American Express/Hotels.com

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for the advise, I will do so. And I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks again!
They aren’t calling back because phone calls are the least effective way to fight them. They will give you the excuses “no one gave me the message” and you cannot prove what anyone says on the phone.

Stop the calls and use email only. There is no
“He said, she said” in writing. It’s black and white. In fact if anyone calls- tell them you want the response in email.

I am betting they don’t have recorded calls from Sept. anymore.

May 31, 2018
They aren’t calling back because phone calls are the least effective way to fight them. They will give you the excuses “no one gave me the message” and you cannot prove what anyone says on the phone.

Stop the calls and use email only. There is no
“He said, she said” in writing. It’s black and white. In fact if anyone calls- tell them you want the response in email.

I am betting they don’t have recorded calls from Sept. anymore.
I've asked for an email address contact and they've refused that request multiple times. I will now heed your advise and not only email the top executives listed on the site, but also send them a letter in the mail via certified mail.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've asked for an email address contact and they've refused that request multiple times. I will now heed your advise and not only email the top executives listed on the site, but also send them a letter in the mail via certified mail.
Please read the info on how to write first. Don’t start at the top and don’t email all at once. Start with the lowest Executive and give him or her a week to reply- repeat if necessary. There is a method to use we tell you to use for the best outcome

May 31, 2018
Thank you again for the advise I will read the info provided on the Elliott site before writing the letter/email.

There are four people listed as contacts one the Elloitt site. There is a primary contact, two secondary contacts, and the CEO. I'm guessing start with one of the secondary contacts (Doug Buckminster President, Global Consumer Services Group) first and take it from there?

May 31, 2018
If you have already dealt with the primary contact address we have then you would start with the lowest executive on the list.
Okay I'll start with the primary contact since I have not contacted any executives directly at Amex.

Thank you again and enjoy your weekend!

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@egg623 if you want to post a draft here prior to sending for suggestions, please do so but make sure to "x" or omit any personal or identifying information (i.e., full name, card #, reservation #, etc.).

May 31, 2018
@egg623 if you want to post a draft here prior to sending for suggestions, please do so but make sure to "x" or omit any personal or identifying information (i.e., full name, card #, reservation #, etc.).
Here's a 1st draft of a letter to Amex. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Greg

I'm writing you today as I have an ongoing dispute with American Express since 9/5/17. I have tried on many occasions to rectify the situation with the American Express customer care department, but they have unfortunately not been able to remedy this issue. As a card member for 19 plus years I feel like I have no other choice but to escalate the situation and contact you for assistance.

On 8/2/17 I booked a room through Hotels.com using my American Express card in the amount of $956.28. Upon check in on 9/5/17 I wasn't given the “Premium Apartment” I booked through the Hotels.com site. In speaking with the manager of the hotel they informed me that the room I was given was the room I booked and in addition the hotel was fully booked with no more available rooms during our dates booked. I tried to contact Hotels.com directly via my cell phone, but unfortunately with a wait time of 40 minutes while overseas I proceeded to contact them through their messenger program on their website. After not hearing back from Hotels.com after leaving a message with my call back info, I decided to call American Express directly for guidance. When speaking with a customer care agent I was directed to file a dispute against Hotels.com and check out of the hotel since there was nothing the hotel could do and since I wasn't able to get in contact with a customer care agent at Hotels.com.

For the last 9 months I've been disputing this charge through American Express with my dispute being turn down each time for multiple reasons. Most recently I've reached out to Hotels.com on my own and they have decided to only charge me for the first night stay ($239.07) and not the total amount ($956.28).

As a card member for 19 plus years I've never had any issues with American Express, in fact I've always found the service to be absolutely impeccable. Issues are inevitable and that's why I'm reaching out to ask for your help to resolve this. I feel since I was directed by an American Express customer care person to check out of the hotel I should not be responsible to pay for the first nights stay. If I had not been advised, I would have never checked out.

Please help me resolve this as I would like to continue using all the amazing services American Express has to offer. All I ask is that American Express resolves the $239.07 cost as well as not charging for my yearly membership fee of $195 as a good measure gesture to a 19 plus year card member for all of the trouble and stress caused by this dispute over the last 9 months.

Also in doing my do diligence, I will be sending you this correspondence via US certified mail to ensure you receive notice of my ongoing dispute. In addition I’ve attached for your reference the letter I sent to American Express customer care on 4/23/18.

Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here's a 1st draft of a letter to Amex. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Greg

I'm writing you today as I have an ongoing dispute with American Express since 9/5/17. I have tried on many occasions to rectify the situation with the American Express customer care department, but they have unfortunately not been able to remedy this issue. As a card member for 19 plus years I feel like I have no other choice but to escalate the situation and contact you for assistance.

On 8/2/17 I booked a room through Hotels.com using my American Express card in the amount of $956.28. Upon check in on 9/5/17 I wasn't given the “Premium Apartment” I booked through the Hotels.com site. In speaking with the manager of the hotel they informed me that the room I was given was the room I booked and in addition the hotel was fully booked with no more available rooms during our dates booked. I tried to contact Hotels.com directly via my cell phone, but unfortunately with a wait time of 40 minutes while overseas I proceeded to contact them through their messenger program on their website. After not hearing back from Hotels.com after leaving a message with my call back info, I decided to call American Express directly for guidance. When speaking with a customer care agent I was directed to file a dispute against Hotels.com and check out of the hotel since there was nothing the hotel could do and since I wasn't able to get in contact with a customer care agent at Hotels.com.

For the last 9 months I've been disputing this charge through American Express with my dispute being turn down each time for multiple reasons. Most recently I've reached out to Hotels.com on my own and they have decided to only charge me for the first night stay ($239.07) and not the total amount ($956.28).

As a card member for 19 plus years I've never had any issues with American Express, in fact I've always found the service to be absolutely impeccable. Issues are inevitable and that's why I'm reaching out to ask for your help to resolve this. I feel since I was directed by an American Express customer care person to check out of the hotel I should not be responsible to pay for the first nights stay. If I had not been advised, I would have never checked out.

Please help me resolve this as I would like to continue using all the amazing services American Express has to offer. All I ask is that American Express resolves the $239.07 cost as well as not charging for my yearly membership fee of $195 as a good measure gesture to a 19 plus year card member for all of the trouble and stress caused by this dispute over the last 9 months.

Also in doing my do diligence, I will be sending you this correspondence via US certified mail to ensure you receive notice of my ongoing dispute. In addition I’ve attached for your reference the letter I sent to American Express customer care on 4/23/18.

Thank you
It's an excellent letter.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Greg

Thank you
Excellent letter ... I read it rapidly with no issues, grasping exactly what has happened (that's my test for a good complaint letter). LOVE your request to waive your annual fee ... extremely clever. You deserve something for this sturm & drang they've put you through, and waiving the fee is much easier for them than giving you a statement credit or cash. If you attached anything to your email, send your email again because sometimes communications with attachments get discarded without reading them. Please don't forget to let us know the outcome.

May 31, 2018
I got a response from Amex, below is their email in blue. Hopefully I receive the outcome I would like. Thanks again all!

Dear Eytan Gutman,

Thank you for contacting the Executive Offices of American Express.

The Executive Offices of American Express has received your message and we are reviewing your inquiry. We will do everything we can to address your concerns. We are always striving to improve the products and services we provide to our customers and your feedback is valuable to us. Once we complete our review, we will be sure to contact you with an update.

Regards,

American Express Executive Assist