1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon gift card

Discussion in 'Retailers' started by Steve leon, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Romaine campbell

Cause there's no billing address for a gift card the items I buy the cards cover it and leave money so what else could cause the problem

2. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. Can you try again?

3. Romaine campbell

It must be the gift card cause the items I order come to less than $300 in total and I had a balance of 300 on my Amazon account which I just redeem from the cards purchase at the 7eleven store

4. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Ah, I understand. you just feel that this is the most logical explanation.

Lets assume that is the case, that someone else fraudulently sold this card to a person whom then tried to use it, and the card was deemed void/invalid due to the fraudulent activity. Have you called amazon and offered to email them a copy/picture of the purchase receipt and the front and back of the card?

That might get your account unlocked and your transactions completed.

Let us know how it all works out.
    Moving forward, consider only purchasing cards directly from the retailer.

5. Romaine campbell

I email them pictures of the card guess j need to email them the receipt too

6. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I would. Front and back of the card and the entire receipt, and make sure they can read it. That should get your account unlocked in a few days.

Otherwise you now have multiple ways to pursue the issue

7. Romaine campbell

Ok thanks again

8. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Sas is correct- in none of the cases we have had complaints about were the purchases ordinary. There was always issues with how the cards were purchased. So it is important to know how you bought the cards.

10. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

11. Romaine campbell

Dear Mr. Gayle:

We received an update from Mr. Graham Twidale, Asset Protection for 7-Eleven. He received an update from Amazon and Amazon reported the following:

Upon checking, they found that the Gift Cards: ************2216, ************2622 and ************1459 have been redeemed and used by someone by the time you contacted us. For reasons of security and privacy, we are unable to share any information about the recipient's use of the gift card.

However, the other 3 Gift Cards (************7664, ************3059, ************2389) were redeemed on account but the funds were not used. Since it seems that the Gift Cards were scammed and redeemed by someone else, we deactivated these 3 Gift Cards to prevent from being used by other persons.

Since Amazon has deactivated the cards you will need to contact Amazon directly to get these funds. The number to Amazon is printed on the back of the card. Please make sure that you ask to speak to a US based representative to assist you.

Sincerely,

Janey Appia
    Manager, Customer Relations
    7-Eleven, Inc.
    They send this and I contacted Amazon but still nothing

12. Romaine campbell

They were all bought at the 7eleven store in Orlando I have the physical cards and also my receipt but their not helping

13. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Wow, firstly I am amazed that Amazon replied to the person at 7-11!

No, if you want this solved, you are going to have to first try and help yourself.

Okay, so here is how you pursue this.... you need to not be hostile, or angry, etc. You need to be pleading and ask for their help.

The next thing I would do is reply to them and say something along the lines of

Well, it is a genuine relief to me that the 7-11 company did not sell me used Amazon cards. The 7-11 chain is a store that I have come to rely and trust in, and I am happy to see that I can continue to have faith in the brand.

That said, I did not redeem these gift cards and I received no monetary benefit from them. I will contact Amazon to discuss this matter, but may I please have the date and time that these gift cards were used, and perhaps the location (if possible) where the items were purchased from, or shipped to?

I have my store receipt showing the date and time that I purchased the cards. Perhaps with this information I can show Amazon that there is no possible way that I could have redeemed these cards. I am hoping that this information will help me not only better communicate with Amazon, but also help me prove it couldn't have been myself that redeemed the cards.

I have attached a copy of my 7-11 receipt showing proof of purchase.

Thank you for your time.

honestpointofview likes this.
  14. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

What 7-11 says is that, by the time they received the letter from you, the gift cards had been redeemed. They didn't say when that had happened. did it happen before you even purchased the cards? did it happen 5 minutes after you purchased the cards? (could have been the cashier at 7-11!) etc.

When you get a reply, if you get the information regarding redemption, maybe it will reveal something to you that you can then go to Amazon with.

Were you at work?
    Were you sleeping?
    Were you on an airplane?

Something that you have proof that you could not have purchased on the cards/were otherwise tied up and unable to place an order.

Regardless, if you get that information, or not, you need to call Amazon and take this up with them. Flat out ask them, I was the victim of fraud, what can I do to prove that to you?

Again, be gentle and kind, ask Amazon for HELP. If amazon says no no no, ask if you can escalate to the supervisor or someone. Try to keep everything in email/written. If you cant keep things in writing then take notes yourself. Write down the name of the person you spoke with, the date and time of the call, and their call center location (if they don't give it, ask for it) and their 'title' if you know it.

If they say no no no ask them " I made a purchase in good faith, assuming that Amazon would have prudent security measures in place such that this wouldn't happen. What can I do now? am out $x dollars which isn't an insignificant amount to me."

Next time use a credit card to purchase. You can dispute the charge if things like this occur.

honestpointofview likes this.
  15. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Wonder if it was the 7-11 clerk? They are the ones who tear the strip off the back and activate the card.

I think know the date and time of activation vs the date and time of using the cards is important.

Neil and sas80 like this.
  16. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

knowing the date and time of redemption, versus the date and time of purchase, is a start, right.

I hate accusing someone of theft in general, but it does seem like the store clerk could easily make a purchase the moment after LW left the store, especially if the security code was uncovered.

@Romaine campbell did you happen to notice if the security code on the back of the card was still covered when you went to use the card? Did you scratch off the area to reveal the code? If it isn't covered, that's a telltale sign right there that there is something amiss with the card.

jsn55 likes this.
  17. Kahhss

Whether the clerk could have stolen the numbers doesn't really matter at this stage and trying to make that determination (or worse the assertion) will only cloud the issue. That would be a matter for the police if a report is filed. If the OP makes that suggestion to 7-11 then they're just going to stop assisting right then and there. Accusing someone of theft without any proof is a dead stop to getting any help with any company.

You're right that if the code isn't covered that's a dead giveaway that there's a problem with the card and that's a good rule for anyone else reading this thread. In this particular case, if the OP had paid by Debit or Credit Card then I'd say this is the perfect time for a charge back. As you pointed out, this is a service that was paid for that was not received. From the messages in this thread I can't determine the payment method so this may not apply in this case.

18. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I think you should also tell 7-11 that you will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General in your state. I have a feeling someone from the store may be involved in this. 7-11 should be replacing those cards for you. Why is she sending you to Amazon when the money was used already? I don't believe Amazon is going to send you new gift cards for the three that 7-11 canceled but I hope I am wrong.

You might want to file a police report too.

JVillegirl541 likes this.
  19. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

No one is suggesting that OP blame anyone, we were just chatting back and forth about the possibility.

I thought he had paid by cash. Not sure? @Romaine campbell ?

20. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

7-11 is indirectly saying "you redeemed the gift cards" This is why it's so important to get the dates and times of redemption. He has his receipt, maybe he will get lucky.
    7-11 is telling him to go to Amazon hoping he will go away.

I agree with neil, contact the attorney general and file a complaint.

Neil and jsn55 like this.