• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Amtrak scheduling (Train has been late for six months straight)

Jan 15, 2020
Good Day:

I’m hoping for some assistance. I travel on Amtrak three days week and my train home has been late daily for six months straight. I call once a week, email corporate (including a contact) and have started to work my way down the list of contacts from the Amtrak section on this site to no avail. Below is a copy of the email I‘ve sent to Amtrak. Any help wild be appreciated.

To Whom it May Concern:

My name is Jonathan Mengel and I am a weekly Amtrak Traveler. Three days a week, I travel along the Northeast Corridor from Philadelphia to Washington D.C. I typically board train 67 in Philadelphia and return via train 178 departing the District of Columbia.

I’m sorry to say that my experience with Amtrak in the last few months has been anything but desirable. Approximately six months ago, when Amtrak started to offer the Non-stop Acela from New York to Washington, my afternoon Train (178) began to experience daily, chronic delays. I have arrived in Philadelphia on time one or two times in the last six months. For the first few months train 178 would either slow to a crawl outside of the Wilmington Station causing delay as an Amtrak train would speed by. It was clear that the train belonged to Amtrak based on the logo that was visible even at high speeds. Then, we would arrive timely to Wilmington only to sit there for eight to ten minutes waiting for said train to whiz by at high speed to pass. Now, we slow to a crawl (or spot) a few minutes outside of Philadelphia for the same high speed train to speed by.

Please note that, on average, Train 178 is late approximately seven minutes. On the surface that isn’t a lot of time, but collectively it adds up. Taking the train three days a week at a seven minute delay equals twenty one minutes per week. That’s forty eight minutes a month over the course of six months (that’s 288 minutes or 4.8 hours). It should be noted that the train is more often later than seven minutes. I’ve called and written to Amtrak on multiple occasions and have either been lied to, misdirected, or outright ignored. Here is what I’ve been told over the phone or by email:

At first I was informed that “delays happen when you travel.”. As a weekly traveler, I’ve been delayed due to weather (extreme hot and cold), track blockages, engine failure and, I’m sorry to report, suicides. I made it clear that daily lateness isn’t the result of normal “travel delays.”

I was informed that it was a freight issue as Amtrak doesn’t outright own the tracks. I made it clear that I could see passengers on the high speed train as well as the Amtrak logo.

I was finally informed as of November 19th, that it was in fact the new Non-stop nigh speed Acela from Washington D.C. to New York City. I was told that Train 178 would have to slow down or stop if already delayed so that the new train could make its schedule. I replied by indicating that Train 178 hasn’t been delayed aside from Wilmington or Philadelphia. At this point I haven’t been given a status update or even a sense if Amtrak is trying to rectify the scheduling conflict.

I am primarily disappointed that Amtrak is the cause of this issue as Amtrak controls scheduling, particularly along the Northeast Corridor-the most traveled and profitable of Amtrak’s routes. Is it Amtrak policy to treat an entire train as second class citizens? I’m also disturbed by the fact that staff don’t on and off the train are rather blasé about the habitual delays. It should be noted that I did receive a voucher after an investigation concurred with my findings that staff don’t even announce why we are late or even accurately announce when we are supposed to arrive. It is fair to have this situation ignored at the cost of time for hundreds of frequent travelers on a daily basis, some of whom miss their connecting regional trains as a result of this delay. It also isn’t fair to pay the full value of a ticket when service isn’t delivered as promised. It is my understanding that Amtrak’s CEO is a former airline executive. I ask how the airlines would handle this situation?. Many airlines have a “Passenger Bill of Rights.” I wish Amtrak would adopt a similar policy.

I’ve included my case numbers that should contain copies of my correspondence. I can forward upon request. Please note that my correspondence contains screenshots of delays over the months as a proof of what I described above. I want to thank you for your time and consideration. I sincerely hope that you can help rectify this unfortunate and unnecessary situation. I would like to conclude by expressing my appreciation for the men and women on the trains and at the stations who work hard to serve travelers. The folks I’ve encountered over the years have been very courteous and helpful (in particular Nancy at 30th Street Station and Jerry Simpson at Union Station).

Best,

Jonathan

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Amtrak doesn’t own the tracks and have to stop if a freight train requires access to the tracks before a passenger car does . I frequently experience delays on Amtrak.

Whst is your solution for this problem? If you have a complaint, you should have a solution for your complaint they Amtrak can add.

Reactions: Kitkat
Jan 15, 2020
Amtrak doesn’t own the tracks and have to stop if a freight train requires access to the tracks before a passenger car does . I frequently experience delays on Amtrak.

Whst is your solution for this problem? If you have a complaint, you should have a solution for your complaint they Amtrak can add.
amtrak created this situation with a new Acela scheduling. They can rectify by changing the schedule. This is not A freight situation. That much they’ve admitted.

Sep 4, 2019
Even the FAA doesn’t consider a flight to be late until 15 minutes past the scheduled departure.

As the child of a long-term Amtrak employee, I suspect they’re secretly tickled pink that the average delay is only 7 minutes on that particular train. Once something goes wrong, there’s not much they can do to make up time and the best they can hope for is to prevent a cascade of further issues. Unlike airlines, their schedules aren’t padded to account for predictable delays (like runway traffic, deicing, wind, etc.). The best solution I know is to try and take trains originating at or as close to your departure station as possible - never rely on a train to leave DC on time if it started in Florida, for example.

Sep 19, 2015
Well the problem is not truly the ACELA non stop --

I was told that Train 178 would have to slow down or stop if already delayed so that the new train could make its schedule.

If 178 was not already delayed than there would not be a further delay for the nonstop -- it is harder to slow or stop a train going at full speed versus a train that is slower and has stops planned. And if 178 is already delayed why cause another train to be delayed -- the delayed 178 is the prob

The more a train stops the more potential for delays -- as people can be slow to enter and exit the carriage. If someone with a baby or is mobility challenged is slow to exit the conductor cannot just shove them off the train and onto the platform.

Do you want Amtrak to pad their schedules like the airlines, so that the travel time is scheduled even longer? That is what they have done to account for the crowded airspace and air traffic control issues; flights that a decade ago where scheduled for 5.5 hours are now scheduled for 6.5 hours same airports and same direction--- and on the same type of 757/737. I have flown the same routes since college and have only seen the flight times increase.

Airlines do not give any compensation on short delays.

Train 178 leaves Union at what 4:02 and arrives in Philadelphia at 5:56 pm so what 114 minutes in total, with more stops than the Acela, including BWI airport, which I would suspect means travelers with luggage going to and from the airport -- more chances for delay.

One could take the Acela at 4:00 which has less stops and potential for delays but likely would be more expensive.

As for average 7 minutes late -- well the DOT gives airlines a grace period of less than 15 minutes -- so by DOT airline standards your train is on time

"A flight is counted as "on time" if it operated less than 15 minutes later than the scheduled time shown in the carriers' Computerized Reservations Systems (CRS). Arrival performance is based on arrival at the gate. Departure performance is based on departure from the gate. "

https://www.bts.gov/topics/airlines-and-airports/airline-time-performance-and-causes-flight-delays

The EU has a passenger bill of rights for rail travel and the delay has to be over 60 minutes to get compensation.

Also you state that the problems started approximately 6 months ago -- six months ago would be what, end of July? But the nonstop Acela only stated in late September (the 23rd) -- that is four months ago -- so how can the entire blame be on the nonstop Acela? I just checked the statistics for train 178 arriving in Philadelphia and departing the worst delays were in July and early September, before the nonstop started. There are other days when the train arrives in Philadelphia on time and leaves late to continue on -- and this is before and after the non stop started.

Amtrak runs on an old infrastructure that they do not completely control -- ie the rails; there are signal failures and other issues and there is rail congestion.

I do wish that there was more money put into transportation infrastructure -- air traffic control, high speed rail, etc, but that has not been a priority of those in charge and this is what the traveler is stuck with; congested and aging systems.

Jan 15, 2020
Well the problem is not truly the ACELA non stop --

I was told that Train 178 would have to slow down or stop if already delayed so that the new train could make its schedule.

If 178 was not already delayed than there would not be a further delay for the nonstop -- it is harder to slow or stop a train going at full speed versus a train that is slower and has stops planned. And if 178 is already delayed why cause another train to be delayed -- the delayed 178 is the prob

The more a train stops the more potential for delays -- as people can be slow to enter and exit the carriage. If someone with a baby or is mobility challenged is slow to exit the conductor cannot just shove them off the train and onto the platform.

Do you want Amtrak to pad their schedules like the airlines, so that the travel time is scheduled even longer? That is what they have done to account for the crowded airspace and air traffic control issues; flights that a decade ago where scheduled for 5.5 hours are now scheduled for 6.5 hours same airports and same direction--- and on the same type of 757/737. I have flown the same routes since college and have only seen the flight times increase.

Airlines do not give any compensation on short delays.

Train 178 leaves Union at what 4:02 and arrives in Philadelphia at 5:56 pm so what 114 minutes in total, with more stops than the Acela, including BWI airport, which I would suspect means travelers with luggage going to and from the airport -- more chances for delay.

One could take the Acela at 4:00 which has less stops and potential for delays but likely would be more expensive.

As for average 7 minutes late -- well the DOT gives airlines a grace period of less than 15 minutes -- so by DOT airline standards your train is on time

"A flight is counted as "on time" if it operated less than 15 minutes later than the scheduled time shown in the carriers' Computerized Reservations Systems (CRS). Arrival performance is based on arrival at the gate. Departure performance is based on departure from the gate. "

https://www.bts.gov/topics/airlines-and-airports/airline-time-performance-and-causes-flight-delays

The EU has a passenger bill of rights for rail travel and the delay has to be over 60 minutes to get compensation.

Also you state that the problems started approximately 6 months ago -- six months ago would be what, end of July? But the nonstop Acela only stated in late September (the 23rd) -- that is four months ago -- so how can the entire blame be on the nonstop Acela? I just checked the statistics for train 178 arriving in Philadelphia and departing the worst delays were in July and early September, before the nonstop started. There are other days when the train arrives in Philadelphia on time and leaves late to continue on -- and this is before and after the non stop started.

Amtrak runs on an old infrastructure that they do not completely control -- ie the rails; there are signal failures and other issues and there is rail congestion.

I do wish that there was more money put into transportation infrastructure -- air traffic control, high speed rail, etc, but that has not been a priority of those in charge and this is what the traveler is stuck with; congested and aging systems.

Thank you Christina! This is helpful.

I was informed in my last correspondence from Amtrak that it was the result of the Acela and that of train 178 is late it would result in a slowing or stopping near Wilmington or Philadelphia. The problem is, Train 178 is timely to all previous stops.

I didn’t realize that the new Acela didn’t extend that far back. That said, we would see a train whiz by with an Amtrak logo before we resume travel.

Aug 29, 2018
On some long distance lines, there are stops where a train may be booked to stop for 10-20 minutes; if a train is 5 minutes late arriving it can still leave on time and be closer to on time at subsequent destinations. (The California Zephyr has long stops at Salt Lake City, Denver, and Omaha.) . This would not work on the Northeast corridor.

Jan 15, 2020
Even the FAA doesn’t consider a flight to be late until 15 minutes past the scheduled departure.

As the child of a long-term Amtrak employee, I suspect they’re secretly tickled pink that the average delay is only 7 minutes on that particular train. Once something goes wrong, there’s not much they can do to make up time and the best they can hope for is to prevent a cascade of further issues. Unlike airlines, their schedules aren’t padded to account for predictable delays (like runway traffic, deicing, wind, etc.). The best solution I know is to try and take
trains originating at or as close to your departure station as possible - never rely on a train to leave DC on time if it started in Florida, for example.
That would not surprise me. What galls me is the fact, by all accounts, they created this situation (its not freight related or weather). They also won’t be honest and up front. I did receive a voucher when I called them out on not making any effort to inform riders of stoppages/delays.

Jan 15, 2020
That would not surprise me. What galls me is the fact, by all accounts, they created this situation (its not freight related or weather). They also won’t be honest and up front. I did receive a voucher when I called them out on not making any effort to inform riders of stoppages/delays.
please note that my train leaves timely.

Jun 24, 2019
I used to take the train from DC to NYC because the train was more reliable than flying. (I would always fly in to DC.) The train generally could beat planes that could not get out on time from Washington National. And sometimes planes were held as their was no gate space at LGA. And, of course, once at LGA, public transportation options were limited, compared to Amtrak, where I could switch to the subway and be home or hotel in a few minutes. I would never have thought that a 15 minute delay was at all of of the ordinary.

One reason for the train at night was that airplanes used to take off when permitted by the departure airport. At Washington National you could literally be on the plane for an hour past departure time lined up to take off. Then upon arrival in the NYC area, you could circle for an hour waiting for a slot at LGA. That made the train from downtown DC to midtown Manhattan faster. I worked on the government study which predated the rule that a departing plane has to have a spot reserved at the arrival airport, to cut down fuel waste.

Thursday or Friday nights you might see Joe Biden in the bar car. He got off in Wilmington.

Unfortunately, Amtrak uses essentially legacy track that it often does not own, and has to share that track with others. While passenger trains are supposed to be given priority, it's not easy to move a mile-long freight train out of the way.

Passenger railroad service tends not to be a moneymaker in any market. (Amtrak reports that in 2018 farebox revenue was about 95% of operating costs, a remarkable result. That still does not provide enough funds for capital projects.) The societal reason to subsidize Amtrak is to get those rail passengers out of cars and planes. Since Amtrak service is concentrated in a few markets, there is not nationwide political support for further subsidies. In fact, from time to time there are proposals to cut Amtrak altogether. In 1981, Pres. Reagan appointed J. Peter Grace to head up a commission to root out waste, fraud and abuse in the government. (I worked on a chapter unrelated to Amtrak.) The Grace Commission recommended the end of subsidies for Amtrak. Virtually none of the Grace Commission's recommendations were adopted.

Jan 15, 2020
I used to take the train from DC to NYC because the train was more reliable than flying. (I would always fly in to DC.) The train generally could beat planes that could not get out on time from Washington National. And sometimes planes were held as their was no gate space at LGA. And, of course, once at LGA, public transportation options were limited, compared to Amtrak, where I could switch to the subway and be home or hotel in a few minutes. I would never have thought that a 15 minute delay was at all of of the ordinary.

One reason for the train at night was that airplanes used to take off when permitted by the departure airport. At Washington National you could literally be on the plane for an hour past departure time lined up to take off. Then upon arrival in the NYC area, you could circle for an hour waiting for a slot at LGA. That made the train from downtown DC to midtown Manhattan faster. I worked on the government study which predated the rule that a departing plane has to have a spot reserved at the arrival airport, to cut down fuel waste.

Thursday or Friday nights you might see Joe Biden in the bar car. He got off in Wilmington.

Unfortunately, Amtrak uses essentially legacy track that it often does not own, and has to share that track with others. While passenger trains are supposed to be given priority, it's not easy to move a mile-long freight train out of the way.

Passenger railroad service tends not to be a moneymaker in any market. (Amtrak reports that in 2018 farebox revenue was about 95% of operating costs, a remarkable result. That still does not provide enough funds for capital projects.) The societal reason to subsidize Amtrak is to get those rail passengers out of cars and planes. Since Amtrak service is concentrated in a few markets, there is not nationwide political support for further subsidies. In fact, from time to time there are proposals to cut Amtrak altogether. In 1981, Pres. Reagan appointed J. Peter Grace to head up a commission to root out waste, fraud and abuse in the government. (I worked on a chapter unrelated to Amtrak.) The Grace Commission recommended the end of subsidies for Amtrak. Virtually none of the Grace Commission's recommendations were adopted.
interesting history! I do believe Amtrak is supposed to turn a marginal profit this year.

Jun 24, 2019
interesting history! I do believe Amtrak is supposed to turn a marginal profit this year.
Amtrak may turn an operating profit this year, but that does not include capital expenditures. Thus, an operating profit does not fairly reflect the true economic costs. And, of course, the rate of return on invested capital is and will remain negative until the end of time.

And while some folks might pay a premium to use Amtrak, because it beats driving or flying in certain areas, some customers are more price sensitive. Look at how many people buy basic economy airline tickets and then beef about carry-on restrictions, seat selection, lack of free meals, etc.

Jan 15, 2020
Amtrak may turn an operating profit this year, but that does not include capital expenditures. Thus, an operating profit does not fairly reflect the true economic costs. And, of course, the rate of return on invested capital is and will remain negative until the end of time.

And while some folks might pay a premium to use Amtrak, because it beats driving or flying in certain areas, some customers are more price sensitive. Look at how many people buy basic economy airline tickets and then beef about carry-on restrictions, seat selection, lack of free meals, etc.
agreed. I wasn’t trying to counter your post. I would hope that, if Amtrak becomes profitable, it will spur the government to invest more in refining travel (at least along the Northeast Corridor).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
agreed. I wasn’t trying to counter your post. I would hope that, if Amtrak becomes profitable, it will spur the government to invest more in refining travel (at least along the Northeast Corridor).
Amtrak has been operating this way for years. I really don’t see this happening in my life time. So we are stuck with what we have.

Reactions: Mengmas and VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
true. Sad but true.
Almost our entire rail system in this country needs an overhaul. We have the LIRR in NY and it’s terrible. There needs to be massive overhaul of tracks that are more then 100 years old and unless they raise prices, it’s not happening.

We can’t even keep our roads fixed - train tracks have little priority in the transportation world.

Reactions: Mengmas
Jan 15, 2020
Almost our entire rail system in this country needs an overhaul. We have the LIRR in NY and it’s terrible. There needs to be massive overhaul of tracks that are more then 100 years old and unless they raise prices, it’s not happening.

We can’t even keep our roads fixed - train tracks have little priority in the transportation world.
again, sad but true. I agree and it rankles me to no end. They replace track ties from the mid 19th century every summer.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Amtrak has been operating this way for years. I really don’t see this happening in my life time. So we are stuck with what we have.
I'm having trouble understanding how arriving seven minutes late represents a problem, and being stuck with this minor annoyance should be a positive. In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine AmTrak able to do anything about this situation. I can't imagine anyone being able to do something. Mengmus, what are you looking for?

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015

The only time anyone speaks about investing in transit is when Nimbies complain about new roads. Of course what then can end up happening is that the road doesn't get built and neither does the transit.

Anyway, getting back on topic, the best thing I can recommend is what Neil said at the top, to write to our contacts.

Reactions: Mengmas