Avis is charging me thousands with no explanation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 3, 2017
Well, Chase ended up declining my dispute. Looks like I'm at the mercy of Avis issuing a refund out of the goodness of their own hearts, because going to small claims is probably more trouble than it's worth :/

I've requested that they review my situation and issue a more reasonable fee.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you taken the advice in this post and gone all the way up the executive chain at Avis?

We don't click on links to read stories - you would need to post a short version with facts only here as that is the type of letter you'll need to write, but here is our standard response for these things - follow the directions here:
http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Feb 9, 2016
Well, Chase ended up declining my dispute. Looks like I'm at the mercy of Avis issuing a refund out of the goodness of their own hearts, because going to small claims is probably more trouble than it's worth :/

I've requested that they review my situation and issue a more reasonable fee.
What reason did Chase give for declining your dispute?

Oct 3, 2017
What reason did Chase give for declining your dispute?
They said it was a "non-refundable fee"

As for what I'm doing next, I've reached back out to Avis since my dispute is essentially over with Chase and I'm escalating up the chain at Avis. If no one responds by early next week I'll try the CEO, as he's the last one left on the list. At this point, I have to pay the bill on my Visa card, so I'm just hoping to get some of the extra fees waived.

Feb 9, 2016
They said it was a "non-refundable fee"

As for what I'm doing next, I've reached back out to Avis since my dispute is essentially over with Chase and I'm escalating up the chain at Avis. If no one responds by early next week I'll try the CEO, as he's the last one left on the list. At this point, I have to pay the bill on my Visa card, so I'm just hoping to get some of the extra fees waived.
Chase said that damage that you did not cause but were being charged for is a non-refundable fee?

Oct 3, 2017
Chase said that damage that you did not cause but were being charged for is a non-refundable fee?
Yes. I think Chase is just doing a poor job of representing me in this dispute. I could probably push back on it with them, but as I discussed earlier in this thread, at this point I want to try and work something out with Avis as having this go to collections risks my credit, and I'm not in a position to be able to take that risk...

Oct 3, 2017
Ok guys, I think the saga is over. At least, I'm done fighting it, and wanted to share the results for anyone who may read this in the future.

After my credit card dispute was cancelled, I reached back out to Avis. I mentioned that I had canceled my dispute, and gave them a story about how charging me those additional fees seemed punitive when nothing I did really caused the issue, and it was really just an unfortunate set of circumstances (eg. flat tire in Venice means I can't drive back to Milan, so why tack on an 80 Euro fee??).

The replied back and said they were refunded a good chunk of the remaining fees in good faith. At this point, I'm still being charged about about ~$300 over my rental amount of ~$600, and I'm willing to accept that and move on with this, and is a far cry from the original ~$2000 they original posted to my credit card (and the additional ~$1300 they had filed as a temporary transaction).

So I guess, the lesson is, even if your credit card declines the dispute because it's a "non-refundable fee", there is actually some hope if you reach out up the Avis corporate ladder in an effort not to risk having anything go to collections. Obviously, there are other routes to take, but in this case, reaching back out to Avis wasn't entirely fruitless.

Sep 19, 2015
Honestly Sandrob57 I think you made a wise choice. Yes you are paying 300 more but --- you will have peace of mind and be done with this-- and your credit score will not suffer.

Travel can often bring unexpected costs and one has to have a reserve to cover them.

You could spend weeks fighting but your time is worth something. 300 vs 1300 seems like a not horrible resolution.