American Airlines Customer Relations need help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I will try to make it brief and if anyone needs more information I can provide information . So to know avail here goes. Left from portland international airport on March 21st 2018 to March 30 the to Cancun traveling on AA. Arrived at ticket to check 3 bags. 2 of the 3 had to be checked . I was told the 3rd bag could go as a carry-on . After receiving our boarding passes we proceeded to the gate. As being group 8 meant we were last to board the aircraft . Our group was called and the gate attendant asked me to put it in the sizer to assure that it could be carried on . The gate attendant stated it could be carried on . As we approached the cabin a flight attendant states that the flight was getting full and now told our carry-on had to be placed under the plane . My wife speaks up and states that our carry-on had her medications in her carry-on . The attendant does not allow her time to retrieve her much needed medications so that sohe has an enjoyable stay in Mexico. Instead we hear"let's go, let's go we also hear we are holding up other passengers. We feel that something could have been done to allow her medications to be with her. . I strongly feel that American Airlines could have found a place for her carry-on. Her purse could not accompany all her medications . This was not an option. As our flight was not a direct flight we transferred to our next flight in DFW AIRPORT . After awhile we arrived in Cancun and all bags arrived safely. It being a long day we went out to dinner and came back to the hotel. It was then my wifes medications were not in her carry-on . We now were at the mercy of finding a doctor that could prescribe her lost/stolen . We lucked out and was able to get her much needed medications with one exception the doctor was not able to fill her Oxycodone . Instead he gave her a prescription for Tylex which is a tyenol codine for chronic pain .
We arrived back home and on April 5th her daughter came down to the home and found her unresponsive and was transported to the ER. I was not home as I had left to get us a bite to eat nor did I have my phone which had a text mg from her daughter that her mom is in the ER and I better get there ASAP. Upon arrival I entered the room and sh had a breathing tube in place to get her to become responsive. It was not working and sent to the ICU. She was still unresponsive and not looking good for my wife. On April 8th she became responsive and discharged on the 9th of April.
Fast forward we recieved a post card on May 5th and was stamped April 30 and had a number for us to call. We called and the medications were in the lost and found dept.
I have reached out to the lost and found and was informed my wife's medications were found at the airport They were then given to American Airlines to get them to DFW as medications cannot be mailed. I have faxed AA Compaint Dept., I have also reached out to the FAA and still waiting for a response .
This incident that took place with my wife could have been prevented .
( a ) The flight attendant should have allowed time to retrieve her medications from her carry-on before it was taken and placed in the belly of the plane.
( b ) The gate attendant should have communicated to the flight crew and asked how it looked for a carry on to be brought on. To me I feel that being asked to put our carry-on in the sizer and assured us that it was OK we were good to go.
( c ) The flight crew made no effort to find a place for her carry-on especially knowing that her medications had to be with her.

I strongly feel AA has to do something . I have reached out to lawyers and the resources to find one to litigate our claim is very nil.

Troubled with AA and wanting answers . It is a good thing we had health coverage as the hospital bill was $58,000.00. Our responsibility is approximately $1,300.00
Can any of u folks help me out as I have exhausted all my resources and getting very frustrated .

Sincerely
Pete
Just make a concise list of the facts in chronological order, we'll take it from there.
Just make a concise list of the facts in chronological order, we'll take it from there.

On March 21 2018 the wife left for Cancun Mexico . American Airlines carrier
Flight locator- JDMNZW
FLIGHT # 2567
TO: DFW
Departure time: 5:30 a.m
Ticket #00124467963741

DFW TO CANCUN AIRPORT carrier American Airlines
FLIGHT #2684
Date : 3-21-2018
Ticket #00124467963763
Departed DFW TO CANCUN AIRPORT AT 1:15 P.M
Arrival at Cancun : 3:55 p.m
Arrived at Ojo de Agua Hotel in Puerto Morelos around 9:00 p.m. after dinner
Wife reached into her carry-on and no medications to be found . Recall her carry-on had to be checked aND flight attendant did not allow her time to retrieve them.
March 22nd went on a cenote tour and arrived back around 5:30 p.m. We asked tour operator about a good English speaking doctor. He gave us a name and went to visit him. My wife shared the list of medications that were lost at the airport and was able to fill them with the exception of Oxycodone and prescribed TYLEX CD for her chronic pain . My wife also shared the list of medications that she takes .

March 30th we returned home with American Airlines flight #1392 to DFW. Before getting to the gate we went to lost and found at DFW and filed a report on her lost medications .
Departed from DFW to Portland on American Airlines flight number 1165
Arrived in Portland Oregon at 2:40 p.m.

On April 5th her daughter came down to the home and found her mom unresponsive . She remained in the ICU where she was hooked up to a ventilator until she became responsive . It was not until April 8th she became responsive . I asked what the prognosis was and was stated she had some sort of opioid in her system which could have caused her not to become responsive . She was discharged on April 9th .

Shortly after she came home and started feeling better my wife wanted to file a claim. I called American Airlines Central Baggage Resolution Department and was put in touch with a lady named Denise Vice at 1-800-866-4010 extension 50657. She wanted copies of the co-pays. They totalled $59.51. She also stated Conditions of Carriage doesn't reimburse for lost medications, hospital stays, and ambulance transportation . Denise Vice also stated she was mailing a check out in the amount of $59.51 as goodwill gesture . At that time I requested that I would like to talk to her manager . About a week later I talked to him his name was Cesar Romeo and requested that he escalate our claim to someone who could review our claim. About 2 weeks later I got a phone call from him stating our claim was denied . He followed this with an email stating the same thing he told me . I have a copies of all paperwork I have shared with them and also the FAA
and the American Airlines Complaint department has recieved the facts.
After I had sent the document a Victoria Price from the complaint department would be reaching out to me very soon. I still await a favorable response . Reference # 1

About 2 weeks ago I decided to call Denise Vice and get a response what was going to be done. . She stated she was going to send out 2 vouchers totaling &200.00. At that time of discussion I accepted the offer however I will not use them as I don't think it was adequate reimbursement for what my wife went through .

Victoria Price now has all documents and asked her to escalate my claim to someone who can look over my claim I believe these were faxed to her stating a reference number of 1-2677744652. on April 26th.
About two weeks ago I called lost and found at Cancun airport phone number 011-52-1 998 8487200 extension 21124 a person called Bernardo told me that my wife's medications were found in the airport . . They were given to American Airlines at the Cancun airport and later sent to lost and found in a DFW warehouse by the airlines as medications cannot be mailed to the states. from Mexico On May 5th we recieved a post card stating they had my wife's medications . The post card that we recieved was post marked April 30. They sent them after paying fedex $35.00 to get them here in 2 days.
Good news all medications arrived safely and had not been tampered with.

I can also provide documentation to you by sending the information by fax. If this is something you would like please reply with a fax number . It may help you better understand this incident that took place... I have also reached out to the FAA and waiting for a favorable response..

Sincerely 2 troubled customers that strongly feel this incident should have never happened .My wife would be happy with a reimbursement for pain and suffering and they pay what we paid after insurance paid all but $1,028.00 for the hospital and $250.00 for the ambulance transportation .

Pete & Carol

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry to hear of the problem with the carry on your wife’s hospitalization after return.

There is often not enough room on most flights for all the carry on bags. Once a person is in the last 2 groups to board there is a strong chance that there will be no room. Medicine, wallet, passport, electronics and keys should not be checked. The time to prepare for this issue is when standing in line for boarding, when the gate attendants are making announcements about the flight. If it is a full flight, one needs to be prepared, even if it means getting a plastic bag from a news stand to carry.

Is there any reason that the medicine could not be placed in a bag under the seat in front of you if the purse was too small?

The gate agent has no idea how full the flight is. Once the Flight attendent says no room then that is it. And the FA is not going to start doing musical bags to make room for the last bags and not going to force someone’s bag to check in to accommodate yours. Many other people take medications.

Travelers have to be proactive and be prepared.

It is good that a dr was seen promptly and medications replaced.

Now what I do not understand is why you are blaming AA for the hospitalization. You returned on the 30th of March and the hospitalization was on April 5th.

How does that have anything to do with the trip?
Saying there was opioid making your wife unresponsive— was that the diagnosis? Your wife has a rx for Oxycodone. That is a schedule II drug — a strong opioid. She was given Tylex in Mexico which has codeine and is Schedule III opioid. Oxycodone is significantly stronger — 10 mg of Oxycodone is twice as strong as 60 mg of Codeine. So I am not sure what you mean about opioid causing unresponsiveness— isn’t that called an overdose? Is there an issue with the medications from Mexico?

You received reimbursement for the missing medication and a voucher.

You will not receive money for pain and suffering.

You will not get the hospital copay paid as there is zero evidence that AA had any responsibility for the hospitalization 6 days after your return.

The FAA will not do anything. They are finally dealing with engines that break midair, such as on the SW flight were someone died.

A lawyer is not going to take this case unless said lawyer is desperate and you pay for every second of their time.

My advise would be to focus on your wife’s health and memories of the better parts of the trip.

I am not a fan of AA have not flown them in over a decade but the hand luggage problem is on all the airlines.

I am sorry to hear of the problem with the carry on your wife’s hospitalization after return.

There is often not enough room on most flights for all the carry on bags. Once a person is in the last 2 groups to board there is a strong chance that there will be no room. Medicine, wallet, passport, electronics and keys should not be checked. The time to prepare for this issue is when standing in line for boarding, when the gate attendants are making announcements about the flight. If it is a full flight, one needs to be prepared, even if it means getting a plastic bag from a news stand to carry.

Is there any reason that the medicine could not be placed in a bag under the seat in front of you if the purse was too small?

The gate agent has no idea how full the flight is. Once the Flight attendent says no room then that is it. And the FA is not going to start doing musical bags to make room for the last bags and not going to force someone’s bag to check in to accommodate yours. Many other people take medications.

Travelers have to be proactive and be prepared.

It is good that a dr was seen promptly and medications replaced.

Now what I do not understand is why you are blaming AA for the hospitalization. You returned on the 30th of March and the hospitalization was on April 5th.

How does that have anything to do with the trip?
Saying there was opioid making your wife unresponsive— was that the diagnosis? Your wife has a rx for Oxycodone. That is a schedule II drug — a strong opioid. She was given Tylex in Mexico which has codeine and is Schedule III opioid. Oxycodone is significantly stronger — 10 mg of Oxycodone is twice as strong as 60 mg of Codeine. So I am not sure what you mean about opioid causing unresponsiveness— isn’t that called an overdose? Is there an issue with the medications from Mexico?

You received reimbursement for the missing medication and a voucher.

You will not receive money for pain and suffering.

You will not get the hospital copay paid as there is zero evidence that AA had any responsibility for the hospitalization 6 days after your return.

The FAA will not do anything. They are finally dealing with engines that break midair, such as on the SW flight were someone died.

A lawyer is not going to take this case unless said lawyer is desperate and you pay for every second of their time.

My advise would be to focus on your wife’s health and memories of the better parts of the trip.

I am not a fan of AA have not flown them in over a decade but the hand luggage problem is on all the airlines.

Christina H.
Thanks for your response. I will try to answer your questions .

1. We have not received no voushers yet.

2. The flight attendants did not announce to any of us that the flight was full . It was not until we set foot onto the plane.

3 The space under the seats were taken and my wife's purse is way to small to accommodate her medications .

4. How were we to know that being the last group to board would cause an issue with a carry-on .

5. The medication she received by the doctor may have caused a reaction to become unresponsive

6. Many of us travelling to a warmer climate will pack lighter clothes and change prior to arrival.

7. I am not a doctor however I was informed by the doctors and nurses that certain opioids can remain in your body for sometime. They have seen cases that it can be 24 hours, and sometimes much longer.

By giving us two vouchers which we have not yet received and issuing a check for the co-pays tells me that American Airlines is guilty of what took place. Its like giving a pacifier to a crying baby. Besides with what has taken place on airlines recently they do not want to be in the eyes of the media.

Sincerely

Pete and Carol

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018
It appears to me that you're trying to cash out at the airlines expense. It is your responsibility to keep essential medications with you when travelling. Your wife's purse might have been to small but what about the bags you placed under the seat in front of you? The airline is not responsible if a foreign doctor prescribed the wrong medication.

Plus you have no conclusive evidence that your wife's condition was caused by the medication. The reason you cannot find a lawyer to take your case is because you don't have one. The vouchers offered by the airline are a basic goodwill gesture, not an admission of guilt.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi, Pete - I am responding to your points below in your original post in red. I do want to tell you that I am not unaware of the issues you had - my wife has been undergoing pain management for over 15 years and I know if she did not have her meds that she would undergo withdrawals and it would not have been pretty and in fact can be life threatening. But once you bought drugs in Mexico - while I understand you were trying to avoid that happening to your wife - you took on the responsibility of what happened. My wife NEVER ever puts her meds in her carry on - she changes her handbag so that she has one big enough to fit them. They are never out of her possession.

I also know that when you returned home and called your doctors to replace the lost meds - that you might have had a hard time with the pharmacy filling a prescription if it was less than 30 days since the prescription was originally filled. But the hospitalization that may have happened because of the interaction of drugs is really not the fault of AA especially since it happened several days later. When you arrived home, did you call your wifes doctor and tell them what had happened so they could have told you what to do to re-accommodate her to the Oxy?

If you had a case - a lawyer would have grabbed it right away.

I am sorry this happened but you bear part of the responsibility by not taking the drugs out of her carry on. They would have waited five minutes for you to do that. You simply needed to step to the side and allow other passengers to board while she took the meds out.

We do have company contacts on top of our page for AA. Read the information about writing and then start with the first executive at AA and see what they say. You can take it up to the CEO and hope that perhaps they might offer you more than they are offering now. We have seen things we thought would be successful hit the desk of the right executive and accommodations made by a well written letter. It doesn't hurt to try.

Christina H.
Thanks for your response. I will try to answer your questions .

1. We have not received no voushers yet.

2. The flight attendants did not announce to any of us that the flight was full . It was not until we set foot onto the plane. If you are not a frequent traveler you might not know that being in the last boarding group usually will result in not being allowed a carry on. In the future to avoid this - do your online check in 24 hours before a flight. Boarding numbers are usually given when you do online check in. Those who don't do it or do it very late often end up in the last boarding group.

3 The space under the seats were taken and my wife's purse is way to small to accommodate her medications . No one is allowed to use the space under the seat in front of you. That is for your personal item if the overhead is filled. You could have asked the FA to tell whoever had items under the seat in front of you to remove them. If your wife had her meds in a plastic zip lock bag she could have pulled them out of the carry on and taken them onboard that way.

4. How were we to know that being the last group to board would cause an issue with a carry-on . Unless you are a frequent traveler you migh tnot know this but I haven't been on a flight in the last year that announcements weren't made before any boarding began that if you are int he last groups you might not be able to take your carry on.

5. The medication she received by the doctor may have caused a reaction to become unresponsive. That is why the US doesn't recommend buying drugs in Mexico. That isn't AA's fault.

6. Many of us travelling to a warmer climate will pack lighter clothes and change prior to arrival.

7. I am not a doctor however I was informed by the doctors and nurses that certain opioids can remain in your body for sometime. They have seen cases that it can be 24 hours, and sometimes much longer. Which is why when traveling to other countries you should never buy prescriptions they sell over the counter or mix meds. Again- not AA's problem.

By giving us two vouchers which we have not yet received and issuing a check for the co-pays tells me that American Airlines is guilty of what took place. Its like giving a pacifier to a crying baby. Besides with what has taken place on airlines recently they do not want to be in the eyes of the media. They are guilty of losing the bag and they are reimbursing you for that. They aren't guilty of the issues that happened because you bought drugs in Mexico to substitute.

Sincerely

Pete and Carol

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Your wife did not file a report of the lost medication until departure. As the medication was in the Cancun airport it could have been easily retrieved, and the airport is close to the hotel -- what less than 30 miles away? The medication may have been taken out of the bag by customs for initial screening on arrival. That would have prevented the need to go to a dr in Mexico. But there was not an attempt to even check there and a report was only filed in Dallas on the return.

Did you ever check with your dr upon returning? Did you ask about an insurance override for lost medication?

The problem of counterfeit or bad medication that can cause a reaction or unintentional overdose (ie not the dosage it should be) is a real consideration. However, have you had the medication tested? Do you know there is something wrong with it?

Most airlines makes announcements that there may not be enough room in the overheads. The airline would have waited 3 minutes to open the bag and take out the medications. I have had to do that with a computer. It is likely that the FA would have even given you an unused plastic garbage bag to carry them into the plane and put them under the seat in front of you. Were you the absolute last person to board? You could stop into the jetway and open the luggage. Had there been an attempt the plane would have waited the 3 minutes as the last passengers board.

The problem is you have zero proof, even that there is something wrong with the medication. And if there was something wrong with the medication, why would the problem show up on April 5th after taking the medication since March 22nd? Or was this something not taken every day?

A goodwill gesture is not an admission of guilt.

This is not something that would interest the media. Go look at AA's facebook page and see how many people are complaining about forced gate checked bags, lost luggage etc and some with lost luggage with medication. And look at how many of those stories interest the media -- next to zero.

Travel, particularly international, requires some thought and preparation. It is unfortunate that airplanes do not have enough room for all the carry on luggage, but that is a fact of current air travel.

If you are looking for a payout for "pain and suffering" you likely will not get it. If you are unreasonable in your demands the airline may stop talking to you at all.

And as noted, an ethical lawyer will not file a frivolous law suit because they can be sanctioned by the court. If lawyers are not interested, what does that tell you?

It appears to me that you're trying to cash out at the airlines expense. It is your responsibility to keep essential medications with you when travelling. Your wife's purse might have been to small but what about the bags you placed under the seat in front of you? The airline is not responsible if a foreign doctor prescribed the wrong medication.

Plus you have no conclusive evidence that your wife's condition was caused by the medication. The reason you cannot find a lawyer to take your case is because you don't have one. The vouchers offered by the airline are a basic goodwill gesture, not an admission of guilt.

Lori Ann your response to my incident is quite interesting . Putting the carry-on under the seat was not an option . Again I will mention that it was until we set foot in the cabiin the flight attendant stated that her carry-on had to be checked under the plane. Secondly again the flight attendant never allowed my wife no time to remove her medications . And lastly her medications got lost at the airport . My point being is that " if " the flight attendant had given her time to get to her medications the incident would have never happened and she would have never had to find a doctor . My wife does not abuse pharmaceuticals . The one medication she does take is for pain as for the others are prescribed for depression and anxiety diisorders. I have been married to my wife for almost 20 years and she has never had an incident like this happen to her.

Everyday I thank God that she came out of her state of being unresponsive and doing very well .

Sincerely
Pete and Carol

Sep 19, 2015
Did you ask for time to take the medications out? were you the last person to board? I have had to gate check and always had time to open bag and grab things, but this is with other airlines.

May 16, 2018
Hello everyone, It seems like the original poster made some mistakes -- people often do -- but I would like to point out that it isn't always so simple to take things out of a carryon when the FAs are in a hurry to take off.

While it would seem reasonable for people here to assume that the FA would allow a passenger a few minutes to grab meds and other necessities, the reality is that the FAs sometimes do not. I have witnessed FAs in an incredible hurry (perhaps they are under pressure for their on-time ratings) who have literally grabbed carryons that they decided should be checked right out of the passenger's hands. I have also seen that if a passenger protests, the FA invariably threatens to throw the passenger off the plane and call the authorities.

Perhaps the original poster should have anticipated something like that, but I just would like ask the group how exactly a non-frequent flier would be expected to even imagine that he or she couldn't just board with the regulation-size carry-on that follows the rules printed on the ticket and website, especially when you consider that American Airlines in particular charges charges a higher fare for a seat that allows a carry-on.

I invite you to visit the website and have a look. When you select the higher fare, it states in writing that the fare includes a carry-on. This is differentiated in writing from the ticket price that does not include a carry-on. (I should add that on the actual ticket, it actually states that the passenger can bring 2 carry-ons!) \

I don't see any text anywhere that states that if a flight is full, that people who paid extra for a carry-on can anyway have it taken and checked. Sure, we forum readers and the frequent fliers know the dirty secret, but how is everyone else supposed to know?

Did you ask for time to take the medications out? were you the last person to board? I have had to gate check and always had time to open bag and grab things, but this is with other airlines.
Yes we certainly did. And as I mentioned they ( gate agent and flight attendant )did not allow my wife time to get into her carry-on to retrieve her much needed medications . At one time we heard the flight attendant say "let's go, let's go and that there are other passengers to board". Again I will say what happened to my wife should have never happened . The attendants knowing she had her medications in her carry-on and we had already entered the cabin they could have found someplace to store it. I am not asking for very much from American Airlines either.

Indeed I am grateful that my wife became responsive as it was a real terrible site when you see your loved one hooked up to a ventilator and you see all these IV's hooked up to her. It's more harder when the chaplan enters the room and states that it doesn't look good . The doctors and nurses don't say much either which was even more troublesome .

Two troubled passengers,
Pete and Carol

Hello everyone, It seems like the original poster made some mistakes -- people often do -- but I would like to point out that it isn't always so simple to take things out of a carryon when the FAs are in a hurry to take off.

While it would seem reasonable for people here to assume that the FA would allow a passenger a few minutes to grab meds and other necessities, the reality is that the FAs sometimes do not. I have witnessed FAs in an incredible hurry (perhaps they are under pressure for their on-time ratings) who have literally grabbed carryons that they decided should be checked right out of the passenger's hands. I have also seen that if a passenger protests, the FA invariably threatens to throw the passenger off the plane and call the authorities.

Perhaps the original poster should have anticipated something like that, but I just would like ask the group how exactly a non-frequent flier would be expected to even imagine that he or she couldn't just board with the regulation-size carry-on that follows the rules printed on the ticket and website, especially when you consider that American Airlines in particular charges charges a higher fare for a seat that allows a carry-on.

I invite you to visit the website and have a look. When you select the higher fare, it states in writing that the fare includes a carry-on. This is differentiated in writing from the ticket price that does not include a carry-on. (I should add that on the actual ticket, it actually states that the passenger can bring 2 carry-ons!) \

I don't see any text anywhere that states that if a flight is full, that people who paid extra for a carry-on can anyway have it taken and checked. Sure, we forum readers and the frequent fliers know the dirty secret, but how is everyone else supposed to know?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes we certainly did. And as I mentioned they ( gate agent and flight attendant )did not allow my wife time to get into her carry-on to retrieve her much needed medications . At one time we heard the flight attendant say "let's go, let's go and that there are other passengers to board". Again I will say what happened to my wife should have never happened . The attendants knowing she had her medications in her carry-on and we had already entered the cabin they could have found someplace to store it. I am not asking for very much from American Airlines either.

Indeed I am grateful that my wife became responsive as it was a real terrible site when you see your loved one hooked up to a ventilator and you see all these IV's hooked up to her. It's more harder when the chaplan enters the room and states that it doesn't look good . The doctors and nurses don't say much either which was even more troublesome .

Two troubled passengers,
Pete and Carol

Pete, I have no doubt that this was horrifying ordeal.

I do think you should take this up to the Executives at AA at the very least for the to retrain the FAs to allow someone to remove meds from their carry ins when gate checking is required. You might get more by approaching the Executives as a safety issue and educate them on what the rush and loss of meds did.

That is what is really needed. Did your own health insurance cover the cost of her hospitalization costs?

Pete, I have no doubt that this was horrifying ordeal.

I do think you should take this up to the Executives at AA at the very least for the to retrain the FAs to allow someone to remove meds from their carry ins when gate checking is required. You might get more by approaching the Executives as a safety issue and educate them on what the rush and loss of meds did.

That is what is really needed. Did your own health insurance cover the cost of her hospitalization costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.