Amazon would rather I sent items back and reorder than offer a refund?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 18, 2017
I purchased 3 items from Amazon.com just a few days back.. I did some checking and 3 of them are now selling for lower prices. I chatted with their customer service rep and they refused to help me out. I then tried customer service on twitter... finally I emailed all the contacts listed here for Amazon.

I am seeking a $50 refund total for all three items ($10, $20 and $20).

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker (Single, Black)
Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black)
Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)

I could just send everything back and reorder but amazon insists this is the only way, and they won't budge on a refund even though I haven't even received the items yet.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm not sure I'm grasping this issue, Phillip. You ordered from Amazon, found lower prices somewhere else or on Amazon, have not received the order. You're asking Amazon for a refund of the price difference before you receive the merchandise. They're asking you to accept shipment of the items, return them, obtain a full refund, and re-order them wherever you found the lower prices. Is this about right?

I don't think a high-volume internet retailer has the capability to deliver that level of customer service. Your favorite clothing store in a high-end shopping center can do things like this; they have the time and the staff. But Amazon processes 90 billion transactions a minute, and they have to handle things according to their capabilities.

Sep 18, 2017
I'm not sure I'm grasping this issue, Phillip. You ordered from Amazon, found lower prices somewhere else or on Amazon, have not received the order. You're asking Amazon for a refund of the price difference before you receive the merchandise. They're asking you to accept shipment of the items, return them, obtain a full refund, and re-order them wherever you found the lower prices. Is this about right?

I don't think a high-volume internet retailer has the capability to deliver that level of customer service. Your favorite clothing store in a high-end shopping center can do things like this; they have the time and the staff. But Amazon processes 90 billion transactions a minute, and they have to handle things according to their capabilities.

jsn55,

Thanks for your perspective, but I'm not sure I understand yours either...

What are you suggesting would be the solution if you were in my shoes?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017
Receive the items, return them for a refund, purchase at the lower price. Isn't that what Amazon has laid out?
I'm fine with doing that, but one of the items isn't returnable.

Another concern is that Amazon bans users for returning too many items.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've placed over 400 orders, around $10k worth of stuff this year alone, so naturally I have some returns.
I can understand your concern then. And we have seen many problems here with people being banned from Amazon or having credits lost because of suspicious activity.

You need to determine how much of a risk you are willing to take for $50.

There is no way to cancel the order you have?

Sep 18, 2017
I can understand your concern then. And we have seen many problems here with people being banned from Amazon or having credits lost because of suspicious activity.

You need to determine how much of a risk you are willing to take for $50.

There is no way to cancel the order you have?
There is no way to cancel as they are in transit, and one has been delivered just today and is un-returnable. This really rubs me the wrong way about Amazon.

Sep 19, 2015
Are all the items sold by Amazon? Or are some sold by X and fulfilled by Amazon or sold by Y and shipped by Y? If Amazon is not the seller have you contacted the sellers? Why is one item not returnable?

Some credit cards have a purchase price guarantee; I know Citibank does but I have never tried to use it. Have you checked if you have that benefit?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Just as a warning. You could go to the trouble of returning the items and by the time you are ready to order them again the price could be up again and maybe even higher than you paid.
If this were me I'd be slightly PO-ed but would just go forward with what has transpired.
Overall, I feel like I save SO MUCH $ by using amazon as my go-to vendor that I would figure I'm still way ahead.
Do you really expect to get the absolute rock bottom price each time you purchase ? If you are happy with the price of 400 items and unhappy with the price of three items, I call that good for you, be happy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I spend a lot of money on Amazon myself and in all my years of buying, returned only one item.

If you want to be able to return things or want low price guarantees, maybe shopping locally is a better idea than buying on Amazon. You have to do an awful lot of returns to be banned on Amazon.

mmb has given you great advice about looking at the whole picture.