all the way back to the first incorrect billing from the vendor, that's exactly what should be done. The vendor should issue the credit directly to the consumer.

I look at a CC dispute as my last protection against a vendor who refuses to take care of my issue ... kind of like a privilege. If too many people file incorrect CC disputes, pretty soon the CC companies won't offer the service. In these days of purchasing goods and services on the internet using a credit card, it's easy for vendors to ignore their customers. Not like you can march down to the store and demand justice for your broken whatever.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Neil likes this.
  4. Its Not Me

Look back at your original email confirming service- I"m sure you got one.

The original paperwork usually spells out most charges. If there is no fee for the charges then there is no fee for the 'insurance.'

I switched from FIOS back to TWC in November - and but for the fact that TWC has the absolute worst customer service - once you reach an adult wth responsibility they do act timely - I received a bill for $49.99 for installation when I had written confirmation detailing zero installation charge.

I needed to go through 3 steps to find someone with the authority to reverse the bill - and it never got done. But I insisted that the person I spoke to detailed the reasons for the call and the finding to credit me the install charge in the customer notes section.

So when I called back after the next bill arrived without a proper credit I was able to have that person read those notes -and credit me $25 for having to call back.

If it is not written down, it did not happen. when dealing with cable/sat/tv/cell providers - all resolutions must be detailed in the customer notices section and read back to you. . . .

jsn55 and VoR61 like this.