American Airlines - Changing Reservation??

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 30, 2018
I booked online, and the dates for the flights are wrong. I have called the airlines twice, the website, and an additional help desk. I cannot afford a $200+ charge to change the dates. If I don't change them, the trip wont even be plausible for us. Any help would be appreciated!

Nov 27, 2017
Has it been within 24 hours or is the flight beyond 7 days? If it is, then you can cancel the flight without charge. Have you gone back online to check to see if you can cancel?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sorry- you had 24 hours to correct it at no charge. You’ll have to pay to change it plus if the cost of the tickets went up, you’ll need to pay the fare difference.

It’s a necessity to check the confirmation as soon as you received it to make sure it’s correct. A few years ago you didn’t even have 24 hours to correct it - you were charged a change fee if you found it two minutes after you booked.

Wish we had better news.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry that this happened. Did you input the wrong dates when you booked? Or has your reason to fly had a date change? The only thing I can think of is to write to Customer Service, admitting that you made an error and asking them to change the dates without the penalty. Be concise and polite, you are asking for a favor. If that doesn't work, you can use our Company Contacts to go up the corporate ladder. Airlines are making millions from these fees, so it's a really long shot, but worth a try. Please keep in mind that the fare may increase, so time is of the essence if you have to rebook.

Mar 28, 2018
Hi RoamnigJones, there might be another possibility (albeit remotely) - call customer service and if they do not agree to waive the fees for the changing the dates, check if they might allow you to change the name of the passenger? American do not usually allow that, but sometimes airlines make exceptions. I've travelled before with British Airways, who also do not officially allow name changes, but after explaining the situation they have agreed to help me, in exchange for paying a fee. That way you can sell the flight to someone else for the current dates, and buy yourself a new flight with the correct dates. Lots of low-cost airlines allow name changes, but unfortunately quite a few of the regular ones still resist. Good luck!

Sep 19, 2015
The US legacy carriers are very strict with name changes - Mary Smith may be corrected to Mary Smyth but it is not going to happen that it changes to John Doe —- exceptions have been made for the death of a passenger.

This is not viable and the legacy airlines do not permit reselling tickets.