1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

American Airlines giving seat away

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by Weronika, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty T

He was Concierge Key but the fact they did it without asking is the issue

Trust me I will get my pound of flesh in bad publicity for AA

2. Its Not Me

wow, you're EXP and the bumped your seats - or at least your GF seat?

This guy must have been way way above Concierge Key - I cannot imagine a corporate officer pulling that and having the cojones to brag about it - easy way to get the axe. So it really must have been someone who got the inflight visit to award them the black card . . .

3. Marty T

They offered me $300 voucher or 25k miles so I told them to shove it

4. Christina H

I hate to say this but most people will roll their eyes at a social media campaign about someone on a mileage ticket being moved from one row to another.

I do not think that many will sign the petition "Justice for my girlfriend who was moved to a different First Class Seat and she hates the Bulkhead".

And as for the pound of flesh comment -- no one was legally entitled to a particular seat, just a class of service.

I think the OP has an unreasonable expectation-- thinking that the Airline would ask before moving a seat. Hating the bulkhead is not a protected disability.

jsn55, Patina, ADM and 2 others like this.
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

6. Marty T

I am glad you don’t work for the Airline

You probably don’t travel too much

I don’t think it is right to move someone for a reason that someone wants the seat

If someone asks me to move on the plane I won’t do it from now on

Will not help AA

I am in the top 5% of miles of all AA Flyers

7. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I'm flying in march and I have been moved 4 times, so far. We started in the middle of the plane and are all pretty much sitting in the lavatory, in the back of the plane, now. It's going to be cramped, but at least peeing will be effortless.

The one thing that has been consistent is hat they are moving all 4 of us together. The reason we are all being moved to different seats together is that I linked our two separate reservations to each other.

Were your tickets not linked?

jsn55, TropicalRichmond and Neil like this.
  8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

She is absolutely a frequent traveler and a valued contributor here.

jsn55 and TropicalRichmond like this.
  9. Its Not Me

@Marty T - actually EXP is the top 0.2% of all members of the Aadvantage Program - you are prob more like 5% of the people on board the airplane in any given week.

I know that as Platinum Pro myself - we are in the top 10% of all people on board AA airplanes in a given week - thus - we're not all that special. Because we fly more - we are a bigger proportion of people on any given flight.

I was on a flight from JFK-LAX last month and an FA whom I've known since college told that everyone in F was Platinum or above, no revenue F tickets. 60% of those in Business class were platinum or above - and there were 43 people on the upgrade list . . .

Think about that for a minute. I'm sure if you're flying from DFW to Des Moines the numbers are lower but on the big routes - lots of frequent fliers.

jsn55, Patina and Neil like this.
  10. Marty T

We were linked and 1st class only has 8 seats

One guy wanted 3 across and he got what he wanted

Airlines have too much power

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I happen to agree with you that it isn’t right but according to the DOT seat assignments are not guaranteed so they can do whatever they want with the seats.

I am betting if you actually paid for the seats and not used miles, they would not have moved you. You aren’t given top priority when you use miles- others can come before you.

jsn55 and Patina like this.
  12. Marty T

I agree with you if it was a paid ticket it might have been different but no excuse for lieing to me

I will never help AA again

13. Marty T

If you guys are right why don’t we ever see people getting switched at the Airport without permission

Why would they lie to me if they are allowed to do what they want?

14. Just A Guy

An an EXP, you're probably higher than that. Problem was, AA had to choose between accommodating you (a valuable customer) and a CK member (a REALLY valuable customer), and they chose to accommodate the really valuable customer. It didn't help that you were on mileage tickets but the CK member was (apparently) on paid F tickets.

Neil likes this.
  15. Just A Guy

No idea why they lied to you. Maybe the rep didn't know, made something up, or just didn't want to admit the truth.

That said, people do get their seats switched. It doesn't happen that often, but it certainly does happen.

I could certainly understand it if you decided you wanted to move your business to another carrier. AA made a business decision, and you're entirely free to make one as well.

jsn55, krisseye, Neil and 1 other person like this.
  16. Its Not Me

If you decide to move your business - Delta Platinum Medallion is comparable to AA EXP. They'll match you for 3 months too - fly as little as 3 RT's in F on certain routes and get to keep it the rest of the year.

Delta Diamond is closer to CK.

Make sure you tell AA why you're leaving. Maybe they'll think twice next time.

sas80 and Patina like this.
  17. Marty T

Great idea as I can just fly AA on Mileage awards and fly Delta on Paid tickets
    I used to Fly Delta a lot but stopped years ago
    I have been Exec Platinum since before it was an official title

18. Marty T

Everyone we talked to said the Seat was Broken which wasn't the case
    At least tell me the Truth

sas80 and Neil like this.
  19. Christina H

I am a 1K with UA which is the equivalent in status. And I have lower Flying Blue status. At the same time.

My paid seats have been moved. One was moved on Wednesday. I lost my window chosen when the ticket was bought and I was moved back two rows from row 1 to 3. And no one asked me about it. Was I thrilled? No. Is it that significant or traumatizing? No. Did I decide to go on a social media campaign or demand a pound of flesh? No.

By keeping my expectations realistic I am less likely to be disappointed.

jsn55, krisseye and Neil like this.
  20. Just A Guy

Agreed on telling AA. That said, Delta Diamond is equivalent to EXP (the highest "ordinary" tier). Delta 360 is comparable to CK (need both a lot of flying and a lot of spend as well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.