An early arrival!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have a favor to ask ... some of us don't click on links due to fhacking/virus/you-name-it concerns. Could you please just summarize the story quickly? That will allow us to go out there and look for it directly.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I have a favor to ask ... some of us don't click on links due to fhacking/virus/you-name-it concerns. Could you please just summarize the story quickly? That will allow us to go out there and look for it directly.
What Judy said.

The woman was in her 36th week (maybe). The normal gestation period is 37 to 42 weeks. Was she out of her mind, or what? Anyway, now that Spirit has done its one good deed of the decade, they're going to be bombarded by pregnant women trying to give birth on one of their flights so that little "Amelia" or "Charles Lindbergh" will have free flights for life. I almost wish that Spirit had maintained its normal customer unfriendly stance and told her "Congratulations and goodbye."

Here's a "cut and paste" of the article. Upon re-reading it I'm wondering how he can get a free flight for life on his birthday. What about the return flight? Probably he'll be charged double.

Baby Born Onboard Spirit Flight

Plane diverted to New Orleans as mother gives birth to son in midflight

MIRAMAR, Fla., June 27, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Experiencing a little turbulence during air travel is not uncommon. But giving birth to a baby during a flight is a whole different kind of turbulence. That's what took place on a recent Spirit flight. Originally, Spirit flight 971 was to go from Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas/Ft. Worth. But about thirty minutes into the flight, Cristina Penton of Phoenix, Arizona, who was 36 weeks pregnant, told flight attendants she wasn't feeling well and asked for medical assistance.

"Everything started happening very quickly," said Penton. "I didn't think I was having the baby because it was too soon, but after a few minutes I knew I needed medical attention. The flight attendants contacted doctors on the ground and they advised the flight attendants to see if there were any medical personnel on board. As it turned out there was a pediatrician and a nurse. Soon after that, it was clear I was having my baby, and I was in pure panic."

The flight was diverted to New Orleans Louis Armstrong Airport (MSY), and emergency medical crews were summoned to meet the plane upon arrival. However, before the plane could land, baby Christoph Lezcano was born on the aircraft. He weighed in at an even 7 pounds and was 19.5 inches tall. Both were taken to Ochsner Medical Center in Kenner, Louisiana. Both mother and baby are fine.

"A baby being born during a flight is very rare," said Spirit spokesman, Paul Berry. "But our flight attendants are trained to handle medical emergencies in flight and they have access to doctors on the ground via inflight communication. In this case we were fortunate to also have a pediatrician on board who brought even more care and comfort to the situation."

"The Spirit crew was very attentive and took care of me throughout the flight," added Penton. "They helped make what could have been a terrible situation as good as it could possibly be."

Today, representatives from Spirit Airlines met Cristina and baby Christoph at Ochsner Medical Center in Kenner, Louisiana, to deliver some gifts including free flights for Christoph and a guest to anywhere Spirit flies on his birthday, for life. The airline is also planning a special sale in honor of Christoph

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Not to be a pessimist......but I doubt the airline will keep pace (ie. stay in business) with the life of the baby to make it a huge windfall!

Jan 6, 2015
Knowing Spirit, with all their add-on fees and exceptions, it would be "free" to just the first destination (e.g., the JFK-ATL portion of a JFK-ATL-DEN-SFO one-way route). If so, that's about $200 worth x 60 years, so $12,000. In airline dollars that's nothing, especially over that length of time.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
The offer specifically states 'free flights' on his birthday for him and his guest which means he gets two outbound flights on his birthday and then has to pay for flights home for each person.

Feb 9, 2016
You do realize that this offer is probably really only about the base fare, right?

there are still bag fees, ticket issuing fees, and all of those other hidden fees that spirit hits you with that the child will have to pay.... lol

Im guessing, but that is probably the case....lol

My spidey sense is screaming fake news in order to get positive PR.

Pay some actress and a newborn-for-hire to go along with the story, put the event on a random flight that might not even exist and voila! a feel good fly spirit story!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It's not fake news, it was all over the major news stations in NY.

But let's see how this actually pans out. Who wants to bet we'll see a complaint here in a few years - "Spirit gave my child free flights for life but the taxes and fees cost most than booking a ticket on AA"?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would like to know why a woman in her 36th week was even wanting to/allowed to fly!
How would the airline know until she got on the plane? This is all Spirit has in their rules

Can I fly while I am pregnant?
SystemMarch 17, 2017 11:50

Women in their 8th month of pregnancy are urged to obtain an examination from her physician shortly before flying to confirm it is safe for them to travel.

Feb 9, 2015
How would the airline know until she got on the plane? This is all Spirit has in their rules

Can I fly while I am pregnant?
SystemMarch 17, 2017 11:50

Women in their 8th month of pregnancy are urged to obtain an examination from her physician shortly before flying to confirm it is safe for them to travel.

Not saying airline is at fault at all.....but I really hope she had a good reason to fly when she was that far along. That just seems to be outside of common sense, and I am sure that any dr would be telling her NOT to fly when she was that far along. Glad it all turned out well!

I recall flying on business once when I was barely 7 months pregnant....my company advised me to have a dr note to show to airlines if I was asked how far along I was.