Avis insurance over charge

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 3, 2018
We recently rented a car for my parents to come see us for the holiday. We booked it through priceline and paid for it. When my parents picked it up they asked for a credit card and asked if they wanted to buy additional insurance. My dad agreed to the cheapest insurance plan even though he was covered through his insurance and the insurance with the credit card because she made it sound like he had to to get the car. The rental was for 13 days and the daily rate for the cheapest plan was 15.75 for a total of 204.75. When he returned the vehicle the bill was almost $800 which works out to be over $60 a day! When he refuted the charge they said they had hiss signature on the contract, which they did. He was told he was signing the $15 a day contact. Yes he should have read the whole thing before but when he scanned it, it seemed right and everyone was in a hurry.

Nov 27, 2017
That actually sounds like a lot. I have a few questions. From what I understand, the rental was $15.75 + $15 daily insurance = $30.75 / day + tax. How did you get to the $60 /day? Did you book the rental under your name or your parents? If you booked it under your name, then the rental company may have charged a additional driver fee, and he would have been convinced to take the insurance because he was not the primary driver on the contract. Could that have been the case?

Jan 3, 2018
The $15 was in reference to the $15.75 so it isn't additional. It was booked under his name. It was all charged as insurance for their top plan. The whole car rental was paid in advance through priceline. The amount charged was 782.28 which works out to be about $60 a day. That is what was charged to us. This is the price of all insurance options. Rather than chraging the $15.75 a day that my father agreed to they charged a total of 782.28.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a real shame. So often the idea of a lovely "gift" blows up big time and that's what happened here. Your intentions were good, but using a 'cheap' booking source usually ends up with the rental car company trying to claw some profit out of the deal. They count on one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Since nobody really understands all the details, insurance is a good way for them to do this.

Your father needs to make a bullet-point list of the facts, in chronological order. Since he signed for the most expensive package, this will be an uphill battle, but it's worth pursuing.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I've seen how Avis tries to sell insurance to people that don't really want or need it. However there are a lot of mandatory fees added to rentals which you can't avoid. It is possible that in your case the $30 per day could mostly be attributed to those fees?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I've seen how Avis tries to sell insurance to people that don't really want or need it. However there are a lot of mandatory fees added to rentals which you can't avoid. It is possible that in your case the $30 per day could mostly be attributed to those fees?
This was a fully prepaid rental so those Taxes & Facilities fees should have been already paid.