Another cautionary tale about trip insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Agree with Neil about calling them, that is very important. We did contact them immediately and did ask what was going to be required to submit a claim BUT those that you speak to on the phone are not the adjusters so they did not advise about the receipts totaling the policy amount. The form also did not state the requirement for receipts totaling the policy coverage. It wasn't until I communicated with the customer service manager via email that I knew what they needed; never did someone over the phone communicate that.

My husband did a phenomenal job of holding on to every single receipt/document we requested reimbursement for which we sent in once we were stateside. Not only do you need to submit the receipt but the credit card statement showing payment as well. Like I said earlier, it is a very tedious process but well worth getting reimbursed!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Agree with Neil about calling them, that is very important. We did contact them immediately and did ask what was going to be required to submit a claim BUT those that you speak to on the phone are not the adjusters so they did not advise about the receipts totaling the policy amount. The form also did not state the requirement for receipts totaling the policy coverage. It wasn't until I communicated with the customer service manager via email that I knew what they needed; never did someone over the phone communicate that.

My husband did a phenomenal job of holding on to every single receipt/document we requested reimbursement for which we sent in once we were stateside. Not only do you need to submit the receipt but the credit card statement showing payment as well. Like I said earlier, it is a very tedious process but well worth getting reimbursed!
I dont understand what you mean by “they did not advise about the receipts totaling the policy amount. “

You always need to send receipts as proof of your payments. If they are more than the coverage you have for medical then you only get paid up to the max on your policy.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I dont understand what you mean by “they did not advise about the receipts totaling the policy amount. “

You always need to send receipts as proof of your payments. If they are more than the coverage you have for medical then you only get paid up to the max on your policy.
@Neil Maley, I originally mailed in the receipts related to my medical claim. The diagnosis and recommended treatment, the hospital bill and prescription medication receipts along with a copy of the credit card statements; as well as the credit card statement showing that we paid for the policy premium in full. The submission form nor any of the telephone agents (in excess of 6 different agents) stated that I needed to prove that we purchased non-refundable event tickets and pre-paid hotel rooms. I should have known when they asked for proof of payment for the 'tour package' that what they were trying to communicate was they needed to see what comprised of our chosen policy coverage amount.....the amount we would receive if we needed to cancel the trip entirely. Even though we were not asking for reimbursement for any of those items that totaled the policy amount, they wanted to have proof of payment for all of those items anyway. In our case, we built our own agenda so the policy coverage was made up of various non-refundable items rather than the typical 'cruise package' or 'land tour package' that usually encompasses the entire amount of coverage. Let's just say that there communication was not forthright; it would have been best if they directly asked for 'all receipts pertaining to the policy coverage amount' rather than 'we need to see your airline tickets'. I hope this makes sense!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The over-riding aspect to remember about insurance - any kind of insurance - is that the company employees come to work every day to see how many claims they can not pay. Part of that plan is to put CS people on the phone who are practically useless giving/getting information. The companies set up their Claims Departments so that the insured is driven insane by the whole process. I suspect that there is a large percentage of claimants who just go away rather than dealing with their claims month in and month out. The insurance business, at the executive level, is full of exceptionally bright people. They have built enormous companies on the premiums paid by their customers versus the claims paid out. Filing an insurance claim, as they say, is not for the faint of heart.