1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Avis rented a recalled vehicle, then....

Discussion in 'Avis/Budget' started by Graphixbaby78, May 16, 2017.

1. Graphixbaby78

Prepare to read a book.....there is alot to explain in order to completely understand what happened. I rented a vehicle from Avis on 2/13/2017 that left me sit twice without explanation or warning, inconsistent e-brake when applying to vehicle, and continuous Tpms error light. The vehicle also had a crooked bumper and appeared to have been put on wrong or realigned as a result of an incident. The bumper was noted on damage pre-inspection paper prior to renting, but I assumed that Avis was complying with all safety laws prior to driving the vehicle. I rented from them prior to this, and spent approximately $1400 as a customer. After the 2016 Honda Civic left me sit twice, and the e-brake complication, tpms light continuously coming on ,and appearance of rear bumper, I began to wonder just how safe the vehicle really was. Why would a vehicle this new have all the issues that it did? To be honest, the pre-inspection damage report looks like it was a crash test vehicle. I know that is probably not the case, and cosmetic damage doesn't always mean there is mechanical issues, but all the issues combined with that certainly leaves some questions regarding safety. Then I found out there was a safety recall for the e-brake, which was issued on 10/06/2016. I even questioned Avis about the e-brake prior to knowing about recall because it wasn't consistent and sometimes displayed an error when applying (I have pics of the error lit up on dash) but I never drove a vehicle with an electric e-brake before, and they told me it was normal. At one point, the piece that you pull upward to apply the e-brake came loose from numerous attempts at applying. So they lied to me apparently. I also didn't know prior to this that it was illegal to rent a vehicle with open safety recall, so that made me even more skeptical of just how safe it really was. If they violated a federal law, what else was really going on? When I had to call Avis roadside assistance the first time it let me sit, it ended up being a dead battery. The 2nd time it left me sit, which was the next day, i assumed it was the same reason, but called my brother this time instead of roadside assistance because I wasn't paying for their service again. After leaving me sit the 1st time, the dashboard lit up with errors, (some went away after starting to drive, a few stayed on). I have pics of the dash showing the ones that stayed on. Then after the 2nd time is when I found out about the recall upon researching why a vehicle this new had issues like this. I decided enough was enough, sent roadside assistance email telling them I refused to drive the vehicle at this point, after it left me sit twice and discovering the open safety recall, and it would be parked in front of my residence, which is the address Avis had on the agreement. I wasn't going to risk myself or my son's safety, possibly our lives, over Avis's negligence. The vehicle sat well over a month, and then an Agent Andreu, claiming to be ARI LLC,contracted by Avis started calling and texting myself and family members "to locate the vehicle". It was sitting at the address Avis had on the agreement, also the address on my license, waiting to be picked up by them the entire time. Agent Andreu had no reason to harass family, and I would have thought my residence would be the first place they would look. He was even told by family where the vehicle was when they were contacted, but he continued "trying to locate the vehicle" through calls and texts. Finally, 4/7/2017, I called local police because of the unnecessary harassment over a vehicle that was right where they should've looked and were told it was sitting the entire time, to ask them how to get Avis to just pick up their vehicle, because I refused to drive it back. The police recommended I send Avis a certified letter telling them they have a reasonable amount of time (72 hours) to pick up the vehicle or I would have it towed and file suit to be compensated for towing expense. Before I had the okay from my attorney regarding the contents of letter, in the event I would have to file suit to be compensated, the vehicle disappeared from my residence on 4/9/2017. It was seen by a family member at 9:30 am that day in front of my residence, but was gone by 1130 am that same day. So it was somewhere during those 2 hours it disappeared, but nobody came to the door to get key. I assumed Avis had it picked up at this point. Then later that day, between 4-6 pm, a man claiming to be Albright towing shows up at my door to pick up the Avis vehicle. I told him it was gone by 1130 am, and I assumed it was towed, but didn't see who or how they got it. He blocked my personal vehicle in the driveway with his SUV, and insisted that my vehicle was the one he was to recover for Avis. I repeatedly told him that vehicle was mine, not the Avis car, and I didn't know who or how the Avis car was picked up, but i didn't have it or know where it was. I remembered that I had the key to Avis car, and gave it to him to prove that my car wasn't Avis's car. He went over to my vehicle again for a few minutes, then left. My aunt and grandmother were witnesses to this whole thing. Now, this man was alone when he came to my house, and was insisting my vehicle was the one he was to get, but it didn't match the Avis vehicle description. He came in an SUV alone, and I don't know how he was going to drive 2 vehicles, his own and Avis's car, in the 1st place, but I wasn't sure if he could somehow disable my car. The way he acted, I wasn't sure what he was going to do, or why he didn't have a more accurate description of the car he claimed to be picking up. The Avis Car was a 2016 Gray metallic Honda Civic, 4 doors, NJ license plate, had the Avis MVA sticker on front windshield. My car is 2015 blue metallic Honda Civic, 2 door, temp MD license plate, because I recently purchased it and hadn't yet received PA license plate. So don't they have to match a vin or check mva number to make sure they are getting right car? Or even more accurate physical description? It just seemed like something wasn't right about the situation. And they sent a tow company to recover the car, but no tow truck, and a man who apparently is capable of driving 2 vehicles at a time the same day it happened to disappear after over a month it sat there? I live in a residential neighborhood where I don't think a car has ever been stolen, so wasn't sure what to think at this point, other than maybe lack of communication from Avis that they got the car. Then the harassing calls and texts continued from the same agent andreu that was harassing prior to this. He claimed he was looking for the Avis vehicle, and Avis had no record of recovering it, so it was now apparently really missing. I told him I did not know where the car was, or who took it, but I gave the key to the guy from Albright towing. He called and texted family, and even called my house 3 times in a row Easter Sunday, so I finally answered. He was ignorant and kept asking why I didn't return the vehicle, and I repeatedly told him it was under recall, left me sit twice, and I didn't feel comfortable driving it at this point, but the car was in the open at the address on the agreement waiting to be picked up for over a month. He kept asking why I handled it the way I did, and repeatedly accused me of making things up when I would mention the recall, also accused my mother of false statement when she brought up the recall in her conversation with him. His questioning wasn't even really about where the missing car was, but how I handled it. Why did Avis handle this the way they did, and they should be the ones asked where the vehicle is, because according to the Safe Rental Car Act, it shouldn't have left their lot, right? The Easter Sunday conversation bothered me, so I finally called local police to document the harassment, and the officer told me to call back if it continued. I don't know if they contacted this agent andreu or not, but it got quiet for a little bit after that. Then, someone named agent jones started calling/texting myself and family about the car. I told him I didn't know where the car was, and didn't even have a key. There was no motive for me to take their car, I had my own. I just wanted Avis to pick it up because I did not feel comfortable driving it any further, and that would have been the end of it. Then agent jones started threatening me and family with an arrest warrant for me, also an encounter with police if I didn't get the situation cleared up. What? I didn't even have a damn key, and they were told by me and family repeatedly everything we knew. And let me just say, one of these "Agents" contacted my ex and his brother about me regarding "the missing vehicle". My ex and I are in an ongoing custody battle, so that made me furious! I'm sure he is going to run with that in court, and I will have some explaining to do thanks to these jerks. So a few days later, the police call about the car. I told them everything I knew, gave them any papers I had, answered their questions. The officer asked if I knew the man personally that rented me the vehicle from Avis, and I told him no, never saw him before in my life outside of Avis. I asked why he wanted to know if I knew this guy, and the officer told me that this guy was no longer working for Avis. Still didn't make sense to me why I was asked if I knew him, but wasn't going to question the officer. Never heard anything further from the police about the car. The vehicle never came up in stolen vehicle database on NICB website with the vin or license plate when I checked it a few times. Was it even officially reported stolen or missing, because it seemed strange the police didn't contact me after that, and really didn't treat the situation like they believed I was even a suspect. And if a vehicle is really missing, I would think they would want it in the theft database for a better chance to recover it. Wouldn't any insurance company require certain measures be taken before a claim is filed for a loss, right? The officer did ask me if the towing company that came to the house had a tow truck, I told him no, because he didn't. The officer also told me that Avis claimed they sent a certified letter to me about returning the car, but it was returned, undelivered. The Post Office leaves a notice when a delivery attempt was unsuccessful, and I never got a notice. I don't know why that would've happened because someone is always home at my house with my grandmother who can't be alone. Did they really even send it in the first place? Because whether they sent it or not is significant, but won't get into that here. I kept checking the vin for the car to see if it was officially reported stolen after I was contacted by police, because I was stressed and lost sleep over it. I didn't know what was going on, but I knew something about all of this wasn't right. I wanted to find that car more than anyone at this point, and prove I didn't have it or know where it was. I even left town, stayed in a hotel because something didn't make sense, and I didn't want to be blamed if the vehicle showed back up at my house, or even somewhere close to my house one day. I was in Philadelphia, PA, 2 hours away from my home for almost a week after police questioned me, and made sure I had proof of that, but then even worried if it would be found near there. Then on May 8, 2017, I got a survey email from Avis like I got previously after closing out past rentals, so I looked up the rental agreement number to locate the receipt, and the car had apparently been returned to Hanover, MD BWI Avis location on May 5, 2017. I was more than relieved to see this, but wanted to know what had happened. So I called the officer and asked him about this, but he knew nothing about the vehicle being located or returned, and he asked me to email the Avis receipt to him, so I did. Of course, I was anxious to know what happened, so I called Avis loss prevention number, because that's what their customer service told me to do. I asked how the vehicle got returned to MD, or who returned it. The lady told me Avis roadside assistance had to pick it up because it needed a jump start after it was impounded in the area. What? If it was impounded, shouldn't there be a police report? And if the vehicle was reported stolen wouldn't the officer have known it was recovered? So far there is nothing to support the impound claim either. Also, I found 2 other customer's rental agreements wrapped in my papers from Avis, which had personal info on them. I was recently a victim of identity theft, my police report 73 pages long, and this is how careless they are with personal information? Makes me sick! Not to mention they contracted a company that obtained info on my family, and even exes of family to harass them for no good reason? This is so unbelievably ridiculous that it wouldn't be believable without the evidence to support it. But I have evidence, call logs, texts, witnesses, pics, proof of recall and having to call Avis, roadside assistance, etc. The Avis receipt total says $6788, and I am wondering if I will be harassed with collection calls next, because they can't bill my credit card for that amount. Are they really serious? And they sent me a letter informing me I was put on do not rent list, for what? Why? Avis failed to have reasonable policies/procedures in place for a situation like this, and didn't know how to deal with it. I never even suggested to them that I would pursue legal action. I just wasn't driving an unsafe vehicle that already left me sit twice without warning due to a dead battery, and an open safety recall for the e-brake. And this is how Avis treated me and my family, then making it appear their vehicle was missing, and all to suppress their own negligence. They put me through hell, and my family and I were harassed, threatened and treated like criminals holding a vehicle hostage. What are these people doing? Is this really something they can get away with? They should not get away with what they did, and over the fact that I refused to drive a vehicle that they should have never rented to begin with. I want to file complaints, and I really don't know where to start, but I get pissed every time I think about it. They broke the law, and I would have left it at that, had they picked up their car, and maybe apologized, but didn't expect that much. It was when Avis sent their mob to hunt down and harass family and exes over a car they should have never rented to begin with. None of this should've , or would've happened if they complied with the law, that they claimed to support. They never once admitted they were wrong, or bothered to apologize, but instead, they did the opposite. I had numerous family members, my ex and his brother, my brother's ex asking me why they were calling them about a car, and how did they get their numbers. Then neighbors watch some lunatic block my car in the driveway and act like he was there to take my car. And Avis's car vanishes under suspicious circumstances, and they were given the key, but wondered if, when, how they would find it, and if they didn't, was I going to be blamed. I don't think it's unreasonable to be pissed at this point. Is it? I did send an email describing my complaint to Avis customer service and most of the Avis Budget Executive Team on May 10, 2017, including Mr. Wyshner, who apparently has resigned. I don't think they really know how to resolve this, and I am trying to give them a chance before taking it to court. I can't just ignore what happened, so I need some advice. I have evidence, pics, texts and call logs (to myself and family members), police reports documenting calls I made, and the police report for "missing vehicle investigation" (different jurisdiction for the Avis rental location than the police dept that covers the area for my residence). There's a lot more to this whole story, but I can't possibly get into every detail.
    Now, the certified letter that so far has no truth to it is important. Why? Because with a prior rental, I had to shut down a credit card (recovering from identity theft), and it happened to be the credit card Avis had on file. I extended the rental on the phone, but I guess it didn't get processed in their system because of the credit card issue. Just 3 days later (after the car was originally due to return), I got a certified letter about returning the car, but cleared this up after taking in a different credit card. Now, with this car, I never received a single certified letter (it sat for over a month), because Avis knew they screwed up. They knew I refused to drive the vehicle, but tried to act like they knew nothing about it, and that's exactly what they tried to claim. I also wonder when the employee that rented the vehicle was no longer an employee. They were attempting to avoid a paper trail, and hoping I would give in eventually, and drive their unsafe car, that they were prohibited from even renting. The officer gave me a copy of the certified letter Avis claimed they sent but got returned (no proof of receipt to support it though), which had the vin listed on it. They didn't want me to have any proof that the specific vehicle was rented to me, but figured they could scare me into thinking I would possibly be charged with auto theft and forget about anything else. I think they were trying to keep this from executive level finding out, and if they sent me a letter demanding vehicle return, I would complain and then the bosses would be made aware of what really happened. That is ultimately why I emailed the executive team, I wanted to make sure they were aware of this situation, because they need to be. To think that I was harassed repeatedly, also family, and they knew where this car was the whole time makes me furious! Angry! Pissed! Then even threatened with an arrest warrant if I didn't clear it up! There are no words to describe it. Talk about corruption.....and I really thought Avis was honest, for the most part, before this happened.
    I don't want to drag this into court, but believe me, I will if that's what it takes. I'm so tired of lawsuits, because that's the only way to clear up a serious case of identity theft, but this should not happen to anyone. To think what they were willing to do, all to make their own wrong and negligence disappear, that is just disgraceful. Then the charges on the receipt are ridiculously over inflated, $6788, for a car I barely drove, but left me sit when I did. Really? I'm sorry this has so much anger included, but this has me ready to spit fire! How in the hell do these people sleep at night? They can fire employees, or resign, but they need to apologize or make right for treating a customer and my family the way they did. What would you do? I try to forget about it, but it bothers me that any business could do this, to a paying customer.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. Kahhss

Sorry, but without paragraphs there's no way I can make sense of that. Please trim it down and make it easier for us to understand your request.

Warren, jsn55 and ADM like this.
  3. Christina H

Hi I am sorry but I could not follow the story ...perhaps a chronological outline with dates and bullet points?

What I understand is that you rented a 2016 Honda from Avis and it had problems ---

First an issue with the TPMS the electronic system that monitors the tire pressure? That malfunctioned?

And then the issue of the e brake -- i.e. Electronic parking brake -- did that give you a problem? The recall involved difficulties in setting the e-brake after turning the car off. The recalll involved a software update that allegedly fixed the problem. Do you know if the car you rented had the software update?

And the car stranded you?

And are you being billed for damage to the car?

Car rental issues are so aggravating and I am sorry that you have experienced it.

4. Graphixbaby78

Yes, I will do a chronological outline, I know it is a little confusing. There is so much detail, and I was trying to remember as I typed. I will post it here, probably take about an hour.
    And to answer the e-brake question, no it did not have update applied. The recall was incomplete, still is today. I verified this on safer car.gov, also talked to Honda. At one point, I didn't know if it had failed completely, after several attempts, and got error on dash several times. Twice after starting the car, I got a brake system warning, but don't know if they are related.
    What I think happened, the vehicle was waiting for recall to be repaired/applied, along with maintenance and other repairs. Maybe they were going to just do it all at once, mechanical and body.
    Yes, the car left me sit twice, just wouldn't start. The 2nd time, there was no sign of any power at all, not even error lights, but it would sound an alarm every few minutes both times. The key wouldn't even release the trunk the 2nd time, and I assume because the vehicle was unable to receive the signal from key.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  5. VoR61

Advocate

You said:

"I did send an email describing my complaint to Avis customer service and most of the Avis Budget Executive Team on May 10, 2017 ..."​

and ..

"I don't want to drag this into court, but believe me, I will if that's what it takes."
    "I can't just ignore what happened, so I need some advice."​

Any advice we could have given would have included emails to customer service and/or executives, which you have already done. All you can do at this point is wait for their response, which could take a month or more.

I'm sorry, but their is nothing further for us to advise ...

6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Honestly, if this is what you sent to the executives, they might still be trying to read it.

First of all you should have brought the car back right away as soon in as you noticed the problem instead of continuing to drive it. You could have gone to the nearest Avis to report it. That is going to be the first thing they question.

But you letter is way too long, there are no paragraphs to break it up and you can summarize this in about 8 bullet points stating facts only. And take our rhe threat to sue because that might be your undoing. Once you threaten legal action, your letter gets sent to the legal dept. and they may not answer because whatever they say ms be used against them.

Sum it him

- My rental # blah blah was picked up
    Blah blah blAh . At time of pick up the following damage was noted (add whatever it was)

- on xx/xx and cx/cc the car stalled and I called roadside assistance. The dashboard lit up (picture attached).

- in researching I discovered there is a recall for the brakes.

Continue in that way.

Did you send it to the first executive or did you go up the chain weekly as we recommend? If you started at the top you are stuck because no one under him or her can go against the CEO.

7. technomage1

Staff Member Forum Director

If the recall was in effect at the time of the rental, then Avis was indeed breaking the law by renting it to you. The rest of this sounds like a lack of communication. You emailed roadside assistance when the problem occurred a second time, explaining that the problem meant you didn't feel it was safe or comfortable to drive the car back to the rental location. Okay, fair enough on not wanting to drive it, however, you should've contacted Avis directly and not the roadside assistance, which is probably a subcontractor. I think if you'd contacted the location directly at that point this whole mess could've easily been avoided.

The car sat in front of your house for a month and you, by your own admission, didn't follow up with Avis on the subject. This made it worse too. Heck, after 2 days I'd have been calling them or visiting them wanting to know when the car was going to be picked up.

At this point, with you emailing all the executives and with what happened - you're probably going to need a lawyer to sort this out, especially now that you've threatened to take them to court anyway. Yes, Avis messed up multiple times and bears the brunt of what happened here, but you messed up too, and it's going to take some sorting to resolve this.

8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Wish I could like this 10 times.

John Galbraith, ADM and George M like this.
  9. ADM

ADM

You said you contacted your brother the second time you had an issue because you didn't want to pay for roadside assistance again. Shouldn't that have been included in the rental, especially since it turned out to be a dead battery? Did they charge you for that service immediately? How much were you charged? I understand your frustration but that might not have been a wise decision. They could claim your brother is responsible for damage to the vehicle. It could be akin to voiding a warranty because you didn't use one of their authorized repair services. I'm not saying this would be a legitimate comparison but look at what you've experienced with Avis thus far.

I hope you can get this straightened out.

Neil likes this.
  10. Christina H

I do have to agree with Technomage1 that there certainly was a problem with communication problem once the OP realized that there was an open recall of the rented car. And with Neil on the importance of returning a car when a problem is noticed.

I would also suspect that the roadside assistance is a subcontractor, just like when I call AAA for help, they have subcontractors.

If one has a problem with a rental car one should call the rental office and email them so to have something in writing.

Last edited: May 17, 2017