AT&T Backtracking On Promise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 6, 2016
To get to the point with the least amount of rambling here is my current issue with AT&T. I was on a reduce rate plan (frozen account) and it ended. I called again and was able to get on it once more. My SIM card was not in my phone and there was no usage on the line at all.

So instead of paying the $11.95 rate for a frozen account I was billed the full amount of $96.75. There's a few more bits and pieces to the story, but these are the more important parts. I called in about it to get it down to $11.95 and was told it should drop down to that price on September 30th. It did not.

I called on that day and after speaking with numerous reps and being transferred a Customer Retention rep, who had gone back and fourth between me and his manager, told me I would be credited the $85 and some change to bring it down to $11.95 and that it would apply in 1-2 days. It is noted in my account that I should get the credit.

It didn't. Now I'm being told that the credit won't be applied because I shouldn't have been able to get back on the reduced rate plan so soon. They backtracked on a promise that a rep told me. I have been with AT&T for years now and I'm on a monthly plan with them and so far has chosen to stay.

All I want is the credit that I was told I would get. Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 9, 2016
Call back, insist on speaking with a floor supervisor, explain your scenario and ask for the reduced rate again.

If you encounter any trouble, ask to review the recordings of the previous calls so you both can verify what was said.

You need to be nice. Acknowledge that "they" were not the ones who promised you one thing and didn't deliver, and ask them to help you straighten the issues out and/or understand why this has become such an issue.

Moving forward you need to start documenting your calls. Note the number you called and the date and time you dialed it. Ask for the persons name and location and document the interaction. Even if John, a CS rep answers the call on Jan 3, 2016 at 7:45 and simply transfers you, you need to write down "John 7:45 transferred me to floor supervisor Becky" Note the time you hang up.

This way, if you need to call back, you can recap "I spoke to john on this date at this time, he transferred me to Becky, Becky said x,y,z" and you can also recap "I've spent X hours trying to solve this"

I know this isn't a popular sentiment but you need to remain nice. sometimes the reps are new or don't have an aptitude to be a CS rep so they don't know the programs well. People think the reps lie when they might simply not be good at their jobs. Always remember, the poor service, etc you got from the old rep isnt the fault of the new rep. More importantly, you really catch more flies with honey in the CS world.

Questions?
Good luck!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
To get to the point with the least amount of rambling here is my current issue with AT&T. I was on a reduce rate plan (frozen account) and it ended. I called again and was able to get on it once more. My SIM card was not in my phone and there was no usage on the line at all.

So instead of paying the $11.95 rate for a frozen account I was billed the full amount of $96.75. There's a few more bits and pieces to the story, but these are the more important parts. I called in about it to get it down to $11.95 and was told it should drop down to that price on September 30th. It did not.

I called on that day and after speaking with numerous reps and being transferred a Customer Retention rep, who had gone back and fourth between me and his manager, told me I would be credited the $85 and some change to bring it down to $11.95 and that it would apply in 1-2 days. It is noted in my account that I should get the credit.

It didn't. Now I'm being told that the credit won't be applied because I shouldn't have been able to get back on the reduced rate plan so soon. They backtracked on a promise that a rep told me. I have been with AT&T for years now and I'm on a monthly plan with them and so far has chosen to stay.

All I want is the credit that I was told I would get. Any help would be appreciated.
ATT has an online chat feature so if you used it, you would have the promise to keep you on the plan in writing. This should be resolved by a supervisor.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
AT&T is probably the worst company I've ever dealt with. Be prepared for months of communications and frustrations. I am still paying $40 a month for my landline that has so much static sometimes it's unusable. They've 'fixed' it a hundred times. The static and hum always come back. Cell phone service is not reliable in my neighborhood. I cannot access my account online and they won't deal with that either.

I can't stand the never-ending phone trees, recorded information, brainless reps, chats, trying to use the website, so I just don't. They know most people will just give up if they don't fix your problem. Only you know what your time is worth. I hope you are luckier than I have been.

Aug 26, 2016
I was with them 51 1/2 years and finally said , bye bye. Of course they just have the name at&t and are not the at&t many of us started with.

Feb 9, 2016
AT&T is probably the worst company I've ever dealt with. Be prepared for months of communications and frustrations. I am still paying $40 a month for my landline that has so much static sometimes it's unusable. They've 'fixed' it a hundred times. The static and hum always come back. Cell phone service is not reliable in my neighborhood. I cannot access my account online and they won't deal with that either.

I can't stand the never-ending phone trees, recorded information, brainless reps, chats, trying to use the website, so I just don't. They know most people will just give up if they don't fix your problem. Only you know what your time is worth. I hope you are luckier than I have been.
Move the base unit of your cordless phone away from any computers. Far away. My base unit is in the guest room. A lot of the 'land lines' are VOIP now and computers, etc can interfere with the quality of the call.

Also, I have one phone that isnt a cordless, it's a regular phone plugged directly into the wall, like the old days. If I am experiencing a lot of static, I typically take that phone off the hook and put it down and that usually clears the static right up. Of course I have to remember to put it back ON the hook when I am done...I've forgotten a bunch of times.