1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Purco victim

Discussion in 'Car rentals' started by Lotsapoppa, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Lotsapoppa

Hello, my question is about Purco, the infamous risk management company that handles “loss prevention”. That is, chasing down and billing car rental agency customers damage claims, genuine -- and false! I rented a car in Arizona in April of this year. It struck a rock on a freeway, which greatly damaged the oil pan and a bushing. Of course I had not gotten rental insurance, since my credit card provided auto rental insurance. So, genuine damage, but no one was hurt so all was good.

Two months later Purco billed me for over $3,200 for repairing the oil pan and bushing. They emailed photos and invoices, etc. This fee included the charge for loss of use and everyone’s favorite: “administrative fees”.

Not wanting a ‘hit’ on my car insurance record, I paid the full amount. (I learned credit card provides insurance only after your regular auto insurer pays a share.) Case closed.

Here’s the kicker: in early July Purco emailed a ‘second damage estimate’ demanding over $1,400 to pay for more damage! What -- you didn't see it three months earlier? Again they emailed blurry photos that showed nothing new. My local garage service people say a ‘second damage estimate’ is unheard of. I think that because I paid a huge amount, Purco sees me as a pigeon and is trying to get more easy money out of me. They haven’t even invested in a stamp!

I don’t have any more money. I think this whole setup is theft. If I don’t pay, what’s the worst they can do? Lower my credit score? Haul me into court?

2. Lotsapoppa

Now I'm actually rather pleased. Purco rectified this issue over the phone with me. I feel quite good about things now! Actually, their people are quite easy to deal with when you can make verbal contact with them. My contact person was downright gentle. They were foursquare and trustworthy every step of the process.

Rental car companies need their vehicles in good shape -- they provide a service, and they spell out their expectations fair and square.

I commend Purco Fleet Services. It is a pleasure doing business with them.

sas80 likes this.
  3. George M

You should be sure to get this purported resolution in writing - - either an email or a letter. They've already come back to you once and unless you have written proof that this matter has been resolved a new person may pick up your file and try to gouge you again.

joycexyz, sas80 and Neil like this.
  4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

SOMETIMES it is easy over the phone. Many times it takes escalation by using the process that is tacked to the top of the car rental forum.

Agree with George- verbal means nothing. Get it in writing.

SierraRose49 likes this.