American Express is lying!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 18, 2017
Recently AMEX revised their airfare program abandoning their 2 for 1 program and at the same time substantially increased their annual membership fee. Well here’s my first experience and it could not possibly be worse.

I called Qantas to establish the cost of business class airfare on a trip from Phoenix to Perth and return with a few domestic legs in Australia. Their cost was US$19,330 for two people. Amex quoted US$25,672 - a whopping $6,342 or 33% more. AMEX claims that one of their benefits with the Platinum Card is lower airfares but obviously it is not.

On April 17 I sent a hard copy letter to Janey Whiteside, the Sr. VP of Platinum Card. When I did not receive a reply I subsequently wrote on May 4 to Douglas Buckminster, Group President. As of today, June 11, neither has had the courtesy to respond.

I’ve had an American Express Card since 1972 and Amex Platinum used to be the preferred card for both my wife and me but now it’s Chase Reserve and I think we will cancel our Amex.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They can’t guarantee they will always have the best prices because prices are static, especially on business and first class tickets.

Here are their benefits and no where do they say lower airfares- but plenty of other perks like point.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...s/platinum-charge-card/28009-10-0#offer-terms
The lower airfares are mostly in economy because they can buy blocks of tickets at one price and resell them. They can’t do that with business and first class.

You have to do your homework regardless of who you book through.

Oct 18, 2017
They can’t guarantee they will always have the best prices because prices are static, especially on business and first class tickets.

Here are their benefits and no where do they say lower airfares- but plenty of other perks like point.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...s/platinum-charge-card/28009-10-0#offer-terms
The lower airfares are mostly in economy because they can buy blocks of tickets at one price and resell them. They can’t do that with business and first class.

You have to do your homework regardless of who you book through.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Airlines do and can offer promotional unpublished fares that they do not allow travel agent or booking sites to sell. It is actually up to the airline what fares the travel agents or booking sites can to sell. Some travel sites can negotiate with the airline to provide cheaper unpublished fares, but unless their contract specifically states it, it doesn't keep the airline from undercutting them. This is why it is always wise to check fares directly with the airline, more of them are offering lower fares than those available through a 3rd party.

Sep 19, 2015
Airlines often give the best pricing only on their own websites. It is not just the travel agencies that are excluded from these prices, even their own partners.

I wanted to buy an inter European flight on Lufthansa. I looked at the LH site. I wanted to buy the fare from United as I have all my info already there— such as passport number and all. On the United website the fare was more than 3 times the cost. I called United and asked, and they said that LH does not allow them to sell that fare, only higher unrestricted fares and that I was better off buying directly from Lufthansa. And these are two airlines that are part of the same alliance and code share partners.

So Qantas may not be allowing others to sell the same fare structure that they offer customers directly.

This may not be a case of AmEx lying.

And no where is there a guarantee to always have the lowest price on tickets. It says subject to availability and certain routes. The airlines control what discounts are available.

http://iap.americanexpress.com/

Jul 27, 2016
They don't guarantee they'll be cheaper. Depends on what fare bucket is available. This was also the case with the old 2-for-1 program as well - they were definitely cheaper than full J, but sometimes you could get discounted/restricted business fares for less than the Amex rate, even including the 2-for-1, which was typically on full fare tickets.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Recently AMEX revised their airfare program abandoning their 2 for 1 program and at the same time substantially increased their annual membership fee. Well here’s my first experience and it could not possibly be worse.

I called Qantas to establish the cost of business class airfare on a trip from Phoenix to Perth and return with a few domestic legs in Australia. Their cost was US$19,330 for two people. Amex quoted US$25,672 - a whopping $6,342 or 33% more. AMEX claims that one of their benefits with the Platinum Card is lower airfares but obviously it is not.

On April 17 I sent a hard copy letter to Janey Whiteside, the Sr. VP of Platinum Card. When I did not receive a reply I subsequently wrote on May 4 to Douglas Buckminster, Group President. As of today, June 11, neither has had the courtesy to respond.

I’ve had an American Express Card since 1972 and Amex Platinum used to be the preferred card for both my wife and me but now it’s Chase Reserve and I think we will cancel our Amex.
I too have had my AmEx since 1972, Peter, it was my very first big-shot card. But now we use the Chase Sapphire cards almost exclusively. AmEx was very good to me over the years, but they have been downgrading the perks for a long time. I don't know what their corporate strategy is, but Chase is eating their lunch.

I'm sure you didn't accuse them of lying when you wrote to them, did you? That would guarantee that your letter was discarded immediately. As you see, it's not true anyway.