Aon Affinity, Travelocity and Alamo car rental all pointing fingers at each other on denied accident insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 27, 2018
I booked an Alamo car rental for the Cayman Islands through Travelocity and purchased the offered rental insurance at the time of booking. The confirmation indicated the car rental fees would be due at the rental agency. There was nothing on the online form asking for who would be the driver. My husband always drives so I called Alamo to make sure this would be OK. They said it was fine and to just tell them that at the rental agency. The online paperwork indicated the payment method for the rental car needed to be the driver's payment method so when we got to the rental agency I again told them that I had booked and bought insurance but my husband would be the driver. They had me initialing the rental agreement (including the section on the agreement where you waive the local insurance). When we got to the section for the signature I asked if my husband should sign and they said sure. They had taken both my and my husband's driver licenses for the rental. The car's tires were badly worn and we skidded of of control driving in the rain. At the rental agency they made us put the charges for the damages on our credit card (over $9,000.00) and we would have to file with Aon Affinity for reimbursement. Aon denied our claim listing the reason that I (the person who booked the rental and insurance and have the rental confirmation and insurance confirmation in my name) am not on the rental agreement. Just because my husband was driving, that doesn't remove me from the agreement. Now Travelocity is pointing me back to Aon and Alamo, Aon basically told me that's it unless I have more documentation, and I'm waiting for a response from Alamo. Also, Aon's letter was missing the second page which should have included the phone number for the regulatory agency for appeals. The first page listed the area code and prefix and the rest of the phone number was missing and there was no second page. When I called Aon, the rep said "it's help". I asked if her to have the complete letter resent since I didn't receive a complete letter and it's been well over a week and I haven't received it. I entered an agreement in good faith, purchased the necessary rental insurance and I need an advocate.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you rented in your name, you should have signed everything and listed your husband as the second driver. I believe that’s how this should have been handled. Then you both would have been authorized drivers. You rented the car, the insurance was purchased in your name.

I think you are going to need an attorney for this.

Sep 19, 2015
Who was on the rental agreement? Just the husband? It sound like a mess. What does the insurance policy say about the who is covered, is spouse covered?

I have to agree with Neil that an attorney may be needed and that one should have authorized driver officially added; but some places charge for that so it may not be a good idea for the non- driver to book and pay for a rental. The main driver should be the one renting.

This situation, one of insurance coverage and a car rental, in a foreign country, may need legal advice and not advocacy.

Jan 6, 2015
One confusing item. You say "They had me initialing the rental agreement (including the section on the agreement where you waive the local insurance)", but then you say "I entered an agreement in good faith, purchased the necessary rental insurance".

Also, I'm not sure that your initials constitute being "on the rental agreement". They may be saying only the one who "signed" meets that requirement.

Jan 6, 2015
This is the puzzling part, at least for me, Chris. is that Debra states that her name is missing from the agreement - and that Alamo is denying there claim because of it.

Corrected: Hertz should be Alamo (sorry everyone)

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is the puzzling part, at least for me, Chris. is that Debra states that her name is missing from the agreement - and that Hertz is denying there claim because of it.
I took that to mean she didn’t put or pay for herself as an authorized driver on the agreement. I hope our writer comes back to clarify.

Apr 10, 2017
I have rented cars numerous times in the Cayman Islands with different companies, including Hertz. None of them charged an additional driver fee for a spouse. However, an international driver's license is required to drive there. You can get these ahead of time at a local AAA office or buy them from the rental agency. Was your husband the only one to get one of these since he was the only driver? It's possible the claim is being denied because you yourself didn't have one of these licenses. If your name was the one on the insurance policy they may have required that you be listed at the primary driver with your husband as the secondary. If you didn't have an international license you wouldn't have been a licensed driver in the Cayman Islands.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have rented cars numerous times in the Cayman Islands with different companies, including Hertz. None of them charged an additional driver fee for a spouse. However, an international driver's license is required to drive there. You can get these ahead of time at a local AAA office or buy them from the rental agency. Was your husband the only one to get one of these since he was the only driver? It's possible the claim is being denied because you yourself didn't have one of these licenses. If your name was the one on the insurance policy they may have required that you be listed at the primary driver with your husband as the secondary. If you didn't have an international license you wouldn't have been a licensed driver in the Cayman Islands.
This is what Alamo's (they rented from Alamo according to her original post) website says about additional drivers:

How old do you have to be to rent a car? What are the requirements?
Consider who will be driving the rental car during your trip. The driver must be at least 21 years old, except in New York and Michigan, where the minimum age is 18. Depending on your location and the size of your rental vehicle, there may be restrictions or additional fees if the driver is younger than 25.
The driver must also have a valid driver’s license from his or her country of residence. If the driver’s license is not in English, he or she must also bring an international driving permit. Lastly, the driver must present a valid credit card in his or her name when picking up the vehicle. There are some exceptions to these rules. For further details, please visit Alamo’s Driver’s License Policy page.
Planning to share driving duties during your vacation? Add a second driver for an average of $12 a day (exact cost varies by location), but make sure he or she also meets all of the requirements listed above.

Apr 10, 2017
Another poster said it was Hertz but I now see it was Alamo. I know we have rented from Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, and Dollar when we have gone there. None of those agencies charged an additional driver fee for a spouse and I was led to believe it was standard practice in the Caymans not to do so. I do know you must have an international driver's license if you present a U.S. license. I wondered if Debra got one for herself or if only her husband got one as the primary driver. If she didn't get one (despite showing her U.S. license) that could play into why the claim was denied. If she didn't have one she wouldn't be considered a licensed driver and everything was originally put in her name.

Jan 6, 2015
Debra has been offered only one reason for the denial: "I (the person who booked the rental and insurance and have the rental confirmation and insurance confirmation in my name) am not on the rental agreement."

1. Alamo took both driver's licenses "for the rental"
2. She initialed the agreement "(including the section on the agreement where you waive the local insurance)"
3. Her husband signed the rental agreement and drove the car
4. Debra also states that she "purchased the necessary rental insurance"

So, we are waiting for a clarification of the insurance status and why, if she booked the rental and they took her license, she is "not on the agreement" ...

Sep 19, 2015
As noted above if one does not have an international drivers license on must pay for a Cayman Island one. if that was not done than there was no ability to properly drive there. This adds another layer-- not the same as showing a US license and leaving with a rental. Did both drivers have the proper license?

Unless more details are given by the OP we are left with guessing.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think the issue is the reservation AND insurance were in the wife’s name. When you make a res. and buy insurance with the res- it’s in the name of the person making the res. She should have been in the rental agreement and signed the contract and husband should have been listed as an authorized driver. Without doing this, it’s my opinion that the insurance is void. Plus you have the drivers license issue in Caymans. That’s why I think our letter writer is going to need to retain an attorney unfortunately.

From doing this for 16 years that’s my understanding.

Jan 27, 2018
I reserved the car through Travelocity. There was nowhere on the online request asking to provide the name of the driver. After I finished the online order and paid for the insurance I realized this and called Alamo to ask what to do and was told it wouldn't be a problem and to just tell them who would be driving at the rental agency. When we got there my husband and I were both asked to present our driver's licenses. I told them that my husband would be doing all of the driving and they said they would issue permits to both of us. We tossed the agreement in the trunk with our luggage and it was still in the trunk when the accident occurred. The trunk wouldn't open because of the damage and Alamo never retrieved it for us and only gave us copies that only included a permit for my husband. I started filling out the paperwork and on the signature page I asked if my husband should sign as the driver. The agent said yes. My initials, not my husband's are in the section of the agreement waiving the Alamo insurance. So I don't see how Alamo and Aon Affinity can have it both ways. If I'm not on the agreement as Aon states, then how can my initials waiving the Alamo insurance be valid?

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I reserved the car through Travelocity. There was nowhere on the online request asking to provide the name of the driver. After I finished the online order and paid for the insurance I realized this and called Alamo to ask what to do and was told it wouldn't be a problem and to just tell them who would be driving at the rental agency. When we got there my husband and I were both asked to present our driver's licenses. I told them that my husband would be doing all of the driving and they said they would issue permits to both of us. We tossed the agreement in the trunk with our luggage and it was still in the trunk when the accident occurred. The trunk wouldn't open because of the damage and Alamo never retrieved it for us and only gave us copies that only included a permit for my husband. I started filling out the paperwork and on the signature page I asked if my husband should sign as the driver. The agent said yes. My initials, not my husband's are in the section of the agreement waiving the Alamo insurance. So I don't see how Alamo and Aon Affinity can have it both ways. If I'm not on the agreement as Aon states, then how can my initials waiving the Alamo insurance be valid?

The res. should have been in your name and when you picked up the car you add your husband as a second driver. Then you sign the agreement.

That’s not how it sounded like it happened .

Jan 6, 2015
I now think I understand better what may have happened here. Under Alamo's Terms and Conditions, they immediately refer to "Renter’s signature on the front of the Rental Agreement" (which would be your husband) as meaniing the following:

Renter has read, is aware of, and accepts full responsibility for and is bound by the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement
Renter expressly acknowledges that Renter and Owner are the only (emphasis mine) parties to this Agreement

The likely result is what I would call a "perfect storm". You reserved the car and simultaneously a) declined Alamo's insurance and b) purchased insurance through Aon Affinity who then placed the insurance in your name as the renter. When picking up the rental, your husband signed the agreement, which made him "technically" the renter instead of you.

Furthermore, Alamo's insurance had already been declined at the time of purchase (online) and by your initials at the time of rental. And I understand your position to be that your initials were thus "invalid", as they don't show you on the agreement. Apparently, Alamo is not willing to honor that distinction.

At this point it seems the next logical step is to submit the claim to your insurance company ...