Appliance Factory Sold Us A Lemon Kitchen Aid refrigerator

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 19, 2017
We purchased a Kitchen Aid dishwasher, range, microwave and refrigerator from Appliance Factory in July 2015. The Refrigerator broke down three times during the first twelve months while it still had warranty. During the first service call, we were informed that the unit could not be fixed, as the evaporator was completely frozen and parts needed to be ordered. The evaporator thermistor and harness also needed to be replaced. They came back six days later with parts. Second service call a month later due to the unit not dispensing cold water, but no attempt to fix the problem was done. Instead, we were told to put ice in the water. Third service call, we were informed the evaporator was completely frozen once again, the 3-way valve was defective and the main control needed replacement.This time it took an entire week before they returned. I then contacted Kitchen Aid to let them know that we had to throw away our food on more than one occasion and the inconvenience it had caused to my family particularly because our elderly parents live with us, and they both have serious & chronic illnesses to deal with. I was informed that they would consider replacing the unit, but I would need to go through the store manager at Appliance Factory. Please also note I informed Kitchen Aid we had requested the manufacturer's rebate of $400 for buying all 4 appliances at the same time advertised at Appliance Factory, but a year later and we never received such offer. I contacted Ben, store manager at AF and explained the circumstances; however, he informed me that Kitchen Aid did not know what they were talking about and that he would not consider replacing the refrigerator. At that point the refrigerator was almost out of the manufacturer's warranty . We contacted our credit card company in July, 2016 filed a claim, and provided the necessary paperwork. In November, 2016 we were notified by our credit card company the claim was accepted by the merchant''s bank and a refund of $2,698 (refrigerator's price) had been given back to us.
However, I received a letter from Appliance Factory last week with a final demand to pay them $2,698 by 01/18/2017 or AF will file a lawsuit against us. On Monday, 01/16/207, I called Tom Martino (consumer advocate). Soon after calling them, I received a call from Appliance Factory media director who gave me two options:
Return the refrigerator or pay the above amount. He asked for a phone call back by the end of business day today with an answer. Please respond as soon as possible and advise what is the best course of action. Thank you.

Would it be possible to buy a brand new Kitchen Aid refrigerator for $2,698 from Appliance Factory, have them deliver it, pick up the old lemon and return it to their store? This might solve the problem.

I realize that you're probably hesitant to buy another Kitchen Aid but your first one may have been an exception. They usually make a decent product.

so give them back the fridge - why would you want it?

Go buy a different brand that as closely resembles the rest of your appliances as possible -

you've got a lemon. You got your money back - why should you keep the fridge?

you should also be able to get one for a lot less - go check your local Sears -

dunno know where you are buy shop around - $2700 for a fridge is a fancy unit -

Jan 19, 2017
Thank you for your response. Can AF ask for it back even though the poor customer service & the inconvinience to my family, food wasted, which means we had to pay for it. What happens to the warrant of merchantability?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
You said your credit card refunded the entire purchase price. So tell Kitchen Aid to take back their broken refrigerator and then go buy a GE or something at a different store.

Feb 9, 2016
return the fridge. you are drawing out a stressful situation. sometimes you just have to 'get on with it'. Yes, you have been inconvenienced and frustrated and disrespected. so end the drama and return the fridge.
Thank you for your response. Can AF ask for it back even though the poor customer service & the inconvinience to my family, food wasted, which means we had to pay for it. What happens to the warrant of merchantability?
If your credit card refunded you the money then you don't get to keep the fridge. yu don't get to be unjustly enriched, keeping a fridge and making a $2k+ profit. return the fridge.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
With all due respect, why are you trying to complicate things? At long last you got an excellent outcome! You've made it clear over the past year that you don't want the fridge, and finally got your money back with the help of the consumer advocate. I'm not sure what there is to think about. At this point the fridge isn't yours to keep anyway.

If you want to try to recover the cost of your inconvenience, spoilage, stress, breach of merchantability, etc. then pay AF for the fridge. Next step is to sue them, and include the cost of the fridge in your complaint. Incidental / consequential / punitive damages cannot be sought through Small Claims court in most states, so it would be in "regular" Court. Estimate the amount of your time and attorneys fees required, and balance that against the "best case" award, which you may not receive. (Most attorneys will not take on this fairly small case without a sizable retainer).

Last edited:
That's a separate issue.

Can you prove you've had 2800 worth of food loss and inconvenience?

Look. Give them back their fridge and stop pushing it.

If you have a merchantability or fitness for use issue - raise it after they get their fridge. Keeping someone else's property is a crime you know. Your civil claim can be raised. It's not likely they'll call le and have le show up in a civil dispute. But often store security people are retired police with deep ties to local le departments.

Who they gonna believe? You? Or the guy they worked beside for 20 years.

You want that fight? Give them back their fridge.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Why would you want to keep the fridge, is it working?
What, until it breaks again and you have to throw out more food? Have them come get it and good riddance.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I own KA appliances in two houses.
Kitchen aid warrants the appliance. KA is who contracts with local appliance repair companies and has them go to your house for service, not AF.
AF needs the appliance back so they can get their money back from KA.
GIVE it to them.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Rebeca, are you concerned about the cost to return the refrigerator? Do they expect you to hire someone to bring it back? Tell them to come and get it, give them a window to do so, and move on. Do this in writing. If it's still there when your new refrigerator arrives from a different retailer, give those delivery guys $20 and ask them to put the KA out in the garage. Give AF one more chance to come and pick it up.

I'd document all this with a bullet list of what happened just in case. They don't sound like a very customer-oriented company.

Sep 5, 2016
so give them back the fridge - why would you want it?

Go buy a different brand that as closely resembles the rest of your appliances as possible -

you've got a lemon. You got your money back - why should you keep the fridge?

you should also be able to get one for a lot less - go check your local Sears -

dunno know where you are buy shop around - $2700 for a fridge is a fancy unit -
I'm with you Joe. Just return the darn fridge. I am curious though, as to what happened to

the $400 multi purchase rebate. If it was offered, she should have received it.

May 17, 2016
We purchased a Kitchen Aid dishwasher, range, microwave and refrigerator from Appliance Factory in July 2015. The Refrigerator broke down three times during the first twelve months while it still had warranty. During the first service call, we were informed that the unit could not be fixed, as the evaporator was completely frozen and parts needed to be ordered. The evaporator thermistor and harness also needed to be replaced. They came back six days later with parts. Second service call a month later due to the unit not dispensing cold water, but no attempt to fix the problem was done. Instead, we were told to put ice in the water. Third service call, we were informed the evaporator was completely frozen once again, the 3-way valve was defective and the main control needed replacement.This time it took an entire week before they returned. I then contacted Kitchen Aid to let them know that we had to throw away our food on more than one occasion and the inconvenience it had caused to my family particularly because our elderly parents live with us, and they both have serious & chronic illnesses to deal with. I was informed that they would consider replacing the unit, but I would need to go through the store manager at Appliance Factory. Please also note I informed Kitchen Aid we had requested the manufacturer's rebate of $400 for buying all 4 appliances at the same time advertised at Appliance Factory, but a year later and we never received such offer. I contacted Ben, store manager at AF and explained the circumstances; however, he informed me that Kitchen Aid did not know what they were talking about and that he would not consider replacing the refrigerator. At that point the refrigerator was almost out of the manufacturer's warranty . We contacted our credit card company in July, 2016 filed a claim, and provided the necessary paperwork. In November, 2016 we were notified by our credit card company the claim was accepted by the merchant''s bank and a refund of $2,698 (refrigerator's price) had been given back to us.
However, I received a letter from Appliance Factory last week with a final demand to pay them $2,698 by 01/18/2017 or AF will file a lawsuit against us. On Monday, 01/16/207, I called Tom Martino (consumer advocate). Soon after calling them, I received a call from Appliance Factory media director who gave me two options:
Return the refrigerator or pay the above amount. He asked for a phone call back by the end of business day today with an answer. Please respond as soon as possible and advise what is the best course of action. Thank you.
So...why not return the refrigerator? It sounds like a lemon. I would then go elsewhere to purchase a new fridge.

May 17, 2016
Kitchen Aid might make decent products, but our experience with AF was very poor so I am hesitant to purchase from them again
I had a persistent problem with a KitchenAid washer--leaking pump which was replaced a couple of times to no avail. Also a problem with the dishwasher--the repairman advised me to toss it. I wound up replacing all my KitchenAid appliances with other brands. I'm afraid KitchenAid is not what it used to be.

May 17, 2016
I'm with you Joe. Just return the darn fridge. I am curious though, as to what happened to

the $400 multi purchase rebate. If it was offered, she should have received it.
At this point, I'd forget about the rebate. If the dealership wants the old fridge back, go for it! Great solution.