Beltmann Movers / North American Van Lines - Denied Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 11, 2018
The sales rep said he can't provide any details of insurance coverage. So at this point I had 100% coverage but no details as to specifics. I'm going to keep plugging away at this to see if they even provided me with disclosure on insurance coverage. The sales rep said in an email that he did not.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If they cannot provide you with any disclaimer that tells you the insurance is null and void if you pack our own boxes - I would file a complaint with the Attorney General in your state. If you had known the insurance wouldn't cover what you packed I would imagine that you would have let them pack, wouldn't you?

You must show them proof of the damages, though.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
If you have a commissioner of insurance in your state, that might be a more direct approach.
Years ago a mover changed his mind about me owing him more money /after the move had been complete, but before my items came out of storage for delivery / when I mentioned contacting the FL Insurance Commisioner of my own behalf.
I always thought he def did not want anyone looking at his records. It was a matter of a ‘math mistake’ he made and then wanted to correct after the fact of the move. We had a contract, not an estimate and I felt like it was possible that he mistake had been deliberate, in order to get the contract for the move.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm confused ... what does the Insurance Commissioner have to do with movers? Are you referring to the Attorney General or some other regulatory entity?

Oct 10, 2015
Unfortunately it seems to me that you did not pack the glassware properly. The box has to be strong enough to support the weight of other boxes and objects stacked on top without deforming enough to allow the contents to get crushed. Also, padding depending on kind has a limit on how much it can be compressed before it stops providing cushioning. Thus the requirement of a few full inches of extra space on all sides of fragile objects inside the box.

For fragile objects the purpose of padding is to keep the items more or less centered in the box and not touching each other if more than one. The object is not supposed to accept any pressure from outside the box. Some kinds of fragile objects require a frame (sometimes the box and styrofoam the object came in) to prevent jostling damage to protruding trim or even handles, and that entire frame packed in a box with extra inches of space on all sides.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018
They sold me full coverage insurance and disclosed terms of the insurance after the move when a claim was filed. I can't find where I signed any type of acknowledgement of insurance specifics, so I had no way to mitigate damages before they happened.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They sold me full coverage insurance and disclosed terms of the insurance after the move when a claim was filed. I can't find where I signed any type of acknowledgement of insurance specifics, so I had no way to mitigate damages before they happened.
If they still have not provided any proof of you paperwork saying they had to pack the items- you should file a complaint with your Consumer Affairs Department, the State Attorney General and your state insurance commissioner. Have you done that yet?

May 11, 2018
Not yet. I'm trying to follow Elliott's rules and find upper tier contacts but they are a privately held company. No luck so far on higher up the chain than my sales rep and the claims adjuster.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Since you have been unable to get in touch with a higher up at Beltmann I would suggest contacting their parent company, North American Van Lines.

Our company contacts are located here. If you would like to post your email prior to sending we can definitely take a look and see if there is anything that might need to be added or subtracted.