Article: Hotel Reservation Cancelled by Hotel, Expedia won't Refund $$$

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 27, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/isnt-woma...-cancelled-no-121505120--abc-news-travel.html

YahooNEWS

'This isn't right': Woman speaks out after her hotel reservation was canceled with no refund

ABC NEWS
Good Morning AmericaJuly 5, 2017

Video Not Available
Unfortunately, this video is not available in your region.
SS-100-202

"I was pretty horrified and disappointed," Holly Parsons told ABC News of when she first learned that her $874 three-night reservation at a mountain resort had been canceled, and she was not immediately offered any compensation.
Parsons said she had been planning a trip to Bend, Oregon, with her cousin and both of their children to spend time together and watch her youngest son compete in a lacrosse tournament.

Just weeks before the trip she received an email saying her reservation at the WorldMark Seventh Mountain Resort had been canceled due to overbooking.

Expedia said it was not liable for the overbooking, saying in a statement to local ABC News affiliate KOMO-TV that it was "caused by external factors beyond the direct control of Expedia." The WorldMark Seventh Mountain Resort did not immediately respond to ABC News request for comment Tuesday.

Parsons said she spent a grueling three days and over six hours on the phone with Expedia agents, until they eventually re-accommodated her in a Holiday Inn Express and offered her and her cousin each $500 worth of Expedia vouchers.

"I booked a beautiful vacation for my cousin and I at a mountain resort," she said, "and this feels like a total bait and switch."

She added that the way it was handled when she initially called Expedia left her "fuming."

"The process of being on hold for so, so long, and dealing with multiple, multiple people and repeating myself, it was awful," the mother of two added.

She also says she did not feel satisfied with the compensation Expedia offered either.

"I wasn't receiving cash in return, I'm receiving vouchers to do business with an entity that I'm not sure that I ever would want to do, or ever would recommend to do, business with ever again," Parsons said.

Expedia did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment Tuesday, but told local ABC News affiliate KOMO-TV, "We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration Holly Parsons experienced and can confirm our team contacted her to successfully resolve this case. At Expedia, we strive to provide the highest level of customer service, and anytime there is an issue with an Expedia booking we recommend that our customers contact our excellent Customer Service team."

Holly is now advocating for increased protections for hotel customers, saying, "this isn't right."

"That's actually shocking that anybody can do business with you and take your money and basically absolve themselves of any liability through a few buried words on a website," she added.

Jan 6, 2015
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/isnt-woma...-cancelled-no-121505120--abc-news-travel.html

YahooNEWS

'This isn't right': Woman speaks out after her hotel reservation was canceled with no refund

ABC NEWS
Good Morning AmericaJuly 5, 2017

Video Not Available
Unfortunately, this video is not available in your region.
SS-100-202

"I was pretty horrified and disappointed," Holly Parsons told ABC News of when she first learned that her $874 three-night reservation at a mountain resort had been canceled, and she was not immediately offered any compensation.
Parsons said she had been planning a trip to Bend, Oregon, with her cousin and both of their children to spend time together and watch her youngest son compete in a lacrosse tournament.

Just weeks before the trip she received an email saying her reservation at the WorldMark Seventh Mountain Resort had been canceled due to overbooking.

Expedia said it was not liable for the overbooking, saying in a statement to local ABC News affiliate KOMO-TV that it was "caused by external factors beyond the direct control of Expedia." The WorldMark Seventh Mountain Resort did not immediately respond to ABC News request for comment Tuesday.

Parsons said she spent a grueling three days and over six hours on the phone with Expedia agents, until they eventually re-accommodated her in a Holiday Inn Express and offered her and her cousin each $500 worth of Expedia vouchers.

"I booked a beautiful vacation for my cousin and I at a mountain resort," she said, "and this feels like a total bait and switch."

She added that the way it was handled when she initially called Expedia left her "fuming."

"The process of being on hold for so, so long, and dealing with multiple, multiple people and repeating myself, it was awful," the mother of two added.

She also says she did not feel satisfied with the compensation Expedia offered either.

"I wasn't receiving cash in return, I'm receiving vouchers to do business with an entity that I'm not sure that I ever would want to do, or ever would recommend to do, business with ever again," Parsons said.

Expedia did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment Tuesday, but told local ABC News affiliate KOMO-TV, "We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration Holly Parsons experienced and can confirm our team contacted her to successfully resolve this case. At Expedia, we strive to provide the highest level of customer service, and anytime there is an issue with an Expedia booking we recommend that our customers contact our excellent Customer Service team."

Holly is now advocating for increased protections for hotel customers, saying, "this isn't right."

"That's actually shocking that anybody can do business with you and take your money and basically absolve themselves of any liability through a few buried words on a website," she added.
@Kahhss posted this earlier today:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/the-joys-of-booking-via-expedia.6489/

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I don't understand this thread ... what is going on? How and who can we help?
No one to help, just a news story of a traveler who booked a hotel through Expedia, the hotel cancelled, Expedia initially refused to refund the customer and/or book them into another hotel. Basically, Expedia wanted to keep their money despite not providing any product or service!