Bill from Princess - can't get explanation what it's for

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
So our contact Lisa returned to work after the holidays and cleared her in-box as fast as possible. Good for her ... she's following the first rule of complaints, "Keep obfuscating and pretty soon they'll go away". While we do see quick miracles here occasionally, more often it's just a slog through the system. OUR first rule of complaints is "Polite, persistent, patient" and we have good success.

I remember a months-long dialogue with Blue Shield about some Rx reimbursements way back when. I had followed their instructions to the letter, but they threw things at my head for months. "My guy" was Jose, he was in LA. He was a very nice man. I am a very nice woman. We had had probably 35 telephone conversations over six months. One day I said, "Look Jose, let's be honest here. You come to work every day to deny claims, that's your job. My job is to obtain reimbursement for my Rx expenses and I AM NOT GOING AWAY.". Two weeks later I had a check. Polite, persistent, patient.
Brilliant!!!

Dec 19, 2017
Ok, so I should email Lisa Black again. I realize she cleared out her emails and did respond to my last sentence of my email by sending me right back to where I started:
I am surprised to receive this bill for what appears to be internal invoices. Please clarify the details of this invoice.
I think I was too polite and not clear on what I needed. I do understand most of the invoices now. I'll work on a reply and send it Monday...since she'll be looking forward to the weekend tomorrow.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ok, so I should email Lisa Black again. I realize she cleared out her emails and did respond to my last sentence of my email by sending me right back to where I started:
I am surprised to receive this bill for what appears to be internal invoices. Please clarify the details of this invoice.
I think I was too polite and not clear on what I needed. I do understand most of the invoices now. I'll work on a reply and send it Monday...since she'll be looking forward to the weekend tomorrow.
I wouldn’t email her again- I would email the next executive and forward the message she sent you and tell the next one it’s obvious she didn’t read your message because the charge appears to be a charge that belongs to
Princess and not you.

Dec 19, 2017
Technically, she did not reply to me, but appeared to forward my email to customer relations to take care of it...and they replied to me. Been there, done that (how I've rather disliked that phrase, but it fits so well here!).

I'll consider all of this....and work on it over the weekend.

Thank you, everyone, for your valued input.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017
I tried to be concise. It still seems longish...

My address, etc​

Roger Frizzell
Senior Vice President & Chief Communications Officer, Carnival Corp
24305 Town Center Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Dear Mr. Frizzell,

I received a bill on November 25th for $2125.69 stating that if the charges were not paid within sixty days it would be sent to an outside collection agency. I had never received any previous notice of this bill. I am currently disputing it.

Since then, in an effort to learn what the specifics of the bill were and question whether I should have even received this bill, I have:
emailed and talked with Rula in Customer Relations a few times,
emailed Emily Foote in Medical Records a few times,
talked with Angela in Guest Relations,
talked with Alli in Financial Services, and
emailed Lisa Black, Manager, Customer Relations and Communications.​
Lisa Black, as far as I could tell, did not read my letter; she forwarded it to Customer Relations who sent an email telling me to contact Medical Records. I have gone in circles for the last six weeks.

This bill appears to be internal invoices. I have attached the invoices to this email. Amounts are approximations, yen to dollars:

$1500 for a Japanese/English translator - First, the doctor on the Diamond Princess told me the translator was provided by the cruise line and would help as needed. No one told me I would be paying for his services. I was under the impression he was a part-time employee of Princess and, as such, paid by Princess. Secondly, it appears he charged me for three days when I did not call nor require his services since an English speaking hospital administrator had returned from vacation and was a great help.

$29 for flowers sent to me - I’m paying for flowers when the card signed was by my translator and Princess personnel? I have a photo with the card I can attach to prove it.

$43 for "communication" - according to Emily Foote:”communication between the port agent and the hospital regarding your condition concerning the authorities (ie customs, immigrations, etc)”.

$575 for a “hospitalization handling fee” - what is that? No one, not even Emily Foote who has helped me the most, has been able to tell me what this charge is.​

Frankly, the charges appear to be internal invoices; I would be happy if you could make these charges disappear from my account. Thank you.

Sincerely

Dec 19, 2017
I sent my email to Roger Frizzell this morning and received the following reply about 45 minutes later:

Sandra,
I just forwarded your note to my colleagues at Princess to help get this resolved. Roger​

I was impressed to receive such a quick response even if it was just to tell me he forwarded my email. Being that he's an exec with Carnival Corporation I can understand him kicking it back to Princess. I'm concerned that I have no idea who he sent it to...especially if I don't get a timely reply. He did say "colleagues" so I'm assuming (or hoping) someone higher than Lisa Black.

Feb 9, 2016
I tried to be concise. It still seems longish...

My address, etc​

Roger Frizzell
Senior Vice President & Chief Communications Officer, Carnival Corp
24305 Town Center Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Dear Mr. Frizzell,

I received a bill on November 25th for $2125.69 stating that if the charges were not paid within sixty days it would be sent to an outside collection agency. I had never received any previous notice of this bill. I am currently disputing it.

Since then, in an effort to learn what the specifics of the bill were and question whether I should have even received this bill, I have:
emailed and talked with Rula in Customer Relations a few times,
emailed Emily Foote in Medical Records a few times,
talked with Angela in Guest Relations,
talked with Alli in Financial Services, and
emailed Lisa Black, Manager, Customer Relations and Communications.​
Lisa Black, as far as I could tell, did not read my letter; she forwarded it to Customer Relations who sent an email telling me to contact Medical Records. I have gone in circles for the last six weeks.

This bill appears to be internal invoices. I have attached the invoices to this email. Amounts are approximations, yen to dollars:

$1500 for a Japanese/English translator - First, the doctor on the Diamond Princess told me the translator was provided by the cruise line and would help as needed. No one told me I would be paying for his services. I was under the impression he was a part-time employee of Princess and, as such, paid by Princess. Secondly, it appears he charged me for three days when I did not call nor require his services since an English speaking hospital administrator had returned from vacation and was a great help.

$29 for flowers sent to me - I’m paying for flowers when the card signed was by my translator and Princess personnel? I have a photo with the card I can attach to prove it.

$43 for "communication" - according to Emily Foote:”communication between the port agent and the hospital regarding your condition concerning the authorities (ie customs, immigrations, etc)”.

$575 for a “hospitalization handling fee” - what is that? No one, not even Emily Foote who has helped me the most, has been able to tell me what this charge is.​

Frankly, the charges appear to be internal invoices; I would be happy if you could make these charges disappear from my account. Thank you.

Sincerely
Pardon my bluntness but I would just say "no".

I'm not paying for flowers that princess sent to me.
I'm not paying for a Japanese translator when it was indicated to me that they were part of the amenities I enjoyed by being a princess customer. Not to mention, hospitals in foreign countries have doctors that speak English and/or can get someone to translate. Professional hospitals let you know there is a fee before they arrange this help. It's just professional to do this.
I'm not paying $43 for someone to disclose my medical situation without consulting me first (HIPPA laws, at best my right to privacy) and I'm not paying $43 for a situation where i wasn't informed of the charge beforehand.
As far as your $575 for hospitalization handling fee - what is that? break it down and I will consider the charge.

When I was pregnant it was suggested to me that I get genetic testing. No one informed me that there would be a charge, I thought it was part of the services provided. I got a bill for $300 some odd dollars at a later date. I called and said exactly that and the fee was waived.

Unless princess can call up these charges in their contract of carriage, they don't get to stick you with mystery bills after the fact. they're just trying to profit from your misery.

Charging you for flowers? SMH!

Good luck

Dec 19, 2017
Success!!!! Mr. Frizzell forwarded my email to Lisa Black (same person who blew me off Jan. 3rd). I assume he told her what he wanted done. I received a phone call from Lisa ten minutes ago. The charges are dropped and I am receiving a $500 credit on a future cruise as is the lady friend that I travel with. Woohoooooo!!

Thank you, each and every one of you, for your valuable input and support. I so appreciate the time you give to helping all of us. Thank you so much!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Success!!!! Mr. Frizzell forwarded my email to Lisa Black (same person who blew me off Jan. 3rd). I assume he told her what he wanted done. I received a phone call from Lisa ten minutes ago. The charges are dropped and I am receiving a $500 credit on a future cruise as is the lady friend that I travel with. Woohoooooo!!

Thank you, each and every one of you, for your valuable input and support. I so appreciate the time you give to helping all of us. Thank you so much!
SO happy to hear this, Sandy. Polite, patient and persistent wins the day again!