1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

American Basic Economy Change

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by hannah_burk221, Dec 8, 2017.

1. hannah_burk221

Hello,

My sister recently booked a flight on American in basic economy. She understood when booking that there were restrictions on luggage and that no refunds or changes were possible. However, we did need to change her flight by a day so she just went ahead and bought a new flight, due to the policy of no changes. Our mom is now telling us to call customer service and fight for a refund. This seems like a crappy thing to do, since we bought the ticket knowing the policy full well. I guess I’m wondering if trying to call and get a refund or just having to pay the difference between the two flights is worth it? Her new flight is the next day also on American. Is it worth even trying? It doesn’t seem fair to call them and complain when we knew what we were signing up for. If anyone has experience with this your input would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

2. johnbaker

johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@hannah_burk221 I commend you and your sister for following the rules of the fare you bought, understanding the risks and then accepting your fate.

Having said that, if you don't ask, the answer is always no. A polite note accepting responsibility for what's happened and asking for a credit (I wouldn't ask for a refund) might get you some where. You'll definitely be ahead of today in the best case and worse case is you get a no.

jsn55, Patina and technomage1 like this.
  3. Christina H

Hannah is there some compelling reason that you can mention as to why the ticket needed to be changed?

Or why your mother suggested asking for a refund?

I have to admit that I agree with you about it not being a great thing to do to ask for a refund.
    Your sister is very likely not going to get a refund -- unless the ticket was eligible for the 24 hour cancellation. I do think airlines rarely refund these types of fares. If airlines kept refunding the fares no one would pay for the more expensive flexible ticket.

By looking at social media posts it seems that AA takes a hard line on these basic economy fares.

As John Baker suggested, a polite letter may get a partial voucher.

4. Its Not Me

make sure you are not using the return portion of the ticket. . . . if Ticket A was for 12/20-12/27 - and you are not going to use the 12/20 and needed to change it to 12/21, and bought ticket A for 12/21 planning to use the other ticket for the return - you are going to lose the entire ticket.

If that is the case you need to call AA right now and see what they can do for you - there is no reason to lose the entire ticket- and they should be able to fix it so the abandoned leg does not show up as a no show cancelling the entire ticket

Neil likes this.
  5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Your sister should definitely give AA a call to see if they can help. If the outbound flight is part of a round-trip tix, the whole trip will be cancelled unless she can get some assistance from American. It will all need to be set up just so. I also would like to know why your mother thinks a refund is possible from a basic economy tix.

Neil likes this.
  6. hannah_burk221

Hi all,

Thank you for all of the responses. They have been very helpful.

I called American for my sister and they stuck to the basic economy policy- there’s nothing they can do. Admittedly, I wasn’t very forceful, as I felt it was rather rude and silly to be calling when I felt I already knew the answer. But as John Baker said, if you don’t ask then the answer will always be no.

The reason for the change was some logistical changes with a legal, courthouse marriage date. While I’d say that’s a fairly compelling reason, I just don’t think it qualifies for a refund. My mother wanted us to fight for it because she is the don’t take no for an answer type, especially when money is involved. But we knew the policy and that’s the risk you take with getting a cheap ticket. Oh well! It was certainly worth calling to check, but it’s not right for me to call up and yell at some poor soul working in a call center when I know darn well I’m the one who is wrong.

Also- thank you to it’s not me and jsn55 for the warning about full trip cancellations! I had no idea that was the case. Luckily she needed to change her second flight to go back home, so this won’t affect her flight to me.

Thank you so much again for your help! This is a great resource that I have only just discovered but I will be back!

Patina and Carrie Livingston like this.
  7. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@hannah_burk221 how refreshing for us to read that someone is taking responsibility for the terms of the fare they chose! If only more people could be like you.......but, we would probably have little to do on this forum :D

I bet your maturity serves you well in the future, happy holidays!

Its Not Me and krisseye like this.
  8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

This is the reason why you must twice before purchasing such restrictive tickets. Somethings it doesn’t pay for saving a few dollars. And it isn’t that much between basic economy and regular economy.

We always say it never hurts to ask but if they say no- you’ll know what. I was certain they were going to say no but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Make sure she understands stands if she is not on the outgoing flight, she will not have a return flight back- you forfeit the return flight of you aren’t on the outgoing. She had to buy a whole new round trip ticket.

9. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Neil, she bought a whole new round trip ticket, not just an outbound ticket.

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

We would love to see you back, Hannah, but as a contributor, not a problem. Common sense, communication and honesty are at a premium these days, and I'll bet you'd enjoy advising travellers who get themselves into a pickle. Have a great Christmas!

Neil likes this.