American Airlines Customer Relations need help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2018
My husband and I are by no means frequent flyers...but there have been enough stories out there (and enough experience at the airport) that have allowed us to plan our carry on strategy carefully. Everything and anything that is an absolute necessity goes in my purse (albeit a slightly larger one than I normally carry) that will always fit under the seat in front of me. This way there is no chance I will be separated from these items if we are asked to gate check any other carry on baggage...and we have had that happen on more than one occasion. As a matter of fact, on our last vacation this past March announcements were made well before boarding began that the flight was full, and anyone in boarding groups 7 and 8 would be required to gate-check their carry-on, taking only their personal item that would fit under the seat. This gave people time to shift what they needed to shift.

In reading your letter draft, you say " The attendant also stated to us and other passengers awaiting to board saying "let's go, let's go. At one time the attendant made a comment that we were holding up others to board."...which implies that you may not have considered stepping aside to let the others board ahead of you, and had you done that you WOULD have had time to pull medications out. Be aware that AA may respond in that manner, saying that you had the time but chose not to take it.

Apr 10, 2017
You state that the missing medications had nothing to do with her hospitalization but your request for compensation implies otherwise. AA isn't going to give you what you're requesting. In fact, if you don't temper your expectations your letter is likely to be ignored altogether. Even if the missing medications were indeed directly responsible it would have to be proven in a court of law. You are asking for way too much and it's all predicated on a lot of assumptions. I'm sorry your wife didn't have her medications and I'm sure it was difficult. I promise I'm not being unsympathetic. I'm just being objective and putting myself in the position of the AA person who reads that letter.

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
The solution to this entire problem is upon arriving at the gate to politely ask the gate attendant if you can preboard. I always do this and have never been refused. I, also, put meds, jewelry, and whatever else I do not want to chance losing in my carryon. It is not worth the risk of having to have the back checked, especially on a flight where you have to change planes.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ok- if I were reading that letter, here is what my questions would be:

Why are you asking me to pay for the things you are asking me to pay for? Did the hospital diagnosis state that this happened because we lost the medication? How does this relate to the missing meds? You need a letter from a doctor stating this hospitalization was a direct result of the missing meds and not your decision to see a Mexican doctor who gave you different meds. If that is the case- you should be suing the Mexican doctor who prescribed the
Why are you asking for the bills you are requesting to be reimbursed? Did your insurance not pay those? State why you are asking for the reimbursement. If the missing meds have nothing to do with her hospitalization- why are you asking for anything other than educating the FAs ? You have no case.

Tickets to go back? That isn’t goung to happen. The airline did what they were contracted to do- take you there and back. They don’t owe you new tickets. I would suggest removing that as it takes away from the real problem which is the FA not giving you time to remove the meds.

Your focus should be in re-educating the FAs. Please keep in mind that you bear some of the responsibility in this because you went to a Mexican doctor and your wife took meds that they prescribed. The right thing to have done was to call your doctor at home as soon as you knew the meds were missing and asking what you should do. Then you would have the proof you need that you followed a course of action that might have resulted in a different outcome.

Again - I am looking at this as what an executive would say reading this in proving that all of this was a direct result of the loss of meds. This is why you can’t find a lawyer to take the case I suspect because you can’t prove without a doubt the direct result of this to the meds and that some of the problem wasn’t caused by going to a doctor in Mexico.

I showed your story to my wife and she said this was an eye opener to her on what could happen if she were in your wife’s shoes. She also had not idea something like this could happen by mixing meds.

@Justaguy was a judge- he could probably give you a better explanation of what you need to prove damages.

May 16, 2018
If you want to split hairs, here we go...

The non basic economy fare says one can bring carry on at no extra charge. It does not say that the carry on will fly in the cabin or be accommodated in the cabin.

Ever fly a regional jet where the overhead bins barely hold a loaf of wonder bread? Well I have and my smaller than regulation size carry on would not fit and my ticket included carry on. Since my bag was rigid it would not fit in. So what did I do? Got out of the way and opened my bag and took out the computer and other important things. I had no idea of the layout of this plane and how small the overhead compartments were. And since I was rerouted for cancellation I had zero time to check.

If passengers are still boarding there is time to take out medications. The key is to step out of the line and go open the bag. Do not hold up the line. Where you ask? To the right of the plane door on the jet bridge, the place where the gate checked bags are placed. Or to the left....there is room.

It is regrettable that there are not enough overhead spaces but that is the way it is. There is no hand holding in travel one has to think and be prepared.

Hi Christina, Thanks for responding!
I see what you are saying, but honestly, if we are to split hairs, I should point out the word "carry-on" is defined as a bag that you carry on board the plane. That's why it's called a carry-on. This is distinguished from checked bags, which do not come inside the cabin, and which go into the cargo hold.

I might add that there is no text on the ticket (I'm holding an AA ticket) or in the written text that appears when you select your fare that the carry-on you have paid for may suddenly be denied. I could not even find such language on the website, but anyway, I can't imagine a person searching the website for information that contradicts the contract language on the ticket.

Regarding your statement that passengers have time to take out meds if the plane is still boarding, I respectfully disagree. In the cases I described, the passengers were already inside the plane, at their seats, trying to stow their bags when the FAs literally grabbed the bags, and did not want to give the passengers any time to get meds and valuables out.

As for the regional jets with the tiny overheads where everyone's carry-on is gate-checked, I would like to point out that these gate-checked bags are not put with the regular checked baggage, nor are they sent to the baggage claim. They are handed right back to you right on the jet bridge as you are stepping out of the plane. On top of that, while I haven't flown a regional jet lately, I do remember that the last times I did, the information that the overheads were too small for most carry-ons was in the information on the ticket and in other airline communications. More importantly, it was also announced at the gate well before boarding began, so that people had a chance to grab some personal items like meds out before the boarding started.

Finally, I do not agree that allowing a passenger time to remove important items is "hand-holding." A passenger who expects to bring the carry-on that was paid for, and who is not given any inkling that there isn't space for it, is neither at fault for holding up the line, nor at fault for any delay in taking off.

(And, for the record, I am not opposed to hand-holding and a little kindness from a FA in a stressful moment that caught a passenger by surprise.)

Why are you asking me to pay for the things you are asking me to pay for? Did the hospital diagnosis state that this happened because we lost the medication? How does this relate to the missing meds? You need a letter from a doctor stating this hospitalization was a direct result of the missing meds and not your decision to see a Mexican doctor who gave you different meds. If that is the case- you should be suing the Mexican doctor who prescribed the meds.

Why are you asking for the bills you are requesting to be reimbursed? Did your insurance not pay those? State why you are asking for the reimbursement.

Tickets to go back? That isn’t goung to happen. The airline did what they were contracted to do- take you there and back. They don’t owe you new tickets. I would suggest removing that as it takes away from the real problem which is the FA not giving you time to remove the meds.

Your focus should be in re-educating the FAs. Please keep in mind that you bear some of the responsibility in this because you went to a Mexican doctor and your wife took meds that they prescribed. The right thing to have done was to call your doctor at home as soon as you knew the meds were missing and asking what you should do. Then you would have the proof you need that you followed a course of action that might have resulted in a different outcome.

Again - I am looking at this as what an executive would say reading this in proving that all of this was a direct result of the loss of meds. This is why you can’t find a lawyer to take the case I suspect because you can’t prove without a doubt the direct result of this to the meds and that some of the problem wasn’t caused by going to a doctor in Mexico.

I showed your story to my wife and she said this was an eye opener to her on what could happen if she were in your wife’s shoes. She also had not idea something like this could happen by mixing meds.

@Justaguy was a judge- he could probably give you a better explanation of what you need to prove damages.

Why are you asking me to pay for the things you are asking me to pay for? Did the hospital diagnosis state that this happened because we lost the medication? How does this relate to the missing meds? You need a letter from a doctor stating this hospitalization was a direct result of the missing meds and not your decision to see a Mexican doctor who gave you different meds. If that is the case- you should be suing the Mexican doctor who prescribed the meds.

Why are you asking for the bills you are requesting to be reimbursed? Did your insurance not pay those? State why you are asking for the reimbursement.

At this time I have read some very interesting comments left here on my post however some of them have put me in a position to exercise a bit of caution when traveling abroad.

1. The medications prescribed by the doctor were very similar to the ones that were lost.

2.. the doctor assured that the ones he prescribed would be compatible with the medications she lost.

3. Going to the gate attendant asking if we could pre-board. As you know many passengers have tried this and been told by the gate attendant that oneself must wait until theIr group is called. I see it a lot of times that many passengers will attempt to board ahead of the time when their has not been called and have been turned away and wait until your group is callec.

4.Your comment stating my wife should have called her doctor and confirmEd that the medications she received by the doctor were not going to be an issue. My response is: Her doctor was not available as it was spring break and was out of the office until we got home.

5. Lastly American Airlines attendants like with many airlines are in such a hurry today . It appears an on departure time is more important than the safety of other passengers especially in the case of what took place with my wife. All they had to do is listen to what she requested and allowed her time to retrieve her medications . This never happened that day we left pdx. Instead her carry-on was taken immediately and given to the baggage handlers so that it could go in the belly of the plane.

6. With medications prescribed by the doctor which he assured us were compatible . The one medication being Oxycodone that is not available in Mexico and she takes for pain he prescribed a drug called TYLEX CD was prescribed had nothing to do with hospital stay. Infact this precipitous is less strength than her Oxycodone which was in her carry on along with other medications .

7. Many of you folks here in this forum feel that we are asking American Airlines to compensate us. Truthfully of this matter they do. Many of you feel that AA doesn't owe us nothing that this incident could have been handled differently than
placing all the responsibility on my wife and myself..

I strongly feel that you folks here in this form look over the facts that led to a horrible inciident
Also I urge American Airlines look over the severity of this incident and seriously look over the incident than pointing the finger at myself and my wife.

Sincerely
Pete and Carol

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2016
If you do get the meds back, you might not want to take them. They were out of your possession (and who knows who had them before being found by the airline). You have no idea if they were swap out for something else or tampered with.

If you do get the meds back, you might not want to take them. They were out of your possession (and who knows who had them before being found by the airline). You have no idea if they were swap out for something else or tampered with.
We have received the medications and my wife did take them to her doctor to confirm that they had not been tampered with . I will mention to you that the medications were not found by the airlines but found by someone at the Cancun Airport shortly after our depature of March 30th other than the airline personnel . All I was told by the lost and found personnel returned them to the airlines as medications cannot be mailed from Mexico. I will also state and still don't understand why it took these people at the airport so long to get them back to DFW lost and found department . Nor do they know who found them and where they were found. It appears that they were found after we left Cancun to return home after March 30th . As we recieved a card post marked April 30th from someone at the lost and found them and mailed from Dallas-Fort Worth. Very interesting and quite amazing they were found.

Sincerely
Pete and Carol

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Pete I understand where you are coming from. We are trying to get help you. If you want monetary compensation, you need to prove damages. You can’t prove damages in this case. The fact that a lawyer has declined to help and your own words you said “I will also state that her missing medications had nothing to do with her hospitalization.”

Then you here is no reason for them to compensate you for the bills you are asking for.

You DO have a case of asking the Executives to re-educate the FA’s about the needs of passengers when boarding. They should have let you stand to the side and allow your wife to the remove the meds. They should have made announcements before boarding that the flight was full and everyone might not be able to have their carry one fit especially if you were in the last groups to board and to remove anything you absolutely needed from your bags before boarding.

I would also ask why the meds were even removed from the bag by the airline. That means someone opened the bag before putting it in the hold. My question would be - why. (Btw that’s why we use TSA luggage locks. This might not have happened if the suitcasevwas locked). Focus on THAT- who went in the bag and removed the meds? I am wondering if the FA went in and took them out for you and neglected to put them on the plane. That is what my
question would be.

And the biggest thing they need to do is stop allowing people that show up at the gate with more than allowed carryons. Had they done that there might be room for everyone’s carry ons.

That is what your focus should be. By asking for reimbursement for things that are not a result of the missing meds.

They might offer you more if you remove the other requests and make the case about education.

Sep 19, 2015
Hi Christina, Thanks for responding!
I see what you are saying, but honestly, if we are to split hairs, I should point out the word "carry-on" is defined as a bag that you carry on board the plane. That's why it's called a carry-on. This is distinguished from checked bags, which do not come inside the cabin, and which go into the cargo hold.

I might add that there is no text on the ticket (I'm holding an AA ticket) or in the written text that appears when you select your fare that the carry-on you have paid for may suddenly be denied. I could not even find such language on the website, but anyway, I can't imagine a person searching the website for information that contradicts the contract language on the ticket.

Regarding your statement that passengers have time to take out meds if the plane is still boarding, I respectfully disagree. In the cases I described, the passengers were already inside the plane, at their seats, trying to stow their bags when the FAs literally grabbed the bags, and did not want to give the passengers any time to get meds and valuables out.

As for the regional jets with the tiny overheads where everyone's carry-on is gate-checked, I would like to point out that these gate-checked bags are not put with the regular checked baggage, nor are they sent to the baggage claim. They are handed right back to you right on the jet bridge as you are stepping out of the plane. On top of that, while I haven't flown a regional jet lately, I do remember that the last times I did, the information that the overheads were too small for most carry-ons was in the information on the ticket and in other airline communications. More importantly, it was also announced at the gate well before boarding began, so that people had a chance to grab some personal items like meds out before the boarding started.

Finally, I do not agree that allowing a passenger time to remove important items is "hand-holding." A passenger who expects to bring the carry-on that was paid for, and who is not given any inkling that there isn't space for it, is neither at fault for holding up the line, nor at fault for any delay in taking off.

(And, for the record, I am not opposed to hand-holding and a little kindness from a FA in a stressful moment that caught a passenger by surprise.)
Jane4321 the ticket is for flying from A to B with X restrictions. I can buy a ticket from A to B with Y restrictions -- yet both of us are subject to the contract or condition of carriage.

The contract or conditions of carriage for AA clearly states the following:

"Carry-on bags

In general, you're allowed 1 bag and 1 personal item:
  • Your bag must fit in the sizer at the airport.
  • Your personal item must fit under the seat in front of you.
  • All bags must be stowed before takeoff.
Diaper bags, child safety seats, strollers and medical or mobility devices don’t count as your bag or personal item. You may carry on a fully collapsible stroller if it's under 20 lbs. and fits in an overhead bin. All other strollers must be checked at a ticket counter.

In all cases, we reserve the right to decide if your carry-on items are suitable to bring on board and if there is enough space in the overhead bins.

If you need to check your carry-on bags, be sure to take any fragile or valuable items like your keys, medication or computers with you on board. Also remove and carry on any e-cigarettes and spare batteries for laptops, cameras or other mobile devices.

There are additional carry-on restrictions for certain fares, aircraft and airports. We may have to check your bag at the gate if the overhead bins are full or if there are restrictions. Overhead bin size varies, and some planes and American Eagle flights have smaller bins."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp

There are many general restrictions that AA has that are not on the individual ticket that all passengers must follow -- like transporting alcohol that is over 70 proof in the check in baggage (reminder that I must leave my bathtub hooch at home).... as soon as one buys the ticket for a specific flight they agree to be bound by the general contract of carriage ---

I have been the last to board several times because of late incoming connections and what one does is step out of the way and open the bag on the jetway. All gate checked luggage is put on the jetway for the baggage people to carry downstairs and load.

And several times I have had to gate check on regional jets and was warned it would not be available at the plane but at baggage claim for "operational reasons" (yes LGA is the culprit".

I do not like what air travel has become; rapid turnaround of planes, charging for everything, cramped and horrible seats. But part of getting a successful resolution is to address the problem reasonably. The airline's contract gives themselves the right to check carry ons; arguing anything else is not credible and will not lead to any sort of satisfactory resolution. The fact that this is disclosed on the website would make any other argument specious.

Sep 19, 2015
Pete I understand where you are coming from. We are trying to get help you. If you want monetary compensation, you need to prove damages. You can’t prove damages in this case. The fact that a lawyer has declined to help and your own words you said “I will also state that her missing medications had nothing to do with her hospitalization.”

Then you here is no reason for them to compensate you for the bills you are asking for.

You DO have a case of asking the Executives to re-educate the FA’s about the needs of passengers when boarding. They should have let you stand to the side and allow your wife to the remove the meds. They should have made announcements before boarding that the flight was full and everyone might not be able to have their carry one fit especially if you were in the last groups to board and to remove anything you absolutely needed from your bags before boarding.

I would also ask why the meds were even removed from the bag by the airline. That means someone opened the bag before putting it in the hold. My question would be - why. (Btw that’s why we use TSA luggage locks. This might not have happened if the suitcasevwas locked). Focus on THAT- who went in the bag and removed the meds? I am wondering if the FA went in and took them out for you and neglected to put them on the plane. That is what my
question would be.

And the biggest thing they need to do is stop allowing people that show up at the gate with more than allowed carryons. Had they done that there might be room for everyone’s carry ons.

That is what your focus should be. By asking for reimbursement for things that are not a result of the missing meds.

They might offer you more if you remove the other requests and make the case about education.
Neil given that the medication was found in the Cancun airport I wonder if there was some sort of Customs screening to the incoming luggage. I remember my baggage and everyone else's being xrayed after landing in Bogota. The fact that one of the meds is not permitted to be sold in Mexico may be why they held them but were willing to return them. Given that there was a connection and the luggage was taken at the first flight there is little way a flight attendant would get them on the connecting flight.

One of the great issues with airplanes is carry ons. One of my friends will be visiting soon with her infant. She will be able to take her normal carry on as well as an additional diaper bag which will not count against her limit. I suspect that people that board after her may be resentful that she is allowed more, but of course it is reasonable, just as people who carry CPAP machines. And of course that means there will be less room for others. There simply is not enough room. Once one factors in the bulkhead seats who have no underseat storage there just is not enough room. And many airplanes have been reconfigured, taking out the closet in First, so more seats can be squeezed in .....

Sep 19, 2015
At this time I have read some very interesting comments left here on my post however some of them have put me in a position to exercise a bit of caution when traveling abroad.

1. The medications prescribed by the doctor were very similar to the ones that were lost.

2.. the doctor assured that the ones he prescribed would be compatible with the medications she lost.

3. Going to the gate attendant asking if we could pre-board. As you know many passengers have tried this and been told by the gate attendant that oneself must wait until theIr group is called. I see it a lot of times that many passengers will attempt to board ahead of the time when their has not been called and have been turned away and wait until your group is callec.

4.Your comment stating my wife should have called her doctor and confirmEd that the medications she received by the doctor were not going to be an issue. My response is: Her doctor was not available as it was spring break and was out of the office until we got home.

5. Lastly American Airlines attendants like with many airlines are in such a hurry today . It appears an on departure time is more important than the safety of other passengers especially in the case of what took place with my wife. All they had to do is listen to what she requested and allowed her time to retrieve her medications . This never happened that day we left pdx. Instead her carry-on was taken immediately and given to the baggage handlers so that it could go in the belly of the plane.

6. With medications prescribed by the doctor which he assured us were compatible . The one medication being Oxycodone that is not available in Mexico and she takes for pain he prescribed a drug called TYLEX CD was prescribed had nothing to do with hospital stay. Infact this precipitous is less strength than her Oxycodone which was in her carry on along with other medications .

7. Many of you folks here in this forum feel that we are asking American Airlines to compensate us. Truthfully of this matter they do. Many of you feel that AA doesn't owe us nothing that this incident could have been handled differently than
placing all the responsibility on my wife and myself..

I strongly feel that you folks here in this form look over the facts that led to a horrible inciident
Also I urge American Airlines look over the severity of this incident and seriously look over the incident than pointing the finger at myself and my wife.

Sincerely
Pete and Carol
Pete you are absolutely correct that the airline staff are under a lot of pressure for on time departures. The planes often have a very short turn around time (ie land and then are used for another flight) and management makes that a priority. The timing may be unrealistic which is why in many flight schedules there is even time for delay built in.

Is air travel today miserable? Yes it is. But once the flight attendant notices that there is not enough room on the plane for carry ons, it is too late as there are already people on the jetway with their carry ons. The FA can call the gate person for the people that have not passed by and warn them, but the people on the jet way are going to have an unpleasant surprise. If they make a guess and say "all passengers after boarding group 6 have to gate check" and someone in group 7 gate checks and then sees room there will be more arguments and complaints. I wish the airplanes had enough room for everyone to bring on a carry on and would hope that engineers are looking at this issue.

And do some flight attendants bark orders at people? Absolutely. I have seen several major arguments about bringing carry ons in the entrance of the plane. It is a very ugly situation. And I have been forced to gate check but I have been allowed to take out my computer and cameras before I hand over the bag -- but again, this is with other airlines, not AA.

But what Neil and others are trying to tell you is that to ask for so much compensation there has to be clear cause and effect.

If I am driving and cut you off and you rear end me, that is my fault. If I cut you off and you rear end someone one mile later then it is not my fault,

You were inconvenienced and stressed by the loss of medication. But you cannot prove, in fact you admit, that the medication issue had nothing to do with the hospitalization. So no business is going to compensate you for a copay for a health issue that according to you the business had nothing to do with. This is a pretty straight forward concept and one that is probably guiding the lawyers in refusing to take the case. And if the pain and suffering has to do with the hospitalization, well you admit that the foreign medication was not the cause, so again the airline is not responsible as it had nothing to do with the forced gate check and missing medications.

Part of getting a satisfactory resolution is to ask for something reasonable. If one asks for too much the a person will just discard the complaint. None of us here are AA employees and I have not flown the airline in over a decade and have no plans to use them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Pete, did you call AA when you realized the meds were missing? If there was no identifying information in the bag for them to notify you they had the meds, I wonder if they would have told you they had the meds at the airport.

I know we are Monday morning quarterbacking but your issue has certainly got me thinking on how this might have had a different outcome. It could help other travelers as well.

Jane4321 the ticket is for flying from A to B with X restrictions. I can buy a ticket from A to B with Y restrictions -- yet both of us are subject to the contract or condition of carriage.

The contract or conditions of carriage for AA clearly states the following:

"Carry-on bags

In general, you're allowed 1 bag and 1 personal item:
  • Your bag must fit in the sizer at the airport.
  • Your personal item must fit under the seat in front of you.
  • All bags must be stowed before takeoff.
Diaper bags, child safety seats, strollers and medical or mobility devices don’t count as your bag or personal item. You may carry on a fully collapsible stroller if it's under 20 lbs. and fits in an overhead bin. All other strollers must be checked at a ticket counter.

In all cases, we reserve the right to decide if your carry-on items are suitable to bring on board and if there is enough space in the overhead bins.

If you need to check your carry-on bags, be sure to take any fragile or valuable items like your keys, medication or computers with you on board. Also remove and carry on any e-cigarettes and spare batteries for laptops, cameras or other mobile devices.

There are additional carry-on restrictions for certain fares, aircraft and airports. We may have to check your bag at the gate if the overhead bins are full or if there are restrictions. Overhead bin size varies, and some planes and American Eagle flights have smaller bins."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/conditions-of-carriage.jsp

There are many general restrictions that AA has that are not on the individual ticket that all passengers must follow -- like transporting alcohol that is over 70 proof in the check in baggage (reminder that I must leave my bathtub hooch at home).... as soon as one buys the ticket for a specific flight they agree to be bound by the general contract of carriage ---

I have been the last to board several times because of late incoming connections and what one does is step out of the way and open the bag on the jetway. All gate checked luggage is put on the jetway for the baggage people to carry downstairs and load.

And several times I have had to gate check on regional jets and was warned it would not be available at the plane but at baggage claim for "operational reasons" (yes LGA is the culprit".

I do not like what air travel has become; rapid turnaround of planes, charging for everything, cramped and horrible seats. But part of getting a successful resolution is to address the problem reasonably. The airline's contract gives themselves the right to check carry ons; arguing anything else is not credible and will not lead to any sort of satisfactory resolution. The fact that this is disclosed on the website would make any other argument specious.
Pete you are absolutely correct that the airline staff are under a lot of pressure for on time departures. The planes often have a very short turn around time (ie land and then are used for another flight) and management makes that a priority. The timing may be unrealistic which is why in many flight schedules there is even time for delay built in.

Is air travel today miserable? Yes it is. But once the flight attendant notices that there is not enough room on the plane for carry ons, it is too late as there are already people on the jetway with their carry ons. The FA can call the gate person for the people that have not passed by and warn them, but the people on the jet way are going to have an unpleasant surprise. If they make a guess and say "all passengers after boarding group 6 have to gate check" and someone in group 7 gate checks and then sees room there will be more arguments and complaints. I wish the airplanes had enough room for everyone to bring on a carry on and would hope that engineers are looking at this issue.

And do some flight attendants bark orders at people? Absolutely. I have seen several major arguments about bringing carry ons in the entrance of the plane. It is a very ugly situation. And I have been forced to gate check but I have been allowed to take out my computer and cameras before I hand over the bag -- but again, this is with other airlines, not AA.

But what Neil and others are trying to tell you is that to ask for so much compensation there has to be clear cause and effect.

If I am driving and cut you off and you rear end me, that is my fault. If I cut you off and you rear end someone one mile later then it is not my fault,

You were inconvenienced and stressed by the loss of medication. But you cannot prove, in fact you admit, that the medication issue had nothing to do with the hospitalization. So no business is going to compensate you for a copay for a health issue that according to you the business had nothing to do with. This is a pretty straight forward concept and one that is probably guiding the lawyers in refusing to take the case. And if the pain and suffering has to do with the hospitalization, well you admit that the foreign medication was not the cause, so again the airline is not responsible as it had nothing to do with the forced gate check and missing medications.

Part of getting a satisfactory resolution is to ask for something reasonable. If one asks for too much the a person will just discard the complaint. None of us here are AA employees and I have not flown the airline in over a decade and have no plans to use them.
Well Christina and Neil perhaps you having much more knowledge of the incident . May I suggest that maybe you re-write a draft letter for me to review.
Maybe I am asking to much from American Airlines but unfortunately I don't like the idea that I am acting inappropriatelyr by requesting a huge amount of money which is not my intent.

Sincerely
Pete and Carol

Pete, you have no damages. You have to provide proof of damages for the airline to consider payments other than a future credit for a flight.
Neil are you telling me that her being unresponsive and a breathing tube placed and hooked up to a ventilator doesn't warrant damage? Does my wife have to be comatose . My god she was unresponsive for 3 days because a flight attendant did not allow her time to retrieve her medications . Realistically the attendant was in a huge hurry to get the plane ready for departure .
Sincerely

Pete and Carol

Sep 19, 2015
Pete what we are telling you from experience is that by asking for too much the request will be ignored.

We do not have more knowledge about the incident. We are relying on your words that the medication from Mexico had nothing to do with the hospitalization 5 days after returning. And as you are specifically asking to be reimbursed for the copay and ambulance charges from that hospitalization so there has to be a cause and effect. AA did a forced gate check -- no dispute there. The flight attendant barked orders -- I do not doubt that -- Medications were missing -- absolutely. New prescription medicines had to be purchased and then you returned home. Five days later wife was hospitalized.

But to ask for compensation for expenses one has to ask for reimbursement for expenses that were incurred because of having to get new medicines. And you said yourself that the foreign medication was not the cause of the hospitalization.

You are contradicting yourself by saying the Mexican medications did not cause the hospitalization and then saying AA is responsible for the hospitalization.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here’s my crack at this from what you posted:

Dear Sir,
I am trying to reach out to someone that will actually understand the severity of my claim on what happened on an American Airlines flight # 2567, with a locator of XXXXXX departing from Portland International airport ,,,
on March 21, 2018 to DFW, and a ticket number: XXXCCC with a departure time of 5:30 a.m. then transferring to a flight to Cancun Mexico from DFW at 12:35 p.m. Flight number:2684.

- we had three pieces of luggage. Two were checked and one was a carry on that met AA’s requirements for carry ons. My wife was also carrying a small handbag.
- our boarding pass put us in group eight for boarding. The gate attendant asked me to put the carry on in the sizer, checked it and assure me it complied.
- we waited until our group was called to board.
As we stepped onto the plane one of the flight attendants announced the flight was full and that our carryon has to be checked.
- my wife had her prescription medication in the carry on. She asked the FA is she could remove her medications from the bag. The FA wouldn’t allow her to step to the side to let others board so she could remove the meds.
- I tried to intervene to again tell the FA she needed the meds and the FA said other passengers were waiting to board and "let's go, let's go. “At one time the attendant made a comment that we were holding up others to board.
- when we arrived at the hotel we discovered the medications were missing from the carry on.
(Please insert at this point why you didn’t call AA or the airline as soon as you noticed the meds were missing.)
-We were now at the mercy of finding a doctor that spoke and understood English. We were able to find one the next day and the doctor was able to fill her prescribed medications. The doctor did not have the exact meds she was using but filled them as best he could.
-We arrived home on March 30th . On April 5th her daughter came down to our home and found my wife unresponsive . She called 911 to get an ambulance to transport my wife to the ER. That evening she was then taken to the ICU unconscious and hooked up to a ventilator.
-On April 8th she became responsive and later discharged on April on April 9th . I will also state that her missing medications had nothing to do with her hospitalization.
- the diagnosis of the cause of this incident is......(whatever the diagnosis was)
- Upon arriving home I did call lost and found at the Cancun Airport and was informed by the attendant nothing was found at the time we were there. However we did recieve a card from your lost and found warehouse at DFW post marked April 30th that belonged to my wife. She called on May 4th or 5th and my wife called to verify that she had actually lost her medications . They were then mailed to her from DFW as medications cannot be mailed from Mexico.

My request is for AA to re-train the flight attendants when a situation arises such as this that they need to allow passengers to remove any medications or valuables from carry ons that must be checked. There were no announcements made at boarding time that the flight was full and that bags might have to be gate checked. Had they done that, we could have removed the meds before boarding began. Had the FA simply allowed my wife to step aside and give her two minutes to open the bag and remove her meds, this may not have happened. I believe this also opens AA up to claims if missing items.

Another question I have is who removed the meds from the carry on between the time it was taken from us to the time they were returned to us. I frankly shocked we got them back but WHO took them out and why?

This opens AA up to theft claims as well. What if that bag had a laptop or expensive camera in it and they wouldn’t allow us to remove them? Who pays for that?

We are in debt several thousand dollars for the ambulance and co-paid as a result of the mishandling of the bag as well.

I would like an explanation as to how and why the meds were removed and how this can be rectified. This situation makes me think that on time performance at AA is more important than the health and welfare of your customers.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil are you telling me that her being unresponsive and a breathing tube placed and hooked up to a ventilator doesn't warrant damage? Does my wife have to be comatose . My god she was unresponsive for 3 days because a flight attendant did not allow her time to retrieve her medications . Realistically the attendant was in a huge hurry to get the plane ready for departure .
Sincerely

Pete and Carol
Pete, you state in your own letter THE MISSING MEDICATIONS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WITH HER HOSPITALIZATION.

Then why would you ask AA to pay you for any of the subsequent bills?

Your own words in your letter tell AA that none of this was caused by their actions.

What you CAN ask reimbursement for is the visit to the Mexican doctor and the cost of the new meds prescribed as long as you have receipts. Those costs WERE caused by the airline removing the meds from the bag.

I’m afraid I’ve given you as much help as I can.

I hope your wife had fully recovered and as I said- I’ve learned a lot from your story. But if you have actual proof that the hospitalization is a direct result of the missing meds- that’s what you need to prove fault to AA. Perhaps your doctor can craft a letter to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.