Appropriate Compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 24, 2015
With some great help from the team here at Elliott I received prompt communication back from Carnival after being turned away on my initial inquiry. Quick backstory - I took a cruise on the Carnival Miracle 9/5 - 9/12, both my in-laws and I shared a wall that caused shaking, vibrations, and rattling in our rooms for all 7 nights of the cruise. This began when we left port and never stopped until the cruise was over. I wrote a detailed letter to Carnival explaining the issue and asking for some sort of compensation (nothing specified, just looking for something). They didn't address any of the issues and declined my request. On comes Elliott's team who reached back out to Carnival and within 2hrs they had offered a 20% refund and 15% off a future booking.

My question is, what's fair in this instance? Truly, without any exaggeration, we had no rest on the cruise. The rattling and shaking was that bad. Imagine 7 nights of this. I feel like I need another vacation to catch up on the lack of rest from this vacation.

Thoughts?

Sep 22, 2014
With some great help from the team here at Elliott I received prompt communication back from Carnival after being turned away on my initial inquiry. Quick backstory - I took a cruise on the Carnival Miracle 9/5 - 9/12, both my in-laws and I shared a wall that caused shaking, vibrations, and rattling in our rooms for all 7 nights of the cruise. This began when we left port and never stopped until the cruise was over. I wrote a detailed letter to Carnival explaining the issue and asking for some sort of compensation (nothing specified, just looking for something). They didn't address any of the issues and declined my request. On comes Elliott's team who reached back out to Carnival and within 2hrs they had offered a 20% refund and 15% off a future booking.

My question is, what's fair in this instance? Truly, without any exaggeration, we had no rest on the cruise. The rattling and shaking was that bad. Imagine 7 nights of this. I feel like I need another vacation to catch up on the lack of rest from this vacation.

Thoughts?
I would tend to agree with you. The offer is a little on the light side. I'd have thought the value would be 25% - 35%.
That may have been how Canrnival computed the value but allocated some on the completed cruise and the rest on a future cruise. You have to weigh the possible options if you reject the offer: they may rescind it or repeat take it or leave.
It's been said that with every fair settlement, niether party is completely happy. So, in the interests of moving forward to your next and happier cruise, maybe you should accept.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Does Carnival still offer their guarantee that if you aren't happy, you can leave at the first port of call and get a full refund? If it was that awful, did you consider it?
Yes they do and that is a great question for the letter writer. Jason, you could have gotten off at the first port and received 110% back.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx?icid=CC_vacation-guarantee-b2_1766

Since you didn't, I think what they offered you is fair. The fact that they are giving you an actual partial refund is amazing as they don't usually do that - it's usually just a credit for a future cruise.

Sep 24, 2015
Appreciate everyone's thoughts. I wrote Carnival back letting them know I appreciated them reconsidering and that I found the compensation fair.

Regarding the 100% cruise guarantee - I'm assuming this must be something they don't push very hard (for obvious reasons) as my issue was brought up within 24hrs of sailing and this option was never presented, nor was I familiar with it until after the cruise. I don't think I would have taken it since we traveled with 6 others (4 of which had no shaking/rattling issues).

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Jason, maybe I missed this, but did Carnival offer to move you? If the ship was full, or if you didn't ask, then I think the compensation you were offered was OK. If the noise was so great that you couldn't sleep at all, I would have asked for 50% credit toward a future cruise. But that depends on what actions you instigated after the first night.

Sep 24, 2015
Judy, after the first night I spoke to Guest Services and they assured me the shaking was solely due to the speed we were traveling at. Once the ship slowed down the shaking would cease. After the 2nd night we realized it wasn't due to that and went in person to Guest Services and were given the run around again. They offered a room to sleep in, but did not offer permanent relocation (I believe the ship was at capacity, which is likely the reason they didn't offer something permanent).

As I mentioned above, the 100% satisfaction offer was not brought to our attention - and until I read it on Carnival's website post-cruise, I wasn't aware of it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Judy, after the first night I spoke to Guest Services and they assured me the shaking was solely due to the speed we were traveling at. Once the ship slowed down the shaking would cease. After the 2nd night we realized it wasn't due to that and went in person to Guest Services and were given the run around again. They offered a room to sleep in, but did not offer permanent relocation (I believe the ship was at capacity, which is likely the reason they didn't offer something permanent).

As I mentioned above, the 100% satisfaction offer was not brought to our attention - and until I read it on Carnival's website post-cruise, I wasn't aware of it.
Did you book through a travel agent? If so, they should be helping you with this. And they also should have told you about the guarantee.

Sep 24, 2015
I did not book through a travel agent, but would consider in the future. It's one of the last remaining areas where they have an edge vs. booking through the direct channel.
Thanks for the advice on the credit - I've been told it will be valid through September, 2017 - so there is a little time there.
As of today I still have not received the 20% refund check.

Aug 28, 2015
New York

Did you ever find out the cause of the shaking? Was it the part of the boat they put you in? if it is, I bet you can find some other complaints online about the shaking. What do you think it was?

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
My guess is that they were likely in the extreme Aft of the ship. Those locations on some ships have significant vibration when the ship is traveling at high speeds, choppy seas or entering & leaving port.
Some people aren't bother at all and to others it just can't be tolerated for a minute. Could also be the very forward bow location.
Best location if you are concerned is to pick a Mid-Ship location, and safest to make sure you have only passenger cabins above you and below you.

Sep 24, 2015
We were in cabins 7243 & 7245, both were balcony rooms located in the middle of the ship. Our friends were in 7241, also a balcony room and had no vibration or notable shaking in their room. I'd love to know more about the cabins specifically.
I have not reached out to Carnival yet since it had only been a week and I'm thinking that through snail mail I should allow 10 or so days to pass.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
So, a search for noise in Carnival Miracle cabins 7243 and 7245 didn't bring any pertinent results. They're on a mid-deck, and midship on the vessel.

These cabins are above and below another balcony cabin, so there's no equipment/machinery above or below that might cause the noise and vibration you experienced. That was my first thought.

It's interesting that the wall between 7243/7245 had the vibration and noise, yet the wall between 7241/7243 did not.

I did note that the starboard elevator bank (two elevators) is immediately across the passageway from the two affected cabins. I could hazard a guess that the elevator equipment somehow jiggled/vibrated a mis-installed cabin wall, resulting in what you experienced.

Cabin 7241 is NOT behind the elevators. And it didn't experience the noise/vibration. You can right click the IMG icon below and see the deck, as well as the cabins under discussion.

http://deckplangenius.com/CabinPicturesLocation.aspx?stateroom=49745

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Well that shoots my theory! I did check several "Cabin Review" sites for reported issues on these exact cabins and could find none reported.
That of course does not mean anything but other cruises had not complained in the Internet.