American Airlines Customer Relations need help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2015
Pete - I am so sorry this happened to you and your wife. However, aside from the FA rushing you along and the medicine going missing, AA is not at fault for what happened with your wife, unless you can prove proximity. Even then, you are stretching it super thin as you called a doctor, explained the situation and were given what the doctor believed to be appropriate medications.

I will give an example of what I think would possibly cause AA to be liable. A person has an epi pen in their carry-on, FA takes the bag away without even giving the person a second to get the medicine out, even as said person says wait, I have meds in there. Person then has an allergic reaction to something on board during the flight, and suffers harm due to not having direct access to meds. In this case, I believe AA would be at fault. Same would be for an asthmatic who had an inhaler in the carry on that got carted off.

Taking the example a bit further, if the person flew without a hitch other than the carry-on being taken away, then arrives and finds the epi pen missing, goes and gets a replacement and days later has an allergic reaction and finds the replacement epi pen did not work as effectively, I am not sure AA is still liable. What exactly did AA due to cause the meds to not work correctly, or interact poorly with other meds?

I don't think you can prove that AA should have known that 15 days after the meds went missing that a person would presumably have a bad reaction to other meds they willingly took. From your other responses, it does not appear that a doctor is willing to say that your wife's condition had anything to do with the medicine she took in Mexico, so I am also confused as to why you think AA should pay the medical bills to begin with. If I am misunderstanding this, then please let me know.

Most doctor offices, even when they are going to be gone, leave someone at the office to contact in an emergency, that will have access to medical files when necessary. If I have special medicines, and know I will be traveling out of country and also that my doctor will be out of town, I would make sure to know how to replace prescriptions.

Sometimes things happen, companies have employees that make mistakes, etc., but that doesn't mean that they are liable for every outcome under the sun. I would follow Neil's advice in his letter. I do think it is extrememly important that FA's (any flight personnel) know that if you are having to gate check a bag to allow for time to get out medicines and valuables. I think some education and training should be provided to the FA's, but do not think AA owes you any money.

Pete what we are telling you from experience is that by asking for too much the request will be ignored.

We do not have more knowledge about the incident. We are relying on your words that the medication from Mexico had nothing to do with the hospitalization 5 days after returning. And as you are specifically asking to be reimbursed for the copay and ambulance charges from that hospitalization so there has to be a cause and effect. AA did a forced gate check -- no dispute there. The flight attendant barked orders -- I do not doubt that -- Medications were missing -- absolutely. New prescription medicines had to be purchased and then you returned home. Five days later wife was hospitalized.

But to ask for compensation for expenses one has to ask for reimbursement for expenses that were incurred because of having to get new medicines. And you said yourself that the foreign medication was not the cause of the hospitalization.

You are contradicting yourself by saying the Mexican medications did not cause the hospitalization and then saying AA is responsible for the hospitalization.
May I say something more which i forgot to mention .Upon the hospital testing the results showed there was some sort of opioid that was in her system. As she did not have the Oxycodone and TYLEX CD which has tyenol and codine. And this medication is considered an opioid may have caused the wife to have an allergic reaction to it. .

Sincerely
Pete and Carol

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You would need a statement from your doctor stating this but again you have an issue of you going to a Mexican doctor on your own. However, a statement would definitely help your cause. But you can’t just say the doctor said it- you need official documentation.

If that were the case- I’m sure a lawyer would jump on this immediately. You need to show without a doubt the hospitalization resulted from the mishap with the meds.

You would need a statement from your doctor stating this but again you have an issue of you going to a Mexican doctor on your own. However, a statement would definitely help your cause. But you can’t just say the doctor said it- you need official documentation.

If that were the case- I’m sure a lawyer would jump on this immediately. You need to show without a doubt the hospitalization resulted from the mishap with the meds.
Understand very well Neil.

Thank You
Pete&Carol

May 16, 2018
I do not like what air travel has become; rapid turnaround of planes, charging for everything, cramped and horrible seats. But part of getting a successful resolution is to address the problem reasonably. The airline's contract gives themselves the right to check carry ons; arguing anything else is not credible and will not lead to any sort of satisfactory resolution. The fact that this is disclosed on the website would make any other argument specious.
Hi Christina, I cut some of your text, but agree completely. My point was more that it isn't unreasonable for people who are not frequent fliers to have the expectation that the fact that they paid for a carry-on would allow them a carry-on. With this in mind, if carry-ons need to be checked due to a full flight, small plane, or other reason, I feel strongly that it is the responsibility of the FAs to alert people at the gate, before they start boarding, that there isn't enough space, so that passengers have the advance notice and the time to grab essentials like meds out of their carry-ons. If the FAs always did this before boarding, it would be less surprising and stressful for everyone involved, including the FAs. What I have witnessed---FAs hurriedly grabbing bags after people have already boarded and found their seats---should change.

I also maintain that a little kindness goes a long way. I can assure you that it would take the flight crew less time to inform the passenger in a nice way and give the surprised passenger a few minutes to grab the necessary items that it takes to be harsh to the passenger who then feels robbed and on the defensive, clutches at his or her bag, and begins to argue and plead, holding up the boarding process. You would call it hand-holding. I'm all in favor. It's actually faster.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Here goes Jan55. Please edit or add your comments please.
Dear Sir,
I am trying to reach out to someone that will actually understand the severity of my claim on what happened on an American Airlines flight # 2567, with a locator of XXXXXX departing from Portland International airport ,,,
on March 21, 2018 to DFW, and a ticket number: XXXCCC with a departure time of 5:30 a.m. then transferring to a flight to Cancun Mexico from DFW at 12:35 p.m. Flight number:2684.

The incident took place at Portland International airport . Both my wife and I had 3 bags. Two of them were checked and the third was to be a carry-on .
We arrived at the gate and was waiting for our group to board. Being group 8 we were the last to board. The gate attendant asked me to place our carry-on in the sizer? He assured us that it was good to go as a carry-on . As time passed our group was called to board.
As we set foot into the cabin of the aircraft one of the flight attendants made the statement that the flight was becoming full and that our carry-on now had to be checked and was taken and now being placed in the belly of the aircraft .
My wife made it very clear that her much needed medications were in her carry-on and had to be with her . . Your flight attendant did not allow time for my wife to retrieve her much needed medications . The attendant also stated to us and other passengers awaiting to board saying "let's go, let's go. At one time the attendant made a comment that we were holding up others to board.

It was not until we got to the hotel that it was time to take some of the medications . It was then she observed her much needed medications were lost at the airport in Cancun .
We were now at the mercy of finding a doctor that spoke and understood English. We were able to find one the next day and the doctor was able to fill her medications. Do note that these were not over the counter medications but actually prescribed medications.

We arrived home on March 30th . On April 5th her daughter came down to our home and found my wife unresponsive . She called 911 to get an ambulance to transport my wife to the ER. With IV's and a breathing tube it was a real horrible site. That evening she was then taken to the ICU and still hooked up to a ventilator and IV's still in place. It was not until April 8th she became responsive and later discharged on April on April 9th . I will also state that her missing medications had nothing to do with her hospitalization.

I strongly believe that this incident should have never happened . Your flight attendant was in the wrong by not allowing my wife tIme to retrieve her much needed medications . I also feel that a on time departure was far more important and getting other passengers to their seats so that the aircraft was ready for departure .

Upon arriving home I did call lost and found at the Cancun Airport and was informed by the attendant nothing was found in the time we were there. However we did recieve a card from your lost and found warehouse at DFW post marked AprIL 30th that belonged to my wife. She called on May 4th or 5th and my wife called to verify that she had actually lost her medications . They were then mailed to her from DFW as medications cannot be mailed from Mexico.

I am asking you to seriously look st the severity of our claim as this was a horrible ordeal my wife went through . Your customers safety is very important and our claim is just one of many you receive . Surely an on time departure is not as important as the life of a loved one.. Again this incicdent should have never happened . I do look forward that you folks make every effort to reimburse us for our co-pays for her hospital stay totaling $1,028.00, the ambulance transportation cost of $250.00 , pain and suffering totaling $2,500.00 plus two return tickets back to, Cancun, Mexico from Portland Oregon .( PDX )

Sincerely

Pete and Carol

Note: edited by a moderator to remove record locator and ticket number.
I'll get on this first thing in the morning, Pete. I think we can shorten it up a bit. I just sent you a private conversation.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Jane4321 I truly dislike airtravel today. I do not look forward to it at all, I think I would prefer a tax audit. I love being in different places though just loathe getting there.

I think airlines are in the race to the bottom. to be as cramped and penny pinching as possible. And I agree that the employees should be nicer, but what I have observed is the pressure from upper management frustrates the staff and they are stressed and kindness disappears. Add the fact that many of the front line so called employees at the airport are not really employees, but are working for a subcontractor (Swissport, Menzies, etc) and often have lousy pay, well there is another problem. But air travel is really inexpensive compared to what it used to be, but the lower cost has come at a price, and that is comfort and customer service. Customers want low cost (otherwise why would Spirit exist?) and shareholders want more profit --- and now we have a poor system.

I think of cattle being rounded up to be put in a cattle car and that is what boarding process seems like. I keep my expectations low -- and hope that I am pleasantly surprised but it is not often that it happens.

I have gotten some considerations from the airlines -- change fees waved, things like that, but there have been other times that the way things have been managed at the airport have been exasperating. My luggage has been delayed, I have had forced gate check, involuntary denied boarding (for weights and balance, really makes one self conscious), missed connections, luggage destroyed and missing contents, it came out on the carousel with my clothing in various separate bins......... and yes I have complained, but always requested something reasonable; and I only blamed the airline for what was truly within their control, so no complaints when a snowstorm blankets the area and such.

I have no choice but to use airplanes in my current line of work.

Many foreign airlines are militant is looking at carry on baggage -- they not only have size limits but weight limits. Many foreign airlines have even smaller allowances for the size of carry on luggage. Maybe that is what needs to happen.

But given the current state of air travel one has to take care of themselves as the airlines likely will not.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree 100% with this statement and if they had done this you wouldn't have experienced what you did. Which is why you need to point that out in your letter.

Hopefully jsn can edit the letter even more than I did to help.

Hi Christina, I cut some of your text, but agree completely. My point was more that it isn't unreasonable for people who are not frequent fliers to have the expectation that the fact that they paid for a carry-on would allow them a carry-on. With this in mind, if carry-ons need to be checked due to a full flight, small plane, or other reason, I feel strongly that it is the responsibility of the FAs to alert people at the gate, before they start boarding, that there isn't enough space, so that passengers have the advance notice and the time to grab essentials like meds out of their carry-ons. If the FAs always did this before boarding, it would be less surprising and stressful for everyone involved, including the FAs. What I have witnessed---FAs hurriedly grabbing bags after people have already boarded and found their seats---should change.

I also maintain that a little kindness goes a long way. I can assure you that it would take the flight crew less time to inform the passenger in a nice way and give the surprised passenger a few minutes to grab the necessary items that it takes to be harsh to the passenger who then feels robbed and on the defensive, clutches at his or her bag, and begins to argue and plead, holding up the boarding process. You would call it hand-holding. I'm all in favor. It's actually faster.

Sep 19, 2015
And remember Neil there was a case here where the gate agents forced check in and there was space available and the person's belongings got damaged and she had photos that showed the the available space in the overhead..

I do not fly AA so I have no idea if the airline routinely gives the warning that those in last boarding groups may have to gate check the bags but I have heard it a few time at LGA when AA is at a neighboring gate. The airlines I fly tend to say it whether the flight is full or not, but honestly I am not always listening so it may not always be said.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Pete, I have reviewed your letter very carefully and edited it to be more concise. I am sorry that I do not see any monetary responsibility on the part of AA. I can't tie Carol's collapse to the medications from Mexico. An attorney might be able to find the evidence, but it still would be tough to pin this awful situation on AA. I am going to paste my draft here; if you want it as an attachment, just let me know. You can add the final paragraph about what you are requesting as compensation.

We have all encountered FAs who behave like robots and it is most distressing. While I understand the reasons for their behaviour, nothing will be done until management makes the decision to allow them to actually take care of passengers. My heart goes out to you both and I hope Carol continues to do well.

Dear Sir,
I am requesting assistance with an issue on DATE with AA flight # 2567, record locator XXXXXX, Portland-DFW and #2684 DFW-Cancun. At boarding in Portland, we were in Group 8. The gate agent sized our carry-on and approved it. As we entered the aircraft, the flight attendant told us that it had to be gate-checked.

My wife made it very clear that her medications were in her carry-on and needed to be with her. The flight attendant insisted we check the carry-on. She did not allow us time to take out the medications. When we arrived at our Cancun hotel, her medications were missing. We found a doctor the next day who issued prescriptions for her meds. We arrived home on March 30 without incident. My wife had a severe reaction a week later and was unresponsive and in ICU for three days.

I strongly believe that this incident should have never happened. An on-time departure seemed to be much more important to your crew than the safety of your passengers. I am requesting that AA make an investigation into this incident and give your employees more training on how to handle passengers’ needs. While there is no evidence that the meds obtained in Mexico had any bearing on her collapse, it was a most horrible ordeal. This ordeal could have been avoided if 1) the gate agent had warned us that our carry-on would likely need to be gate-checked and 2) the FA had allowed us five minutes to transfer the meds into a bag to take with us to our seats.

Mar 17, 2015
Pete, I have reviewed your letter very carefully and edited it to be more concise. I am sorry that I do not see any monetary responsibility on the part of AA. I can't tie Carol's collapse to the medications from Mexico. An attorney might be able to find the evidence, but it still would be tough to pin this awful situation on AA. I am going to paste my draft here; if you want it as an attachment, just let me know. You can add the final paragraph about what you are requesting as compensation.

We have all encountered FAs who behave like robots and it is most distressing. While I understand the reasons for their behaviour, nothing will be done until management makes the decision to allow them to actually take care of passengers. My heart goes out to you both and I hope Carol continues to do well.

Dear Sir,
I am requesting assistance with an issue on DATE with AA flight # 2567, record locator XXXXXX, Portland-DFW and #2684 DFW-Cancun. At boarding in Portland, we were in Group 8. The gate agent sized our carry-on and approved it. As we entered the aircraft, the flight attendant told us that it had to be gate-checked.

My wife made it very clear that her medications were in her carry-on and needed to be with her. The flight attendant insisted we check the carry-on. She did not allow us time to take out the medications. When we arrived at our Cancun hotel, her medications were missing. We found a doctor the next day who issued prescriptions for her meds. We arrived home on March 30 without incident. My wife had a severe reaction a week later and was unresponsive and in ICU for three days.

I strongly believe that this incident should have never happened. An on-time departure seemed to be much more important to your crew than the safety of your passengers. I am requesting that AA make an investigation into this incident and give your employees more training on how to handle passengers’ needs. While there is no evidence that the meds obtained in Mexico had any bearing on her collapse, it was a most horrible ordeal. This ordeal could have been avoided if 1) the gate agent had warned us that our carry-on would likely need to be gate-checked and 2) the FA had allowed us five minutes to transfer the meds into a bag to take with us to our seats.
JSN - only an incompetent attorney or a very in-experienced one could tie this to AA without the medical evidence stating otherwise. It would almost be considered a frivolous claim as too much time passed between the losing of the medicine and the hospitalization. This is not my area of expertise, but the causation is just not there. It is not AA's fault that she accepted a different medicine to continue on with the vacation that possibly caused a side effect over 2 weeks later.

Jun 27, 2017
Pete and Carol ... I've read all the posts and I empathize with not the only the encounter with the surly FA, but also the astonishment of the missing meds once you got to Cancun. But even greater than those mishaps, I think you may be dealing with post-traumatic stress. You nearly lost Carol, the woman whom you love dearly. As someone who once had a spouse in ICU I felt very frightened and alone, even though relatives and friends were there. It is wonderful that Carol is doing better and hope you both are able to travel without incidents in the future.

I think JNS55 prepared a thoughtful, concise letter that I hope you strongly consider sending to the AA contacts listed on this site.

Flying has become the worse part of any travel experience. You can feel the tense mood at almost every major airport. Most FAs are cordial, but their friendliness is gone. They are pushed to the max to get the planes loaded with passengers and their bags (often too big/too stuffed) in more seats and less bin space. And pilots push them to get going because schedules are so tight. A few minutes late in departure may mean losing a takeoff slot and then it's to the back of the line. Their pay is low for what they have to do, especially when it comes to handling unruly passengers who punch, kick and tackle them because they are inebriated, on drugs (the illegal kind) or off their meds, or all three. Google Unruly Plane Passengers and you'll see frightening scenes at 30,000+ feet.

I hope you feel the volunteer advocates helped you get through this dark period in your lives. Sometimes, their responses may seem blunt. But they truly want to help. They have enlightened me and invariably I always learn something by coming here. Better days are ahead.

Last edited:
For future travel, it is a good idea to take photos of your RX pill containers and/or prescriptions on your cell phones, so you have them available to show a doctor or pharmacist if necessary.
Thank you response AMA. Trust me it was the most horrific event I had seen ever. By the way we did have a list of medications she takes but unfortunately all but one is not available in Mexico . That being Oxycodone . As this particular medication is not available my wife was prescribed Tylex CD . This is an opiate just as Oxycodone is Perhaps
she might have had an allergic reaction for all the others they were available and not bought OTC.
Thank you for your sincere thought my friend and hope that the executives take a real close look at the severity of this incident .
Cheers
Pete & Carol

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you response AMA. Trust me it was the most horrific event I had seen ever. By the way we did have a list of medications she takes but unfortunately all but one is not available in Mexico . That being Oxycodone . As this particular medication is not available my wife was prescribed Tylex CD . This is an opiate just as Oxycodone is Perhaps
she might have had an allergic reaction for all the others they were available and not bought OTC.
Thank you for your sincere thought my friend and hope that the executives take a real close look at the severity of this incident .
Cheers
Pete & Carol
Hi Pete, my response and edited draft are posted above ... between Tanya and Christina. Scroll up and you will see if from 1139 this morning. I wish we could do more for you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
JSN - only an incompetent attorney or a very in-experienced one could tie this to AA without the medical evidence stating otherwise. It would almost be considered a frivolous claim as too much time passed between the losing of the medicine and the hospitalization. This is not my area of expertise, but the causation is just not there. It is not AA's fault that she accepted a different medicine to continue on with the vacation that possibly caused a side effect over 2 weeks later.
Pete already asked attorneys about this and was told they wouldn’t take the case. If there was- an attorney would have been on it in a heartbeat.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Exactly. The only thing AA should reimburse them for is the cost of the dr. In Mexico and the meds they had to buy.

Exactly. The only thing AA should reimburse them for is the cost of the dr. In Mexico and the meds they had to buy.
I don't wish to argue about this incident Neil Maley . I will still stay strong with how we feel about this incident . The flight attendant should and could have allowed my wife time to retrieve her medications from her carry-on . The flight attendant was pressured to get the passengers on the plane quickly and to make sure the plane was ready to depart on time .it would have taken 3 minutes total for her to retrieve them .The end result is that her medications were lost or maybe
stolen at the airport in Cancun . As I told you her medications never surfaced until sometime after we left Cancun which was March 30th. Interesting .
Pete and Carol

Sep 19, 2015
Pete AA is pushing this on time arrival and the scheduling is so tight, that the flight attendants are ordering people around. These directives come from upper management and the situation is very stressful for passengers, There has to be a better way to do the boarding process, I just cannot think of what it would be under the current system.

I suspect the medications may have been pulled by customs upon arrival, especially if nothing else was missing. From the US Embassy in Mexico

It is illegal to bring into Mexico some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers) or codeine are prohibited.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/information-regarding-bringing-medications-into-mexico/

You can buy things in Mexico, but they have to be prescribed by the dr there and filled in a pharmacy there, which you did.

I do hope that the airline does think about the rushed boarding process and considers a method so this is not an ongoing problem/

Pete AA is pushing this on time arrival and the scheduling is so tight, that the flight attendants are ordering people around. These directives come from upper management and the situation is very stressful for passengers, There has to be a better way to do the boarding process, I just cannot think of what it would be under the current system.

I suspect the medications may have been pulled by customs upon arrival, especially if nothing else was missing. From the US Embassy in Mexico

It is illegal to bring into Mexico some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers) or codeine are prohibited.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/information-regarding-bringing-medications-into-mexico/

You can buy things in Mexico, but they have to be prescribed by the dr there and filled in a pharmacy there, which you did.

I do hope that the airline does think about the rushed boarding process and considers a method so this is not an ongoing problem/
So very true Christina H. The airline companies and yes including American Airlines must focus on thei safety of their passengers than rushing passengers to board and get them seated quickly.for an on time departure . As I stated it would have only taken my wife 3 minutes to retrieve her much needed medications . As I stated her medications were either lost or stolen and must have taken place shortly after we had left Cancun on March 30th . I don't want to beat this into the ground but I strongly feel the incident that took place should have never happened and could have been prevented . American Airlines there is no reason why you wouldn't allow my wife time to retrieve her much needed medications . I am talking 3 minutes maximum .
Wow.
Sincerely
Pete and Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.