1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

AT&T deleted my voicemails

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by BAG, Sep 4, 2015.

1. BAG

BAG

I went to AT&T to get a new phone. After picking out a new one and asking for a data transfer, 4 hours later the sales person after repeatedly asking me to come back tells me that the phone that I chose has a smaller memory capacity than the one that I currently have. I was upset that my time was wasted and he should have known that so I just asked for my old phone back. I came home to find that my voicemails had been deleted without my authorization. The company is offering me a one month credit but I think that is more insulting than the invasion of privacy and the fact that no one cares (along with the fact that their sales people do not know what they are doing). It's been a month of back and forth and AT&T acts like they have me hostage with their take it or leave it attitude given the magnitude of the harm. Can anyone please suggest anything? I have written repeatedly to the executives and they just hand off my letters to the same guy.

2. Tanya

BAG - what do you want? Have you been specific, as in, you don't think the one month credit is acceptable, but you would be happy with a 2 month credit. The big companies customer service reps need to be told what they need to do to make you happy. Otherwise, their guess is as good as anyone's and they will offer the lowest.

With that being said, write again, stating exactly what you want as compensation for their screw up.

Where was the invasion of privacy, did they listen to your voice mails? I know when transferring my data to a new phone a few months ago, the rep asked me, are you ok with the text messages being deleted, and the few voice mails, but they did not have to read/listen to them to delete them, it was an automatic process once I approved.

jsn55 likes this.
  3. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

I had no idea voice mails could be saved to the phone. Voice mails are usually on the network and you can listen to them simply by dialing up your voice mail box. I've never lost a single one despite going through half a dozen phones since some of the voice mails were generated. I still have one from when my kids were much younger calling me on the phone and screaming 'happy fathers day'.

jsn55 likes this.
  4. BAG

BAG

Yes, I have been specific. I said that one month is unacceptable and that 6 months would be acceptable which amounts to $348.00. They keep offering one month. I have written 6 letters and had several email exchanges with a rep from the Office of the President. They are insisting that all they can offer is one month. Very frustrating. I do not know if the voicemails were listened to. The sales person just started yelling that he was losing sales and it never got to that point. His manager called me and refused to acknowledge that his salesperson had messed up and kept saying that voicemails are not forever. Therefore, it was a hamster wheel of frustration getting nowhere (which I suspect is what they want). The Office of the President asked me what I wanted and when I told them both verbally and in writing they said that they can only offer a one month credit which seems extremely disproportionate to the magnitude of the harm. They also told me to "get over it and accept that the voicemails are gone".

5. BAG

BAG

Oh and every time I send another letter, I receive the same cut and paste email from the same person from the Office of the President Intake Team saying that he is the point person assigned to handle the case. I have never seen an endless stream of inefficiency in my life. And I am certain that it is done to frustrate the individual. Ineptitude and inefficiency seems to run rampant with AT&T. They ask me what I want. I tell them my voicemails back. They tell me that is NOT happening with no apology whatsoever and then I tell them 6 months of credits and they tell me that they will only offer one month which as I previously mentioned disproportionate to the harm. Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

6. AAGK

I have ATT on my iPhone and every time I swap or get a new phone I am explicitly told to make sure my data is backed up and voicemail may or may not transfer. This is prominently displayed in many places. It is also common sense, when someone works on your phone or computer things can go wrong and they would never assume that kind of liability. I am in total shock and very impressed that you got one of your bill paid. That is beyond generous.
    Also, my partner works for a large company in this industry. They flag your account when you make unreasonable demands or even are rude at the stores. ATT was generous and be mindful of this practice, in case you need their help in the future.

7. BAG

BAG

No one told me any such thing (I have witnesses) Nor are there any signs posted (I have gone back to the store many times). Furthermore, everyone that I spoke with from the customer support line acknowledge that the sales rep should have known that the data transfer would not have been possible. I do not think that I am being unreasonable at all. Nor have I been rude one single second... All of your assumptions are incorrect. Nor did I say that one of my bills got paid.

8. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

6 Months of credit on a phone bill for losing voice mails is far beyond reasonable request. Maybe if you were a senator member of the house. One month is good, two would be great. Also, if you have already complained to the president of the company, there really isn't much more that we can suggest. You've already gone to the top.

It appears that you are letting the confrontation with the store clerk cloud your judgement of what is reasonable when data gets lost. It is on you as the owner of data to make sure said data is backed up and secure. In your first post you mention magnitude of the harm. How exactly were you harmed? You mention your privacy being invaded, but your privacy was not invaded, unless that person actually listened to your voice mails or viewed your photos and texts.

AAGK and jsn55 like this.
  9. LaurieB

Are you under a contract or are you month-to-month with ATT?

10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

BAG, I can understand your frustration. The disappearance of your voicemails is not pleasant, but hardly the end of the world. If the ATT people had just sincerely apologized for not asking your permission, admitted that they didn't know what they were doing with the phone you chose, and offered you a nicer phone with 30 days free, you probably would have been OK.

But these people are not trained to take care of customers, they're pushed hard to make sales and as far as I can tell, they couldn't care less about their customer. That culture goes right to the top, and it's nearly any large company these days. This forum sees posts all the time from people who just want an apology for the way they were treated. It's our job to tell them that it will never happen, not pleasant.

We consumers need to accept that often service people know little and we better do our own homework before we purchase anything. And we better have a source of information setting it all up, because the instruction manuals are now written by monkeys. "Go look it up online" they say.

I have a famous story about buying a Hewlett Packard laptop many years ago. No instructions, not even a note that told me I could get the info online. So I banged around and got the thing set up eventually, I couldn't call HP because they would charge me $2 a minute to talk to Tech Support.

A couple of years later I was getting ready for a trip to France. I wanted confirmation that the laptop was dual-voltage. Do you think I could find this info anywhere? Someone at HP said he "thought it was". Great, I'll take my $2K laptop to France and blow it up. My husband told me to call the Sales Department, and I had my answer in 45 seconds.

I've never given HP a cent since, of course, but it did teach me that the old-style customer service is nearly comatose. I advise you to take your free month and move on, it's not worth the angst.