Best Buy Refrigerator Delivery Ruined Kitchen and Basement

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 5, 2017
@Joe Farrell - the refrigerator was paid for back in november ... i pay all my credit cards on time as i did with this one. i dont know how they're going to refund me when i'm two months down the road from payment.

i also just don't want to lay out my own money .. i'm single and work two jobs - so the time spent dealing with small claims as well as fronting my own money for these repairs seems daunting and unlikely at this point. if it comes down to it next week, i will go to small claims. unfortunately, i cannot afford the repairs on my own right now and am not going to risk ruining my credit (as i've never paid interest on any credit card up to this point) not knowing when or if a reimbursement will happen.

Jan 5, 2017
@Joe Farrell and all -- i also just contacted my credit card company to dispute the purchase and they're putting a conditional refund on my account - the only reason they said it would be taken back would be if best buy calls and challenges the dispute. i'm sure they will dispute.

@Joe Farrell and all -- i also just contacted my credit card company to dispute the purchase and they're putting a conditional refund on my account - the only reason they said it would be taken back would be if best buy calls and challenges the dispute. i'm sure they will dispute.
they might very well - but when Best Buy gets the challenge - they'll call you.

You need to prepare a very nice letter to your bank - thanking them for the provisional credit - and asserting:

"I assert that I purchased a working refrigerator with an ice machine and cold water system. This system is not working. The ice maker, is not working. The installation attempt damaged my home. This has been going on for two months now - with no one accepting responsibility for the non-working refrigerator or the installation damage. The manufacturer, the installer and the retailer continue to avoid liability and point fingers at each but all claim they are not responsible and have taken weeks to even respond to the problem. I paid in good faith and do not have the benefit of my bargain. They are welcome to come remove the refrigerator and I will purchase a different one. I hope that you will side with me since I have not gotten what I paid for with my [name of bank] [type of card] credit card ending in 4321"

Feb 9, 2016
@Vanessa B the good thing about a charge back is that it usually encourages the other party to contact you, when they have been otherwise silent and unhelpful. The hope here is that best buy will contact you, you can explain to them what is going on and someone at BB will light a fire under the appropriate people who will then resolve your issues asap.

If you plan on keeping the refrigerator, may I suggest you ask BB for a 20% discount for your troubles (provided as a refund to your credit card) and that you ask for all delivery fees to be refunded.

Jan 5, 2017
@sas80 the delivery was free ... but after all is said and done (which we have a long way to go ... i still haven't gotten a call from PDA on what i consider the "unbiased and legitimate" contractor - that call should be coming today) are you saying that i should ask for a 20% refund on top of them fixing all of the damages?

Feb 9, 2016
@sas80 the delivery was free ... but after all is said and done (which we have a long way to go ... i still haven't gotten a call from PDA on what i consider the "unbiased and legitimate" contractor - that call should be coming today) are you saying that i should ask for a 20% refund on top of them fixing all of the damages?
yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

You've spent a lot of time working out an issue that was caused by a vendor they selected. While you understand 'unfortunate things occur' a google search of this company readily demonstrates that they have a reliable track record, and it is all negative. While you have always been extremely satisfied with the service you have received from Best Buy, you would appreciate it if they could acknowledge your situation and accommodate your time and patience by offering a 20% discount on the refrigerator. I would appreciate it if this refund could be granted in the form of.....

Here's where it gets tricky - if you are going to purchase again from BB, then you can ask for a store credit/gift card. You will most likely get it, if you ask for this type of refund.

If you ask for a refund onto your credit card, that might be harder to sell.

Your call. Let us know how things continue to roll out.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Maybe you could purchase a cell phone through them? Any warranty, etc. would be handled by the manufacturer or the cell phone carrier.
I agree, there must be hundreds of things to buy at BB, so don't overlook that fairly-easy solution. It's probably as difficult to pry cash out of BB as it is out of an airline.

Jan 5, 2017
@sas80 @jsn55 i'm not following .... my apologies. could you elaborate a little more? are you saying i should get the credit in the form of a best buy gift card and buy something that is essentially fool proof for best buy to have any installation or warranty involvement in ... i.e.: a cell phone case etc

Feb 9, 2016
It is just going to be much easier to get a gift card from BB as compensation.

I think you should go after the cash and, if they say no, then ask for a gift card.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It is just going to be much easier to get a gift card from BB as compensation.

I think you should go after the cash and, if they say no, then ask for a gift card.
Yes, Vanessa, much easier for them to give you store credit rather than cash. You got it right. They owe you big time, they caused this nightmare. You'll be made whole in the end, but a few hundred dollars of "free merchandise" would be a nice way of saying "Sorry". I've patronized BB for years without an issue, so you shouldn't worry about getting something that doesn't work right.

May 17, 2016
Then, through no fault of her own - the homeowner has to answer "yes' to 'have you filed a claim in the last 3/5/7 years' when she wants insurance? To get rated and charged more? Not my recommendation.

I tend to be big stick first - you can always be nice later.

You've given them a chance to repair it - all they have done is pass the buck. As long as you have - IN WRITING - demands for repair that list times and dates and have responses from those email addresses - this is what you do:

1. contact a remediation company to clean up the existing mold and remove damaged drywall and whatnot;

2. find a licensed contractor or handyman service to perform all required repairs and to hook up the water line properly.

3. gather up the photos - before you pay the contractor get a written statement under oath of the repairs required and what they were due to - i.e., improper water line hookup -

4. File a small claims action for the total price against Best Buy corporate, the local store, and the delivery company. I'm hoping this will be less than $10k - because then in most places it is small claims -

5. Bring the documents and photos to court - then - after you get your judgement [because no one will show up] and 10 calendar days after you've made a demand for payment in full - you then get a sheriff to go to the local best buy store with a writ of attachment and start raiding cash registers and seizing sales that are made to ensure payment.

You will be smiling standing in the lobby of the store while management scrambles to get you a check . . . . don't take one. They can put a stop order on it - cash only -

I did this with an airline at LAX once - the emotional succor you get from making THEM scramble is priceless.
I love your aggressive advice!

Mar 21, 2016
They should compensate you very well. I had two failed deliveries on an $1100 dishwasher last year. By the time the delivery company and Best Buy finished giving me credits and gift cards, I paid $100 for it. No damage. Just wasted my time. Once I got through to a VPs office, I got tremendous service.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
They should compensate you very well. I had two failed deliveries on an $1100 dishwasher last year. By the time the delivery company and Best Buy finished giving me credits and gift cards, I paid $100 for it. No damage. Just wasted my time. Once I got through to a VPs office, I got tremendous service.
Great story! Do you want to share your contact with our OP? You can just click on her avatar and 'start a conversation' with her.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi All--

so here's an update ... sedgwick (best buy's insurance company) is willing to issue me a check minus depreciation (which is ridiculous because the fridge was installed the day after i closed on the house) ... however, they're asking me to sign a document that states the below. mind you, i also disputed the charge on my card and it becomes permanent on 3/7/17. i just had someone from best buy call me about the charge on the card now and why i'm still pursuing it. i told them that my fridge has not properly worked since the day i received it and have over $5500 in damage to my house, $1000 of which will not be included in the check from sedgwick. i paid ~1300 for the fridge which is almost equal to the amount that i'm going to have to shovel out of pocket to fix my damages. do i sign the below and send back to sedgwick now to get my check for the contractor to begin their work, or do i wait until 3/7? or do i do something else? letter to sign states below:

"vanessa who does hereby and for my/our/its heirs, executors, administrators, successors, and assign release, acquit and forever discharge Best Buy Co, its employees, officers, and directors and his, her, their, or its agents, servants, successors, heirs, executors, administrators and all other persons, firms and corporations, whether herein named or referred to or not, of and from any and all past, present and future actions, causes of action, claims, demands, damages, costs, medical bills, loss wages, loss of services, expenses, compensation, third party actions, suits at law or in equity, including claims or suits for contribution and/or indemnity, of whatever nature, and all consequential damage on account of, or in any way growing out of any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen bodily injuries or personal injuries and unforeseen propoerty damages and the consequence thereof resulting or to result from the occurence on or about the 20th of December. it is understood and agreed that this settlement is the compromise of a doubtful and disputed claim, and that the payment made is not to be construed as an admission of liability on the part of the party or parties hereby released and that said releases deny liability therefore and intend merely to avoid litigation and buy their peace. the undersigned further decalres and represents that no promise, inducement or agreement not herein expressed has been made to the undersigned and that this release contains the entire agreement between the parties hereto and the the terms of this release are contractual and not a mere recital."

Jan 8, 2015
I wouldn't sign it because there is no depreciation. Perhaps they are claiming that the floor was old and so installing new flooring would make you more than whole? Just doesn't make any sense. It would be nice to know how they arrived at their numbers.

Also, from everything I have read, the fridge was working properly, it was the incorrectly installed connection which caused the issues. I would think that someone would have been able to get you hooked up in 15 minutes by now. The only way that wouldn't be possible is if the connection on the fridge was busted, in which case they should repair it under their warranty or at their cost. i really think you need to push back on this.

Jan 5, 2017
@Mike Z the depreciation was on the estimate from PDA which was an unbiased contractor who came out and assessed the damage. they would not give an explanation past that.

the fridge hookup was just fixed this past monday ... two months after my first complaint. the repair money is coming from best buy's insurance company, however, it's not going to cover all the damage money i need to fix it from the contractor i hired (they're not providing one). i'm just worried and convinced that best buy is not going to allow this credit to remain permanent on my credit card. they have 12 business days left to dispute, like i said, and today was the first day that they've called. i disputed this about a month and a half ago ... i posted it on this thread the day i did it.