Bank fraud help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 13, 2019
Been with USAA for 40 years and have always found them proactive when it comes to scam charges on my cards. When I call I always get an email confirmation of conversations. And I have alerts on my cards when I am traveling or when my card is not present when used. When I had a fraudulent use of my ATM card it was cancelled within 5 minutes. This sounds just a bit off for USAA. Every company does make occasional mistakes, but the OP's description sounds a bit off to me---as if some important details are missing.

Jan 11, 2019
Unfortunately you should have followed up sooner with USAA to find out if the fraud report had been taken care of instead of waiting an entire month. Did you still use the account after you reported the fraud? I guess I'm confused about the timeline. No way would I leave my bank account fraud problem that long without speaking to someone to make sure it has been solved. Did you empty the account once you discovered the fraud? Why deposit more money into an account that someone else obviously has access to? Ugh, I monitor my bank account daily. I am at a loss here.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
I had USAA for my checking account last year and reported a debit card lost/stolen in June 2019 via the phone system. In late July 2019, prior to leaving for Montreal, I noticed that I still had no received a new debit card. During this time, I was overseas and was home for a short time prior to leaving for Montreal. I called USAA again and was told that a new debit card wasn't ordered and the old wasn't closed down. This time they closed the old debit card & opened a new one. I also instituted a fraud claim; however, I learned several days later that the fraud case wasn't opened. Originally, USAA gave me the money back as provisional credit which they are required todo under Reg E. After several days, they took the provisional credit back and stated fraud didn't happen. Phone conversations took place with the fraud rep and I instated that I didn't make any of the charges and wanted my money back. I offered to obtain a police report and they said they don't accept them. When I asked why they were denying my claim, they said that "account was being monitored" and a deposit was made. I explained that I was out of country and my brother (whom has since passed away) made a deposit in the account for me. In September 2019, USAA closed the account and charged off the balance owed. I still disputed this whole thing with them, and tried to get them to reverse their decision. I've filed 2 complaints with the CFPB over USAA and how I didn't make those charges. A few weeks ago, I was notified that USAA sent my account to collections agency for payment. I'm looking for some assistance here. I've out $1100 bucks, if not more due to fees being charged from USSA. I was going to reach out those the contacts for USAA listed on this site, but wasn't sure if I should at this point. All I do is want my money back and the account removed from collections.
Can you put the timeline in a bullet form or timeline that makes it clearer because it's very fuzzy? If I'm understanding it, AFTER the card was skimmed/used fraudulently, it seems like *maybe* your brother used your legitimate card to make a deposit and THAT is the criteria that USAA is using to deny your claim? Because it appears the card was used for legitimate purposes after you claim it was used fraudulently? Do I understand that clearly? Or did he make the deposit in person? In which case, I have no idea why that would impact the fraudulent debit card use at all... The timeline and reasoning is all a jumble to me and as a military family we've used USAA and have always found them to be awesome. So if you could outline the facts in a more linear fashion that would help, I think...

Jun 27, 2017
This is a very timely forum for us. My husband has been with USAA for 53 years. On Aug. 22, his USAA credit card was declined at a local restaurant. At the same time, we received a text notification re: possible fraudulent activity due to a Netflix charge for $15.99. He immediately called USAA at the restaurant to let them know the Netflix charge was fraudulent. He was advised to immediately destroy his card as it was deactivated and a new card would be mailed to him.

We come home, go online and check our USAA account. There are now 6 additional Netflix charges. We call again. The rep says he will pull all the charges and advises us my card on this account (with a different #) is OK and that only a new card will be issued for my husband.

Fast forward to Aug. 24. We go online and the Netflix charge is STILL present, only now it has my CC # and there are 2 additional charges on my husband's deactivated card. So, we call again and officially dispute ALL Netflix charges online. And that's when I discover all disputes, including charges we did not make, must be in writing. So, thank you Elliott Advocates for having the USAA contacts on this website. Our letter-writing campaign to dispute these fraudulent charges begins first thing in the morning!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a very timely forum for us. My husband has been with USAA for 53 years. On Aug. 22, his USAA credit card was declined at a local restaurant. At the same time, we received a text notification re: possible fraudulent activity due to a Netflix charge for $15.99. He immediately called USAA at the restaurant to let them know the Netflix charge was fraudulent. He was advised to immediately destroy his card as it was deactivated and a new card would be mailed to him.

We come home, go online and check our USAA account. There are now 6 additional Netflix charges. We call again. The rep says he will pull all the charges and advises us my card on this account (with a different #) is OK and that only a new card will be issued for my husband.

Fast forward to Aug. 24. We go online and the Netflix charge is STILL present, only now it has my CC # and there are 2 additional charges on my husband's deactivatedccard. So, we call again and officially dispute ALL Netflix charges online. And that's when I discover all disputes, including charges we did not make, must be in writing. So, thank you Elliott Advocates for having the USAA contacts on this website. Our letter-writing campaign to dispute these fraudulent charges begins first thing in the morning!
This seems "horribly incredible", Sierra. My original reaction appears to be correct ... this CC issuer needs some serious re-training in helping customers. It boggles the mind that someone would "use" your cards to ... rent movies??? If this happened to me, I would chase these people all the way up the beanstalk to get them to make the situation right. And then I'd get a new CC issuer!

Reactions: Pixie Pie
Aug 19, 2019
USAA never asked me to notify them in writing. I found the letter that I was sent and it says the dispute was denied based on the following:

1. No pin changes
2. No pin fails
3. Account being monitored during time of fraud
4. Multiple deposits and funds transfers in the account during time of fraud
5. Conflicting time line of events

As I told USAA, I'm very confident that the there was a skimming device that was used and that USAA was attached to my gmail account which was comprised and it took some time to figure that out as its not an account that is actively used. What are my options here? I didn't make these charges and want my money back.

Did you ever notify USAA via writing?

Why did they state fraud never happened?

My debit card was cloned from a skimming device --and camera was the thought on how the PIN was recorded -- and likely from a proper ATM. My bank noticed it before I did - I was traveling out of the country so this was a significant inconvenience. But they sent me documentation to fill out and a new card.

Where these online purchases or what kind of charges? Why did USAA claim that there was no fraud?

Sep 19, 2015
Did you actually lose the physical card?

What were the multiple deposits and transfers?

When my card was cloned it was easy for the bank to see that I tried using my card in one country and the scanner used it in another (was traveling at the time).

Reactions: Neil Maley
Aug 19, 2019
Yes, I lost my actual card which was reported to USAA in late may/ early June 2018 prior to me leaving the US for travel. I When I returned home towards the end of July 2018, noticed my card still hadn't arrived. I had a relative getting my mail and they informed that there was nothing from USAA. I called USAA when I got home and learnt that the fraud investigation was never opened and the card wasn't blocked.

Per the statements, the deposits/transfers were my regular paycheck and someone trying to transfer funds between USAA and an external account that was connected.

Should I still try and reach out to the contacts listed on the website? At this point, I want my money back. Not sure why USAA declined my case and blew me off when I stated I would obtain a police report. Was never advised that they needed anything from me in writing either.

Did you actually lose the physical card?
What were the multiple deposits and transfers?

When my card was cloned it was easy for the bank to see that I tried using my card in one country and the scanner used it in another (was traveling at the time).

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yes, I lost my actual card which was reported to USAA in late may/ early June 2018 prior to me leaving the US for travel. I When I returned home towards the end of July 2018, noticed my card still hadn't arrived. I had a relative getting my mail and they informed that there was nothing from USAA. I called USAA when I got home and learnt that the fraud investigation was never opened and the card wasn't blocked.

Per the statements, the deposits/transfers were my regular paycheck and someone trying to transfer funds between USAA and an external account that was connected.

Should I still try and reach out to the contacts listed on the website? At this point, I want my money back. Not sure why USAA declined my case and blew me off when I stated I would obtain a police report. Was never advised that they needed anything from me in writing either.
You were given the USAA contact information over a month ago. If you have not yet done so, you should contact USAA using those contacts.

Reactions: Neil Maley